• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

World's best scrum half

I

Incredible Schalk

With Du Preez injured and previously out of form for the Bulls who would you say is currently the worlds best all round scrum half?

edit-can someone turn this into a poll please, completely messed it up.

My poll list was, Fourie Du Preez,Ricky Januarie,Luke Burgess,Jimmy Cowan,Ratuvou,Mike Blair,Mike Philips,Dwayne Peel,Harry Ellis and Eoin Reddan

Well there isn't much competition to du Preez these days. He is the best. Kelleher isn't half bad ;) but can't show his class on the international stage, for the next couple of years atleast. Elissalde is world class and is probably second to du Preez.
In 2005 I can say without a shadow of a doubt that Peel was the best scrum half in the world, but hasn't been the same player since the Lions tour.
Over the next couple of years if they continue to develop Phillips, Burgess and Pienaar will be among the best scrum halves in the world as well.
NB: Januarie played the game of his life on Saturday; he is not in the same category as the above players.

I think the best scrum half this year was Byron Kelleher. He made a wonderful season in Toulouse. He success to impose him and to push JB Ellisalde on Fly Half. And he was the principal actor from the Toulouse victory against Clermont in french Top 14 final. This sort of impact scrum half and ninth forwards is very precious for Toulouse. I am impatient to see him play next season.

Mike Blair, without a shadow of a doubt. Standout in the 6 nations, consistant performance for Edinburgh and his efforts have been rewarded with captaincy of club and country. Even with a fully fit Du Preez, Blair still has to be right up there.

The jury is still out on Mike Phillips I'm afraid. Yes he's big and he likes to throw that brawn around on the field but the guy just has not got the brains go to with it. He is good, but not the best, not by a long shot.

Dwayne Peel was without a doubt the standout scrum-half of 2005. The guy made everyone else look positively ordinary with his eye for a gap, his speed, quick reactions and especially his intelligent rugby. When you compare him to..well..heh how Peter Stringer has been since 2004 then its like trying to compare a 2005 Pagani Zonda with a 1904 Irish Bentley knock off.

Mike Blair, without a shadow of a doubt. Standout in the 6 nations, consistant performance for Edinburgh and his efforts have been rewarded with captaincy of club and country. Even with a fully fit Du Preez, Blair still has to be right up there.
[/b]
:lol2tn: Yeah, and Ali Hogg is the best Blindside in the world.

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
[/b][/quote]

He's a number 8.

You said Peel was "without a shadow of doubt" the best in 2005. So why cant he say the same? his opinion, most of the other guys mentioned dont play off a constantly rearward going scrum. Blair is a good shout as Du Preez was completely out of form if you watched the super 14.

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
[/b][/quote]

He's a number 8.

You said Peel was "without a shadow of doubt" the best in 2005. So why cant he say the same? his opinion, most of the other guys mentioned dont play off a constantly rearward going scrum. Blair is a good shout as Du Preez was completely out of form if you watched the super 14.
[/b][/quote]
He can play either. I'm only winding him up, Blair was probably the best SH in the 6N. I don't know how well he'd do against the very top sides though.

In my opinion Moses Rauluni had an amazing 2007 World Cup and I rate him as one of the best scrum-halves in the world, though I am not sure if he played during the Pacific Nations Cup. There hasn't really been a stand out scrum-half since du Preez, on the international stage, since the World Cup.

On form it's Du Preez followed by Peel.

Currently it's Mike Blair followed by Ellisalde.

On form it's Du Preez followed by Peel.

Currently it's Mike Blair followed by Ellisalde. [/b]

Is this the Ellisalde who has been playing fly-half for his club? :wacko: Somehow he then doesn't come into this talk about the World's best scrum-half. He might have played scrum-half but he is now mainly an out-half since Kelleher joined Toulouse.

<div class='quotemain'> On form it's Du Preez followed by Peel.

Currently it's Mike Blair followed by Ellisalde. [/b]

Is this the Ellisalde who has been playing fly-half for his club? :wacko: Somehow he then doesn't come into this talk about the World's best scrum-half. He might have played scrum-half but he is now mainly an out-half since Kelleher joined Toulouse.
[/b][/quote]
:C I can't think of any stand-out players who can play 9. I suppose my selection of him comes from his heroic display in the T14 Final. When he played 10. >_> So Kelleher then, also because of his T14 Final display. Sublime.

When on form it has to be Fourie Du Preez also Jimmy Cowan can be brilliant if he stops his **** and plays to his potential.

On form there is no doubt its Du Preez

however the best in the world at this point in time has to be probably Blair as mentioned before he had a terrific six nations

Cowan could probably easily be the best in the world right now if he would play up to his potential.. the guys got an absolute laser of a pass but he hasnt lived up to his potential.

On form there is no doubt its Du Preez

however the best in the world at this point in time has to be probably Blair as mentioned before he had a terrific six nations

Cowan could probably easily be the best in the world right now if he would play up to his potential.. the guys got an absolute laser of a pass but he hasnt lived up to his potential. [/b]

It's because he hasn't been given his opportunity.

Du Preez' great.
One of the finest with the ones like Kelleher or Cowan.

But in the 2007 RWC, he was outpassed by Raulini from Fiji !
What a scrumhalf !
Good runner, great passer and vision of the game.

I vote for Rauluni.
But as I'm in France, I can't watch a lot of Guiness Premiership or PNC so I do'nt know if he's still as good as he was this autumn on France but he was cleary better than Du Preez.

Latest posts