World Rugby confirms officials made errors in Ireland's shock Rugby World Cup defeat to Japan

Discussion in 'Rugby World Cup 2019' started by Jockstap, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Jockstap

Jockstap First XV

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Umaga's Witness

Umaga's Witness Bench Player

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Hurricanes

You can guarantee there were at least 3 times they were offside and weren’t called too.

4. Jockstap

Jockstap First XV

I just rewatched the game recently Japan were offside basically throughout the 2nd half but no penalty.

What's more if you're being penalised incorrectly it can destroy your linespeed, lads are afraid of getting off the line now because they're not sure if they'll get pinged for no reason.

5. Umaga's Witness

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Hurricanes

Well done japan on beating ireland, you should be proud.

It doesn’t sound like World rugby has come out and publicly announced this. It sounds like they have done their review of the game and let the coaches know there findings, and Schmidt has decided to tell the world that there were some wrong decisions. It’s not often coaches come out and do this, though I’d think they get told there were wrong decisions in every match. So why would Schmidt say this for this game? For this game especially a decent person would have just kept quiet. Dick move.

• Like Like x 8
  6. Jockstap

Jockstap First XV

Yes the oh so noble rugby coaches of the world whose jobs are on the line based on winning or losing have been keeping quite this entire time about the incorrect penalty count against them that happens every game.

7. Umaga's Witness

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Hurricanes

yet Schmidt’s job isn’t on the line. Just his reputation. Which clearly trumps all else.

• Like Like x 1
  8. The Alpha Bro

The Alpha Bro Fat Boi

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

He said it so we don't get Gardner or Garces in a knockout game, which is great, they've been the two worst refs this tournament. Also our defence is getting crucified in the media here and he's getting questioned as to why its too passive, hard to get off the line if 1/3rd of the penalties against you are incorrect offsides.

He was very gracious in the same presser too and praised Japan, but ultimately he's just had the worst loss of his career and has a bigger job to do so he's saying things that can positively affect his team and ref appointments.

9. profitius

profitius First XV

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Munster

He only spoke about those because they were clearly wrong. In a tournament where everyone is offside and no offsides are penalised, Schmidt has a right to be ****** off about being penalised when Ireland were onside!

Gregor Townsend better take note.

10. munstermuffin

munstermuffin Hall of Fame

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Munster

Can't blame refs too much either. We got 100% what we deserved

11. snoopy snoopy dog dog

snoopy snoopy dog dog First XV

Club or Nation:

Leinster

The better team won on the day so no complaints about the result from me. However the standard of refereeing has been appalling. Major investment is needed to get enough referees up to the required level.

Who's the head of refereeing? Is it Joel Jutge or Alain Rolland?

12. themole25

themole25 First XV

Club or Nation:

Western Province

Rolland. So I mean it’s obviously a world rugby conspiracy to **** over the Irish.

13. profitius

profitius First XV

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Munster

Stop making stuff up.

• Like Like x 1
  14. The Alpha Bro

The Alpha Bro Fat Boi

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

• Like Like x 1
  15. Jockstap

Jockstap First XV

I agree Japan should have won they were the better team on the day it still doesn't take away the fact that if this was a knock out game a teams tournament would be over due to 3 out of 4 offside penalties being bullshit. 3 out of 4, and to suggest that this happens in every game but the coaches keep quite is, I'm sorry, absolutely retarded.

16. Reiser99

Reiser99 First XV

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Leicester

My only issue is that almost every team could make this point and so Ireland aren't special. Fiji might have beaten Australia if Hodge had been sent off. They were certainly in the game at that point and Hodge went on to score a try. I know teams talk to WR all the time about decisions and even ask refs to watch out for things. Yes mistakes were made, but Schmidt needs to be careful that it doesn't come across as sour grapes, which personally based on his reactions it's getting close to.

• Like Like x 1
  17. The_Blindside

The_Blindside First XV

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

British Irish Lions

God, I love this game, despite the injustices and unfairness of shite decisions. It just reflects life and it is how you react to it. Of course It doesn't make the decisions made right, but I am sure Ireland will use the burning injustices to turn it around, whether it is this tournament or the next.

18. bushytop

bushytop First XV

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

London Welsh

This will help Ireland massively, the refs play a huge part in the outcome of games and now Ireland have ‘managed’ to get rid of one of if not their least favourite... check and mate.

19. Jockstap

Jockstap First XV

Forget about it being Ireland, ANY team getting themselves carded or not is in there control. Getting penalised for doing nothing wrong in a fundamental part of a teams play is a big difference and the knock on effects to a teams defense can be detrimental.

I don't understand how people are defending this, **** up once, fine, we're human but I'm glad he's been pulled from the England game, other refs need to see some consequences to their actions because they certainly have consequences on the result.

• Like Like x 4
  20. ragerancher

ragerancher First XV

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Bath

This. I think incorrectly penalising a side when they do nothing wrong is worse than not penalising a side when they do as there is absolutely nothing you can do as a team to stop it.

21. Reiser99

Reiser99 First XV

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Leicester

I get both the posts above, my point is that every team suffers bad decisions at some point and everyone at some point can claim the ref affected the outcome. However personally I don't see how going public benefits the team, apart from possibly not getting the ref again. I think it looks bad and should be kept private. Don't want it to become the norm where coaches regularly highlight how many mistakes a ref makes in a game as it will completely undermine them. Yes Angus Gardner has made mistakes, but he isn't going to improve by being criticised publicly and dropped for games during a tournament. Refs are different to players and it's not the same as a player having a bad game. On top he wasn't helped by the TMO or touch judges to make the correct calls. Overall I feel like this is a very slippery slope.

• Like Like x 2
Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!