• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

World Rugby Chairman election Beaumont v Pichot.

Who do you want to be the next World Rugby chairman?

• Agustin Pichot

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Bill Beaumont

Votes: 15 68.2%

• Total voters

LeinsterMan (NotTigsMan)

G.O.A.T
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leicester
Pinching this from the mail
27084316-8211135-image-a-8_1586641998531.jpg

Billy Beaumont
v
Drip Pichot

For me it's tough
On one hand Pichot I think would modernise rugby.
- Wants to invest into a good rugby game
- Wants to look at things like Amazon Prime, Netflix, etc
- Understands that the player wages are way too high currently.
On the other hand the Guy comes up with some dodgy competition ideas.

I think Beaumont will win but I want Pichot to win.

26 is the magic number
Beaumont will get IMO
England, France, Ireland, Italy, Wales, Scotland = 18 votes leaving him to need a further 8.
Maybe Japan 2, USA 1, Canada 1.

What bothers me about Pichot is that he's concerned with bringing a better product but he's only talking about the on the field product. The reasons people like a sport usually has little to do with what goes on the field, but rather the communal and tribal aspects of it. Wish someone would come in and say "we're going to keep the game the same, but we are going to make rugby more accessible and give clubs the ability to become civic institutions."

I had to change my vote. I do like that pichot wants to move the game into the 21st century but he has so many terrible ideas. Hawk eye for offside gtfo being good at cheating is an integral part of the game and makes legends out of men. The only idea worse than nations league is a fourth Bledsoe.

Pichot just hasn't been professional enough over the last few years to deserve a promotion. The worst moment was when he quoted a random youtube video with dodgy at best sourcing and treated their stats as fact (when they were pretty much all wrong), on his official twitter account.

He's also an unending souce of terrible ideas, the world league chief among them. He has the best interests of rugby at heart (but especially Argentinian rugby) and he deserves praise for trying to modernize things, but no thanks.

That's not to say that he's all bad though, changing the residency rule probably wouldn't have happened without him and that was needed.

Beaumont seems like a bit of a relic and definitely isn't perfect but it's hard to imagine him losing, he'll have most if not all the main NH unions behind him, as well as NZ and I guess has a better shot at Aus/SA. Other than Argentina, is there anyone definitely behind Pichot (genuine question). Always hard to know with world rugby though, they're not as bad as they used to be but horse training is definitely still a major part of decision making so what'll happen is anyone's guess.

Would NZ back Beaumont?
Thought they want a price sharing scheme which is more a Pichot things.

If there was a way to have Pichot be in charge of things like getting a decent Rugby video game maybe even a good Rugby manager game. (Rugby BR....)
I wish Prem rugby would come out with a game pass or something with all the A league games, the non TV games and maybe even Academy games.

I just hate how far behind the times Rugby is.

The worst moment was when he quoted a random youtube video with dodgy at best sourcing and treated their stats as fact (when they were pretty much all wrong),
As much as I am not a fan of pichot, there was not an iota of lies in his tweet. Out of place? maybe. Misleading? You could argue that.
Wrong, as in factually wrong? absolutely not.

I will defend Jordi Murphy's (using him as an example) right to play for Ireland, but Pichot included him in the list of players who were born in one country and play for another. That is, again, true.
I could have used George North too.

If you are talking about cases like CJ Stander's, I'll support whoever prevents that from happening ever again.

As much as I am not a fan of pichot, there was not an iota of lies in his tweet. Out of place? maybe. Misleading? You could argue that.
Wrong, as in factually wrong? absolutely not.

I will defend Jordi Murphy's (using him as an example) right to play for Ireland, but Pichot included him in the list of players who were born in one country and play for another. That is, again, true.
I could have used George North too.

If you are talking about cases like CJ Stander's, I'll support whoever prevents that from happening ever again.
Some of the stats were definitely off, and the numbers were taken directly from some random youtube video on the subject. I'm not think he was intentionally misleading people but it's just weird he couldn't have gotten that information himself. And to be clear I by and large agree with him on the wider issue as well.

I think Pichot running will lead to Beaumont offering more the the SH nations. Maybe changing the residency to 7 years and having a way of getting more money to the SH unions.

What bothers me about Pichot is that he's concerned with bringing a better product but he's only talking about the on the field product. The reasons people like a sport usually has little to do with what goes on the field, but rather the communal and tribal aspects of it. Wish someone would come in and say "we're going to keep the game the same, but we are going to make rugby more accessible and give clubs the ability to become civic institutions."
Have you seen this?

I can understand if you don't believe him when he says it, but that sounded a lot like what you said you wish someone would have said.

i hadn't seen that before. I believe that he believes everything he says in that video. I also believe that there is a huge disconnect between "the heart of rugby is what happens every weekend in towns across the world" and "we need an annual national team championship."

I agree. I think the first part relates to what happens and the other to something he wants to make happen. I don't see how both can go together but I'm willing to listen.

Any idea Pichot's ever had would do massive harm to Ireland, Scotland and Wales at international and club level, so go Bill.
Pichot does have some modern ideas which I think the sport needs, but he's also an absolutely insufferable arsehole, and giving him more power would be a bad idea.

Billy B all the way
On the other hand - the current status quo will ultimately destroy the game outside Britain/Ireland and France.

https://www.the42.ie/agustin-pichot...gentina-5078720-Apr2020/?utm_source=shortlink

It's like they're both trying to outdo each other with **** ideas.
Basically "if I get elected I'll do everything in my power to grab as much revenue as possible for my home union and dress it up as modernising the game"

Edit: tbf he's got a right to be annoyed at a lack of response from the NH unions if what he says in the article is true, even if they don't support him a response isn't much to expect.

Last edited: