• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

World Rugby Awards Night

ABs2011

First XV
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Hurricanes
Feel free to update as they happen and please let me know if there is a way of watching this online somehow.

But so far:

Nathan Sharpe and Brian O'Driscoll recieved IRPA special merit awards for being legends of the game.
Pakistan Rugby recieve the "Award for Character"??
Portia Woodman (NZ) receives the Women's 7s Player of the Year Award
Werner Kok (SA) recieves the Men's 7s Player of the Year Award

Big awards still to come - I'm picking a NZ clean sweep!

Nehe Milner-Skudder (NZ) takes Breakthrough Player of the Year! Very deserving I reckon!!

How Savea won try of the year over Goneva's I don't know.

Savea scored a fine try but no where near as good as fiji's try v Wales.

Nigel Owens for referee of the year!

Bit dubious this one given his performance in the final (incorrect calls against BOTH teams). He let the game flow which made it good spectacle. But I guess World Rugby does not want to give the award to another ref or else people would be complaining they didn't pick the best ref for the final.

How Savea won try of the year over Goneva's I don't know.

Savea scored a fine try but no where near as good as fiji's try v Wales.

Haha, classic, some people said it wasnt even a good try, what a joke!!

FYI, Goneva's try was always gonna struggle to win the award given it didnt get nominated :)

Savea's is a worthy winner mate, a fantastic try, with all sorts of skills on show.

So, Try of the Year goes to Savea's Lomu-esque try v France
Nigel Stramer-Smtih gets the Vernon Pugh Award for Distinguished service
Kendra Cocksege (NZ) gets Women's player of the year.
Nigel Owens wins the World Rugby Referee award.

I would've given the Try of the Year award to Goromaru. That try was PERFECTLY executed

I would've given the Try of the Year award to Goromaru. That try was PERFECTLY executed

I agree, but perhaps it comes down to which one is the best advertisment for world rugby. Savea's try has highlight reel written all over it regardless of who is watching. While Goromaru's requires some rugby knowledge to appreciate in full! Both great tries.

I agree, but perhaps it comes down to which one is the best advertisment for world rugby. Savea's try has highlight reel written all over it regardless of who is watching. While Goromaru's requires some rugby knowledge to appreciate in full! Both great tries.

I can agree with that

I see the advertising point and it makes sense.
Personally, i thought Foley's second try against England was brilliant.

Daniel Carter for World Rugby Player of the Year... Couldve easily been Nonu

Cheika gets coach of the year
and of course ABs get team of the year!

dan carter deserving IMO

I think Pocock would have been winning that race before the WC finals, but Dan put on a clinic in those last three games.

how was savea nominated and not nonu... That's just fricken Bizare, savea scored a lot of tries in the pool games and against france. But he's literally only had one really good test all season... Where Nonu has probably had his best year ever and performed every single test.

NZ's best players this year.

Dan carter
Ben Smith
Sam Whitelock
Nonu

Did you watch every France game in 2011?
I seem to remember him being standout all year.

Latest posts