• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

World Rugby Under 20 Championship 2019

IRELAND UNDER-20 Team & Replacements (v Australia Under-20s, 2019 World Rugby U-20 Championship – Pool B, Club de Rugby Atheneo Immaculada, Santa Fe, Argentina, Saturday, June 8, kick-off 10.30 local time/2.30pm Irish time):

15. Rob Russell (Dublin University/Leinster)
14. Angus Kernohan (Queen's University/Ulster)
13. Liam Turner (Dublin University/Leinster)
12. Stewart Moore (Malone/Ulster)
11. Jonathan Wren (Cork Constitution/Munster)
10. Jake Flannery (Shannon/Munster)
9. Craig Casey (Shannon/Munster)
1. Josh Wycherley (Young Munster/Munster)
2. Dylan Tierney-Martin (Corinthians/Connacht)
3. Thomas Clarkson (Dublin University/Leinster)
4. Charlie Ryan (UCD/Leinster) (capt)
5. Ryan Baird (Dublin University/Leinster)
6. David McCann (Banbridge/Ulster)
7. Ronan Watters (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
8. John Hodnett (UCC/Munster)
Replacements:
16. John McKee (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
17. Michael Milne (UCD/Leinster)
18. Charlie Ward (Clontarf/Leinster)
19. Declan Adamson (Clontarf/Leinster)
20. Niall Murray (Buccaneers/Connacht)
22. Ciaran Booth (Sale Sharks/IQ Rugby)
23. Thomas Ahern (Shannon/Munster)
24. Colm Reilly (Buccaneers/Connacht)
25. Ben Healy (Garryowen/Munster)
26. Cormac Foley (St. Mary's College/Leinster)

Sean French and Hughes ruled out of the rest of the tournament. Disappointing not to see more of French in particular.

Max O'Reilly and Aaron O'Sullivan replace them.
Flannery still at 10 which is the big talking point though I thought he was fine and he has a bit of an X factor that can open up defences.

IRELAND UNDER-20 Team & Replacements (v Australia Under-20s, 2019 World Rugby U-20 Championship – Pool B, Club de Rugby Atheneo Immaculada, Santa Fe, Argentina, Saturday, June 8, kick-off 10.30 local time/2.30pm Irish time):

15. Rob Russell (Dublin University/Leinster)
14. Angus Kernohan (Queen's University/Ulster)
13. Liam Turner (Dublin University/Leinster)
12. Stewart Moore (Malone/Ulster)
11. Jonathan Wren (Cork Constitution/Munster)
10. Jake Flannery (Shannon/Munster)
9. Craig Casey (Shannon/Munster)
1. Josh Wycherley (Young Munster/Munster)
2. Dylan Tierney-Martin (Corinthians/Connacht)
3. Thomas Clarkson (Dublin University/Leinster)
4. Charlie Ryan (UCD/Leinster) (capt)
5. Ryan Baird (Dublin University/Leinster)
6. David McCann (Banbridge/Ulster)
7. Ronan Watters (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
8. John Hodnett (UCC/Munster)

Replacements:
16. John McKee (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
17. Michael Milne (UCD/Leinster)
18. Charlie Ward (Clontarf/Leinster)
19. Declan Adamson (Clontarf/Leinster)
20. Niall Murray (Buccaneers/Connacht)
22. Ciaran Booth (Sale Sharks/IQ Rugby)
23. Thomas Ahern (Shannon/Munster)
24. Colm Reilly (Buccaneers/Connacht)
25. Ben Healy (Garryowen/Munster)
26. Cormac Foley (St. Mary's College/Leinster)

Sean French and Iwan Hughes have been ruled out for the rest of the tournament. Aaron O'Sullivan and Max O'Reilly replace them.

EDIT- seems I was slow off the mark

Last edited:
Surprised Healy didn't get the start, he was really good against England. Would prefer to see Flannery at 15 as well

Great spot from Casey, he's been very good. Not sure he scored though so a bit lucky.

This 20s team has a lot of fight.

One of the reasons I'm happy with Munster's coaching overhaul is I think the new ones will be far better at developing this crop.

Russell has impressed with his positioning, not something 20s players are usually good at.

Edit: probably a bit lucky not to start the second half with 13 but I agree with the decision.

Actually quite impressed with the ref, you're never going to agree with every decision but he's explaining things very well.

Last edited:
^^
I think in any other competition that would almost certainly be yellow.

Ireland going to lose due to discipline. No grounding at all for the Ireland try either, though at this level i don't think they should bother TMO anything other than dangerous play.

^^
I think in any other competition that would almost certainly be yellow.

Ireland going to lose due to discipline. No grounding at all for the Ireland try either, though at this level i don't think they should bother TMO anything other than dangerous play.
Didn't think it was grounded either but if the onfield decision was try then there wasn't really anything to overturn it.

The ref is definitely trying to make up for the red though.

Probably would have been better off going tap and go. Good example of why you should have an 8 on attacking scrums.

Didn't think it was grounded either but if the onfield decision was try then there wasn't really anything to overturn it.

The ref is definitely trying to make up for the red though.
Haha you arent wrong. Penalty for celebrating a turnover? can tell its under 20s eh.

Yeesh, this is turning into a real classic Wallaby performance. Bad kicking? check. Stupid mistakes? check. Missed tackles? 7 in a row.

Hard not to be proud of this performance given that they were 10-0 down against an extra man. Just hope we don't blow it now, I'd be worried about the extra effort catching up with us.

Did all the hard work to get into the lead and then just completely blew it with some terrible defending. Oh well.

Well that turned randomly. Ireland disintegrated in the space of about a minute and never turned it around.

Red card near the start will do it to you.

Still that's the Kiwis and the Irish scalps.

Wales made it hard for ourselves this afternoon. Lineout was really poor, with each throw wasted also giving up considerable yardage to the French immediately thereafter. Evans missed a key penalty touchfinder late in the 1st half too (but our lineout would've probably ballsed it up had it had found touch anyway).

Having said all that France were very good both in attack and defence. Will probably take some beating.

I don't think I've seen an England U20 team as careless and clueless as this current crop.

They really seem to be absolutely oblivious of what is happening right in front of them,

Last edited:

Latest posts