TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/world-rugby-raises-test-eligibility-to-five-years-20170510

Rugby's world body raised the residency period for Test eligibility from three to five years on Wednesday as it moved to stamp out controversial "player drain" from poor countries to richer rivals.

The amended regulation, which comes into effect at the end of 2020, comes after a review group decided rugby's current eligibility rules were "not in step with the modern game".

Let the project player battle commence...

Excellent news that it's changing, and whilst it's a pity it won't come into effect just yet, it is fairer on the players themselves who may have already signed contracts already with that in mind. No sympathy for the unions, but individual players...

It would be nice if there was provision for players representing their lower tier nation if they only get a couple of caps for their adopted top tier nation though, but I guess they've still got the 7s route to requalify (eg Robbie Freuan) which shows a degree of dedication - if not to the point of moving "back home"

I see they've also brought in 10 years cumulative residency for the likes of Rapava-Ruskin; and put a stop to the idiocy of counting junior, closed qualification rugby as senior, open qualification rugby. So no more trapping kids who happen to be at uni in Wales and calling them Welsh forever after a single U20 match.

Last edited:
3 years phase in makes sense means any current project player remains so but any 'new' one from now on will be under the 5 year rule.

Don't know how many will switch in the next 6-7 months that were not already prospects.

Right move though.

So if you sign in 2019 you're golden for the three year rule? It would have been better to just put it in place for any new contracts considering they'd never be able to make it stick legally for guys who signed under old systems.

So if you sign in 2019 you're golden for the three year rule? It would have been better to just put it in place for any new contracts considering they'd never be able to make it stick legally for guys who signed under old systems.
I read it as the other way round in 2021 if you have not qualified under the 3 year rule you must wait until you qualify under the 5 year rule.

So any player who signs a contact and moves before EOY 2017 can still qualify in under 3 years but any contracts 2018 onwards are all 5 year players.

EDIT: 2021 it comes into effect edited year to show this effect.

Last edited:
Like it,
As others have said: it's a shame it's not come in straight away, but it's good to see steps made

For example.
Jame Lowe. Signed before rule for Leinster. He is IQ in 2020. So he's ok if a player signs next year (2018) he's not IQ for 5 years. 3 year rule is to allow anyone already on the track to finish out on terms they agreed

Very happy with this although as stated above it might make progression from Tier 2 to Tier 1 more difficult for some countries, but that provides all the more encouragement to get youth rugby right. Might be some unexpected signings in the coming months as it'll be the last realistic chance to change your nationality.

Combine this with the entrenching of Tier 2 vs Tier 1 matches outside of the RWC and I think we can already say that Pichot is the single greatest person to happened to rugby globally.

dont like this and doubt it will make a diff. i can see all that will happen is marque players will never play for their home country and tier1 nations will poach them that much sooner.

this also does nothing for the minnow nations getting back their players once tier1 nations have discarded them. so a marque player can play game for a tier1 and conceivably never play a test match ever again.

Does the next senior xv rule still apply?

I like the new 5 year rule, but I would have liked them to have started it straightaway. Also I would have added a rule that you had to be a passport holder of the country you are representing.

It was getting to the stage that countries were becoming glorified club sides!!

Also I would have added a rule that you had to be a passport holder of the country you are representing. It was getting to the stage that countries were becoming glorified club sides!!
agree or at least some type of famial connection. manu tuilagi is from a small village in samoa yet plays for england. he's just a hired gun.
i know the olympics had issues with players that had no nationality connection to a country. i believe that was why quade wasnt allowed to represent aus in 7's.

i'm against this rule as the minnows still get screwed over and the tier1 nations are the only ones that benefit.

I'm all for this rule.
It would be nice to see it brought in straight away.
It would be nice to see an amendment for tier 2 and below.
Still a strong positive action moving forward.

agree or at least some type of famial connection. manu tuilagi is from a small village in samoa yet plays for england. he's just a hired gun.
i know the olympics had issues with players that had no nationality connection to a country. i believe that was why quade wasnt allowed to represent aus in 7's.

i'm against this rule as the minnows still get screwed over and the tier1 nations are the only ones that benefit.

Thats brilliant. Lets forget that Manu was brought up and played all his rugby in england and feels english. You should have picked some of the more obvious poaches.

Edit: Riki Flutey, thats who you should have said.

Manu was brought up and played all his rugby in england.
Is Manu English? U should try getting your facts right before shooting your mouth off. And Manu moved their in his early teens. He already showed rugby promise before moving to England.
What bs crediting England for his strength speed and coordination when he was already a massive talent when he moved there.

Does the next senior xv rule still apply?

I like the new 5 year rule, but I would have liked them to have started it straightaway. Also I would have added a rule that you had to be a passport holder of the country you are representing.

It was getting to the stage that countries were becoming glorified club sides!!
Yes the 2nd XV rule stays so if you play for A team etc you're tied in.
Most countries would allow passport if you are a resident for 5 years so I'd presume that it is ok.
I know on Irish imports
CJ Stander
Richardt Strauss
Findlay Bealham

They all have Irish passports.

Latest posts