• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Worst idea in a while.

N

Nickdnz

http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/rugby/news/arti...ks-play-nations

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Ex All Blacks could play for other nations
Newstalk ZB - December 1, 2009, 12:50 pm

The outcome of an IRB Council vote in Dublin could see a number of former All Blacks make a return to the international stage.

The IRB will vote tonight on whether to allow players to feature for a second international side after a 12 month stand down. It needs a majority of 75 percent to be passed.

The move would mean New Zealand's Rugby World Cup pool rivals Tonga could be boosted by the likes of Doug Howlett, Sam Tuitupou and Sione Lauaki.

One test All Black Sosene Anesi says he would love to be able to play for Samoa.

"If I get the chance again to go back and play for Samoa now I'll be happy and looking forward to it. My rugby career is not finished yet and hopefully I'll try and give something back to my country."

Anesi is currently in his first few days training with his new Super 14 team, the Waratahs, which he says is going well.[/b]
I presume this goes for other countries as well. So people such as Howlett who has over 50 tests for New Zealand has an option to play for a country which he has spent little of his life in? This is a terrible thing for New Zealand, as any pacific player who isn't chosen for the RWC means they can jump on another international team. Hope it dosn't get passed.

I hope they don't turn our great game into the farce that is international RL.

Stupid idea don't know what they're thinking about. For very few players it could be a good thing but for Rugby as a whole it's doesn't sound convincing.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
"If I get the chance again to go back and play for Samoa now I'll be happy and looking forward to it. My rugby career is not finished yet and hopefully I'll try and give something back to my country."[/b]

If that's how he feels, then he should have chosen to play for Samoa in the first place!

Rediculous idea. Doubt it will be passed.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Dec 1 2009, 11:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
"If I get the chance again to go back and play for Samoa now I'll be happy and looking forward to it. My rugby career is not finished yet and hopefully I'll try and give something back to my country."[/b]

If that's how he feels, then he should have chosen to play for Samoa in the first place!

Rediculous idea. Doubt it will be passed.
[/b][/quote]
Exactly. If you wanted to play for "your country" why play for ours.

I understand some players are unable to play for another country because off they are given one off matches eg Sosene Anesi and Ben Atiga, but they chose to play for New Zealand. And the fact that if they didn't feel like they were New Zealanders, then don't play for the All Blacks.

Yup totally stupid. Plus it's an embarassment for those nations which take on the rejects from another country.
"Not good enough to play for your own country anymore? Lost the fizz, the speed, the 'little something' that your coach used to love about you? Don't worry, now you can play for a team that's not in the top 5 of the world!'

I'm still not in.
I don't want the idea that we can bring in ex-internationals from other countries to be an excuse from us bringing up more homegrown talent.
We don't have enough coming through as it is...this would just be counter productive in my opinion.

These are a few changes that may occur, providing it just goes after citizenship rules.

Regan King - Wales
Doug Howlett - Ireland or Tonga
Ben Atiga - Samoa
Sosene Anesi - Samoa
Jonah Lomu - Tonga (LOL)
Bruce Reihana - England
Aaron Mauger - England
Byron Kelleher - France
Ben Franks - Australia
Jerry Collins - Samoa
Casey Laulala - Samoa
Chris Masoe - France or Samoa
Tana Umaga - France (lol)
Saimone Taumeoepeau - Tonga

With others also possible...that would be so bad. That being said i can't see the idea getting a 75% approval rating.

Paul ***o - Wales
Xavier Rush - Wales
Ben Blair - Wales
Tau Filise - Wales
Ma'ma Molitika
Filo Tiatia - Wales
Jerry Collins - Wales
Marty Hola - Wales
David Lyons - Wales
Regan King - Wales

I can't even be arsed to go on...

I suppose it sucks for those who've only literally played minutes in a test. Kevin Senio, 4mins, Ben Atiga about the same.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (candybum @ Dec 1 2009, 11:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I suppose it sucks for those who've only literally played minutes in a test. Kevin Senio, 4mins, Ben Atiga about the same.[/b]

That shouldn't make a difference. When they chose to represent NZ, they should have done it because it's where they felt was home. 4mins or 44 caps shouldn't make a difference. It's only now that they've been cast aside by the All Blacks because there's better players available do they siddenly feel like they are Samoan etc. Playing for the more successful team isn't how the decision in the first place should be made, if it was then they've gotta live with the consequenses, good or bad.

Great point, Dull.
I certainly won't welcome any ex-internationals from other countries with open arms.
The game just isn't the same as it used to be.

If the iRB wants to turn island nations into a retirement home for All Blacks and Australians, then so be it. Lote Tuqiri was talking about playing for Fiji in RWC 2011. Totally ridiculous.

Once capped at senior level, you play for 1 nation and 1 alone. International rugby is a privelege, not something you can whore yourself to whoever'll have you.

Forgetting the fact players have been doing that for years anyway... *FluteyCattStevensShaw*

Does this mean England could sort out their tighthead problem and conscript Heyman? <_<

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Dec 1 2009, 01:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Forgetting the fact players have been doing that for years anyway... *FluteyCattStevensShaw*

Does this mean England could sort out their tighthead problem and conscript Heyman? <_<[/b]

No, because Flutey, Catt, Stevens and Shaw have all achieved international caps for one team and one team only. Its got nothing to do with your 'you have to play for Northampton and be related to Alfred the Great to qualify for England' theory.

The likes of Shane Howarth who play for 2 international teams - that's utterly ridiculous.

Get that f***ing chip off your shoulder.

Flutey isn't English, nor is Mike Catt or Matthew Stevens. One is a Kiwi and 2 are South African. None have any links back to being English other then living here for a while. Residency is the bullshit reason that this debate has started in the first place and makes a complete mockery of any of national sides.

What next, an international transfer market?

Latest posts