• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

World Rugby Awards

Arundell breakthrough of the year after 29mins for England and single figure appearances for his club? Bizarre
Savea not being nominated? Even more bizarre

Capuozzo and van der Flier for me,

Coach is a really tough one - leaning towards Wayne Smith but none of them would be a shock/bad call

Capuozzo, Farrell, and the VDF as the second best in the world (that's all the shortlist is for surely...)

I think that Breakthrough Player will go to Capuozzo for his try in Italy's win over Wales but it should go to Sheehan. For me Sheehan has been the best in the world in his position this year and I don't think that the same can be said of Capuozzo.

(Worth mentioning that these awards include last year's AIs, not this year's, so Capuozzo's performance against Aus is irrelevant).

And try of the year:

Wait the French try is one scored against them? Okay sure....

Also no offence that Chile/USA doesn't get scored against Tier 1 opposition.

That has to one of LRZ's more easy trys. Guy with space runs fast.

Yeah, how is that LRZ try worthy of nomination, it was just simple hands + an easy run in for him!

Fernandez's try he set up against us in the second leg was better IMO.
Huge bump off and an incredible pass that turned the game around. He's class; should be in Europe.

What about the French try they scored against the all blacks from their own goal line last year, started by ntamack... probably better tries but that's one I can remember right now

What about beirne as a nomination for player of the year?

Ardie is clearly player of the year. Arundell who played 30 odd minutes? Fucken NH circle jerk.

Not that I'd have any Aussie getting even close - except maybe Frost for breakthrough player.

A New Zealand backrow undeservingly not getting the award* behind the Irish GOAT would be so ******* horny.

*Don't really think Ardie deserves it, was excellent of course but lost 4 games in a pack that was routinely beaten. VdF and Aldritt have both performed to a world class standard in better packs.

*Don't really think Ardie deserves it, was excellent of course but lost 4 games in a pack that was routinely beaten. VdF and Aldritt have both performed to a world class standard in better packs.
Do you not think that makes Ardie's form more impressive? It's easier to perform well in a pack that's collectively carrying/tackling/rucking well than it is in one that's being beaten, ie. it's easier to carry well when you're 1 of 8 than when you can be ganged up on because you're the only threat.

For me Savea should be in there over Am. Am's been great when he's played but he's been missing for a fair chunk of the season.

I'd also probably have Alldritt over Sexton but that one's less clear cut.

Winner for me would have to be either Savea or JVDF.

Ardie over vd Flier and Etsabeth over Am. How Am is there I dont know. 5 tests played then injured the rest of the year? He is a great player but its player of the YEAR, not player at least 4 months.

These awards are a farce anyway. After MaCaw won in 2009 over Fourie du Preez I knew it was just massive BS. Like the football variant where Messi won over Lewa last year, or how Modric EVER won it.

Interesting there's no mention of the best winger in the world AKA Cuthbert.

Priestland would clear up the "Average rugby player 10 years ago makes come back to international rugby" category.

Poor Scotland all those try were are pure **** material, it took 5-6 before they started scoring average ones.

Do you not think that makes Ardie's form more impressive? It's easier to perform well in a pack that's collectively carrying/tackling/rucking well than it is in one that's being beaten, ie. it's easier to carry well when you're 1 of 8 than when you can be ganged up on because you're the only threat.

For me Savea should be in there over Am. Am's been great when he's played but he's been missing for a fair chunk of the season.

I'd also probably have Alldritt over Sexton but that one's less clear cut.

Winner for me would have to be either Savea or JVDF.
I don't really think that way to be honest and I rate winning very highly for this sort of thing. The guy is an All Black, its not like Sergio Parisse dragging Italians kicking and screaming back in the day.

I think Aldritt would be my pick, he's been nothing short of phenomenal in the best team in the worlds best team this year.

Sexton would be my pick of the Irish lads, I don't think we win as many games swapping Sexton for any other 10 in the world and I can't say the Same for VdF. I think Sexton's mediocre back ups leave him a bit underrated ironically.

Dupont hasn't been at the same level this year in my opinion. Great 6n and has dropped a bit since.

Am hasn't played enough.

Women's breakthrough: Ruby Tui
Men's breaththrough: Ange Capuozzo
Coach: Galthie (I think NZ women got lucky against both England and France and NZ brought in an experienced coach from the men to save their hopes against other coaches with far less experience, Middleton would have if England had won. France though winning the GS was a huge step forward and shouldn't be dismissed.)
Women's try: Dow (English bias)
Men's try: Padovani
Men's: JVDF
Women's: Sansus

Latest posts