• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

World Rugby increase residency qualification period to 5 years.

Didn't see that... can't remember it being reported though?

Concussion?!

With Cooper Vuna's caps for both Tonga and Australia despite being born in NZ. What exactly does this mean in terms of the direct rules on players now?

Have I missed something in this case or would a Tongan born in NZ with caps for Tonga (but hasn't represented them for 3 years )whos also been in England for 3 years qualify for England?

Last edited:
With Cooper Vuna's caps for both Tonga and Australia despite being born in NZ. What exactly does this mean in terms of the direct rules on players now?

Have I missed something in this case or would a Tongan born in NZ with caps for Tonga (but hasn't represented them for 3 years )whos also been in England for 3 years qualify for England?
That seems right yes... Haha

Didn't he switch via the Olympics loophole which they then closed (or made more difficult?) after the first Olympics?

So Veianu would have to try and get into team GB 7s

Honestly Oly I have no clue now im in the dark on this and the whole eligibility criteria hence the question haha!

Before the first Olympics they had a loophole where if you hadn't played international rugby for a certain number of years and were eligible for another teams Olympic side you could play 7s for them and then be qualified for that countries XVs side too. After the first Olympics they increased the number of years you need to have not played.

Plus i think for the Olympics you have to have a passport of that country

Yeah, the only way I'm aware that you can actually represent two nations is using the 7's mechanisms.

And that's only there because the IOC rules forced WR to allow it.

Latest posts