• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

World's Strongest Man

Used to love the WSM competitions when they used to have them on TV around Christmas here. The Brit not managing the Atlas Stones whilst some gurt huge Sweedish bloke does them with one hand

As above, spent a lot of time as a kid watching them

Magnus Magnusson was the daddy

Sorry Olyy but Glenn Ross was the daddy :lol:

Well it's down to the last event and the two guys who tied for the ***le last year are currently tied again. It's almost impossible to tie on the stones, so it looks like we'll have a clear cut winner this year.

Mariusz is awesome. Even though I was a drunk, bumbling idiot he still took time to shoot the **** with me in the hotel lobby after the contest.

Mariuszinhotel.jpg

Look out for a young guy in the future; Eddie Hall. Just won Englands strongest man and Uk's strongest man for the second year running. Had to do Worlds Strongest trials one week after winning UK's strongest and so didn't make it. Trains at my gym and is such a vision of strength.

Last edited:
Look out for a young guy in the future; Eddie Hall. Just won Englands strongest man and Uk's strongest man for the second year running. Had to do Worlds Strongest trials one week after winning UK's strongest and so didn't make it. Trains at my gym and is such a vision of strength.

Best of luck to him. I've heard of him, but never seen him compete yet. He's got a lot of competiton if he wants to make it to the big show. Terry, Loz, MacIntosh, Felix, Sadler . . . all very strong Englishmen and the current invitation system usually puts a cap on how many guys from each country get invited. The US was capped at 6 competitors this year. My training partner who has been to WSM every since 2005 didn't get an invite despite still being world class caliber and beating some of the guys who did get invited. It's extremely difficult to make it and the monetary reward is very small.

I'm a huge fan of the World's Strongest Man contest. I will have to say it was better in the 70's and 80's. ESPN, here in the US, used to replay all the oldies with Lou Ferigno (aka The Incredible Hulk). They used to have to squat a platform of cheerleaders. Now that's a competition!

Last edited by a moderator:
Best of luck to him. I've heard of him, but never seen him compete yet. He's got a lot of competiton if he wants to make it to the big show. Terry, Loz, MacIntosh, Felix, Sadler . . . all very strong Englishmen and the current invitation system usually puts a cap on how many guys from each country get invited. The US was capped at 6 competitors this year. My training partner who has been to WSM every since 2005 didn't get an invite despite still being world class caliber and beating some of the guys who did get invited. It's extremely difficult to make it and the monetary reward is very small.

Thats exactly the same story with Big Edd. Beat some of the guys who got invites and is extremely frustrated with the situation from what i've heard. He's just a natural at it. Doesn't train events either just standard, simple exercises with some incredible weight. He'll be a big hit next year and become one of the 'celebs' of Strongman (like Felix, Hollands etc)

I've heard Eddie Hall is the next big thing, won englands and Britains strongestman and at 23 he's only going to get better! He needs his chance to prove himself against the bigger names. He probably be abit off there standard just now. But being exposed to those guys will push him on. Also I hear his brother plays prop for Newcastle Falcons- James Hall.

Put O'brien next to one of these guys and he will be dwarfed :p.

These men are unfathomably large to people who don't see them every day.

For comparison, I am on the far right. I'm 6'1", 105 kg (which is 1" shorter and 3-4 kg lighter than O'Brien). To my right in the white shirt is Phil Pfister (2006 WSM winner) who is 6'6" and about 182kg in that picture. To his right is Brian Shaw who won this years WSM. At the time of that photo, he was 6'8", and about 175-180 kg. This year, he came into the contest at an even 200kg.

Brian comes to train with us a couple times every year and every time I see him I'm flabbergasted at his size. He's so huge that when he walks into a room, the collective gasp of the rest of the people sucks all of the oxygen out of the room. He's so big that he has his own gravitational field which causes small children and animals to orbit him.

Brian and Phil.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts