• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Worst Commentator

Big Ewis

Hall of Fame
Country Flag
France
Club or Nation
Toulon
Who's the single worst commentator for you ? A guy who irritates you as soon as you tune in, almost feel like muting the thing or doing something else, a constant thorn in your spine the whole match and you never forget he's there with his annoying mannerisms and what not.

Single worst for me is the Saffa who sounds like he's got Down Syndrome. Oh got it: 'Hugh Bladen'.
Mentions to Ryle Nugent who's a bit irritating but tolerable, and a little more annoying Miles Harrison who sounds like he's having a perpetual erection and/or on a toilet while commenting with the occasional push mid way through a sentence and louder moments to cover up his farts or wtvr's really going on.

Also, there's a guy commonly heard on Aussie TV who's sideline and interviews players and makes comments every once in a while who's one of these people who sound like they've got something stuck in their throats or are in the process of swallowing a gigantic amount of food all the time. A bit appetite-losing to listen to him.

Last edited:
Stuart Barnes or Jiffy.

what ??...I sort of like that guy. And Jiffy is the Welshman with the tiny voice, right ? I like that guy.

And howwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww is it not Hugh Bladen ???!!!!!!!.....for ANYONE ?!

Olyy, remember that shhitty commentator who was calling some game for Italy in last November's tests, I think the Aussie one, and he called Castro: "Martino Castriani" ??
:lol: :rofl:

Ah jeeze, yeah he was atrocious.

I really like Austin Healy as a commentator - once you get past that most things he says are to wind people up, he's funny and really does know his stuff.

Grant Nisbett will one day learn that there is a world beyond Australasia and it might just finish him off, allowing time for just one final "Gee wizz". It'd be too soon.

Ryle Nugent...bit of a campy voice. The mute button is used and the radio switched on when he comms.

Mark Robson...the thick Norn Iron accent grates me (and I'm from there).

Jonathan Davies...not so much his voice, his constant Welshie bias kills the game. Again, muted.

Favourite by far is John Taylor...."LOMU". Talksport hired him for the Lions coverage but bizarrely gave the commentary gig to that feller who reads the news bulletins. Also like Brian Moore...yes there's a little bias but hes intelligent, informative (but for him I'd have no clue about the intricacies (penalties) in the scrum. Bill McLaren god rest his soul was another giant of the game.

Ryle Nugent...bit of a campy voice. The mute button is used and the radio switched on when he comms.

Jonathan Davies...not so much his voice, his constant Welshie bias kills the game. Again, muted.

thank you.
And yes, about Davies..."Wales with a gloooooooooooooooooooooooooooorious try". Not too stingy on the superlatives..
But I like em, he's fine..

George "it's there" Hamilton is one of the few great Irish commentators.

Far more a football man, rarely did Rugby.

Widening the discussion to pundits, the poor mans Dunphy (George Hook) is one utter berk. "As Shakespeare said...". Poor Brent never gets a word in. And Tom should be back in the farm (like the good Ardboe man he is)

Grant Nisbett will one day learn that there is a world beyond Australasia and it might just finish him off, allowing time for just one final "Gee wizz". It'd be too soon.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@ Ewis. how dare you mock the great Hugh Bladen!!!!! One of my favourites.

Agree with SimonG on John Taylor, I absolutely love Taylor, his commentary during France vs. New Zealand in 1999 is part of the reason the highlights are still outstanding to watch.

I despise Nugent, annoying voice, annoying catch phrases.

Never heard a good commentator cover a Canadian game, Rees was ok in colour commentary but everyone else has ben pretty much worthless. They are the 2nd tier play by play guys or usually soccer guys forced into covering rugby. The colour analysts are usually sub par ex players who constantly give poor analysis.

There's nothing better than Ryle Nugent giving us a great big

"TOMMY BOOOOOOWWWWWEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

This must be posted by me every time Ryle Nugent comes up.

[video=youtube_share;ewkVVctZbgk]http://youtu.be/ewkVVctZbgk[/video]

There's nothing better than Ryle Nugent giving us a great big

"TOMMY BOOOOOOWWWWWEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

This must be posted by me every time Ryle Nugent comes up.

[video=youtube_share;ewkVVctZbgk]http://youtu.be/ewkVVctZbgk[/video]

I love that impression it's so bang on it's almost frightening, like possibly Nugent is actually wearing Macken's face.

Big Ewis.

OH! Wait. I thought you said 'worst COMMENTER!' My bad. ;)

I don't know all their names, but the worst-TYPE of commentator are the ones who don't say much, and when they do they just give the basic play-by-play with little flourish. They're just boring.

As far as BEST commentators, I tend to like the guys from the SH better - they're much more colorful, and love to make little jabs about players' hair, boots, beards, etc. That makes the game entertaining to watch and to listen to. The guys up north tend not to add as much flourish ('cept for the late Bill McLaren and that guy with the funny voice who lots of people don't like...but he's funny as hell...I forget his name, though EDIT: Mark Robson, that's the one I like).

das

Last edited:
@ Ewis. how dare you mock the great Hugh Bladen!!!!! One of my favourites.

you've gotta be kidding me. He seriously needs to go do a full checkup, complete cerebral MRI panel especially. I don't know what he did when he was young, but I'm sure he would regret it if he still had all his braincells.
OR, like I said before. He's addicted to the marijuana joint cigarettes and consumes while on duty.....especially while on duty.

EDIT
Big Ewis.

OH! Wait. I thought you said 'worst COMMENTER!' My bad.
wink.gif

oh but even then, I'm no..."commenter". My posts are art, each and every one of them. I don't as you say...."comment". I lay down poetry. My posts aren't......"comments". They're lyrics.

Last edited:
oh but even then, I'm no..."commenter". My posts are art, each and every one of them. I don't as you say...."comment". I lay down poetry. My posts aren't......"comments". They're lyrics.

You will now forever be known as the Minstrel of Mayhem to me. :)

das

Hugh is a legend, he and Nisbo probably do their commentary from a retirement home though.

Everybody complains about Jiffy, but good god, he is nothing compared to Philip Matthews. Mark Robson is amongst the worst, I usually look for a French feed if I hear him come on during the HEC.

The Aussies on Fox Sports must be up there, but only because they wake me up with every try after I fall asleep following any NZ soup match.

Latest posts