• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

World Rugby Under 20 Championship 2019

Something really wrong with our age grade set up, to have so many premiership standard players play so **** together

Edit: of course it's your man who was spark out from the tip tackle who scored

Hopley as a coach IMO didn't do anything special at saints.
Scarysbrook is the defence and forwards coach of the team that got relegated in the Top league in Japan.
Whiffin is the only one of note IMO.

You are the Exeter of U20's rugby.

Player goes in for a tackle and guy drops to his knee before contact...players hit high due to the player dropping Nd gets yellow carded. Dipping into.tackle is as dangerous(for themselves)as the high tackle sometimes.

Deserved win for ireland, bad discipline by England

And thats prob a ban for the England prop.

Australia won fairly easily against Italy but set piece was supposedly a distinct weakness. Ireland should put us away.

Results of the first day:

England - 26 vs. Ireland - 42
France - 36 vs. Fiji - 20
Argentina - 25 vs. Wales - 30
New Zealand - 45 vs. Georgia - 13
Australia - 36 vs. Italy - 12
South Africa - 43 vs. Scotland - 19

Australia won fairly easily against Italy but set piece was supposedly a distinct weakness. Ireland should put us away.

We've a good set piece this year. Still in these games anything can happen. Ireland are weak defending out wide so I think the Aussies will exploit that.

Really good win but we missed Harry Byrne badly at 10. Healy did look good when he came on though, should start the next game. Penny would have made a difference as well. Injury kept Ryan Baird from making a proper impact in the Six Nations but he really showed up, he's streets ahead of Charlie Ryan despite the latter being captain. Craig Casey is class, if he isn't Munster's no2 by this time next year (assuming he doesn't have a loss of form or fail to adapt properly to senior rugby which shouldn't he a problem for him) there's something seriously wrong with Van Graan. We're absolutely stacked at centre as well, Hawkshaw out and we can still afford not to start a player as good as French.

Overall really happy even if you could see the difference the injuries made.

Anyone know if marcus smith will or can be called up? I know he turned it down for the baabaas game but hes a great young player who deserves to be there?

Presume not, as they called up a replacement
If he was only missing the first game they wouldn't have bothered

Really good win but we missed Harry Byrne badly at 10. Healy did look good when he came on though, should start the next game. Penny would have made a difference as well. Injury kept Ryan Baird from making a proper impact in the Six Nations but he really showed up, he's streets ahead of Charlie Ryan despite the latter being captain. Craig Casey is class, if he isn't Munster's no2 by this time next year (assuming he doesn't have a loss of form or fail to adapt properly to senior rugby which shouldn't he a problem for him) there's something seriously wrong with Van Graan. We're absolutely stacked at centre as well, Hawkshaw out and we can still afford not to start a player as good as French.

Overall really happy even if you could see the difference the injuries made.

Don't think we missed Byrne that much if at all. Flannery was solid and Healy was one of the players of the match when he came on. It would still be nice to have Byrne though.

I don't rate Flannery to highly at all, Healy is an excellent kicker and that really helped us but without Byrne there was a noticeable deterioration in our back play. Unfortunate injuries, I think we'd have been contenders to go all the way with our three best players fit, Martin Moloney coming back should help us go deep though.

Don't think we missed Byrne that much if at all. Flannery was solid and Healy was one of the players of the match when he came on. It would still be nice to have Byrne though.
I don't rate Flannery to highly at all, Healy is an excellent kicker and that really helped us but without Byrne there was a noticeable deterioration in our back play. Unfortunate injuries, I think we'd have been contenders to go all the way with our three best players fit, Martin Moloney coming back should help us go deep though.
I was impressed by Flannery at fullback in the Six Nations to be fair, but I thought he struggled a bit yesterday. Healy was solid and assured when he came on and would be my preferred option going forward in the tournament but he was fairly poor against Wales in the Six Nations and we aren't remotely as dangerous going forward with him as we were with Byrne.

Either way we should make the semis from what I've seen and from there who knows. It's pity about the injuries because this is our most talented squad (and we probably won't get another one this good for a while) in years and I think we'd have a real chance of winning with them playing but there's more than enough talent still there to give it a proper go anyway. Need to beat Australia first though.

I was impressed by Flannery at fullback in the Six Nations to be fair, but I thought he struggled a bit yesterday. Healy was solid and assured when he came on and would be my preferred option going forward in the tournament but he was fairly poor against Wales in the Six Nations and we aren't remotely as dangerous going forward with him as we were with Byrne.

Either way we should make the semis from what I've seen and from there who knows. It's pity about the injuries because this is our most talented squad (and we probably won't get another one this good for a while) in years and I think we'd have a real chance of winning with them playing but there's more than enough talent still there to give it a proper go anyway. Need to beat Australia first though.

It might be a bit early to judge these players. Byrne had Hawkshaw (who will be Leinsters long term 12 I reckon) outside him plus the England side the other day were far more aggressive in defence. 42 points scored too so that suggest Flannery was at least solid.

Next year's team will also be strong btw. 5 or 6 of the pack will be back.

It might be a bit early to judge these players. Byrne had Hawkshaw (who will be Leinsters long term 12 I reckon) outside him plus the England side the other day were far more aggressive in defence. 42 points scored too so that suggest Flannery was at least solid.

Next year's team will also be strong btw. 5 or 6 of the pack will be back.
That many? That's great news. I knew there were one or two that were still U19 but that's more than I thought. Those players should be even better next year.

Good opening win for Wales. The performance was a little up and down, but they should get better with more time together. Morgan was a class act from 9, big things expected of him. Cai Evans was mixed. Great kicking, but made some errors throughout. Imo Costellow is a better player, but he may have to bide his time.

Scrum was a slight worry, but they dealt with it ok on the whole. Lineout on the other hand, which is much more important in modern rugby, was close to faultless.

Other players of note were Lake, Reffel and Morgan up front + the two men out wide.

Apparently the Australian 9 is from Louth, be interesting to see how he gets on tomorrow.

Azur Allison is out for one game so guessing Hodnett to 8 and Watters in at flanker.

Latest posts