Worst idea in a while.

Discussion in 'International Test Matches' started by Nickdnz, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Nickdnz

Nickdnz Guest

http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/rugby/news/arti...ks-play-nations

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
    I presume this goes for other countries as well. So people such as Howlett who has over 50 tests for New Zealand has an option to play for a country which he has spent little of his life in? This is a terrible thing for New Zealand, as any pacific player who isn't chosen for the RWC means they can jump on another international team. Hope it dosn't get passed.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Yeah, that's a ridiculous decision. It's all about the dollas.

4. QLD

QLD Guest

I hope they don't turn our great game into the farce that is international RL.

5. jawmalawm24

jawmalawm24 Guest

Stupid idea don't know what they're thinking about. For very few players it could be a good thing but for Rugby as a whole it's doesn't sound convincing.

6. candybum

candybum Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Dec 1 2009, 05:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    My thoughts exactly.

7. dullonien

dullonien Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
    If that's how he feels, then he should have chosen to play for Samoa in the first place!

Rediculous idea. Doubt it will be passed.

8. Nickdnz

Nickdnz Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Dec 1 2009, 11:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    If that's how he feels, then he should have chosen to play for Samoa in the first place!

Rediculous idea. Doubt it will be passed.
    [/b][/quote]
    Exactly. If you wanted to play for "your country" why play for ours.

I understand some players are unable to play for another country because off they are given one off matches eg Sosene Anesi and Ben Atiga, but they chose to play for New Zealand. And the fact that if they didn't feel like they were New Zealanders, then don't play for the All Blacks.

9. RC

RC Guest

Yup totally stupid. Plus it's an embarassment for those nations which take on the rejects from another country.
    "Not good enough to play for your own country anymore? Lost the fizz, the speed, the 'little something' that your coach used to love about you? Don't worry, now you can play for a team that's not in the top 5 of the world!'

10. GJ#1

GJ#1 Guest

Could mean Regan King for Wales .... Im all in!

11. RC

RC Guest

I'm still not in.
    I don't want the idea that we can bring in ex-internationals from other countries to be an excuse from us bringing up more homegrown talent.
    We don't have enough coming through as it is...this would just be counter productive in my opinion.

12. Nickdnz

Nickdnz Guest

These are a few changes that may occur, providing it just goes after citizenship rules.

Regan King - Wales
    Doug Howlett - Ireland or Tonga
    Ben Atiga - Samoa
    Sosene Anesi - Samoa
    Jonah Lomu - Tonga (LOL)
    Bruce Reihana - England
    Aaron Mauger - England
    Byron Kelleher - France
    Ben Franks - Australia
    Jerry Collins - Samoa
    Casey Laulala - Samoa
    Chris Masoe - France or Samoa
    Tana Umaga - France (lol)
    Saimone Taumeoepeau - Tonga

With others also possible...that would be so bad. That being said i can't see the idea getting a 75% approval rating.

13. RC

RC Guest

Paul Tito - Wales
    Xavier Rush - Wales
    Ben Blair - Wales
    Tau Filise - Wales
    Ma'ma Molitika
    Filo Tiatia - Wales
    Jerry Collins - Wales
    Marty Hola - Wales
    David Lyons - Wales
    Regan King - Wales

I can't even be arsed to go on...

14. candybum

candybum Guest

I suppose it sucks for those who've only literally played minutes in a test. Kevin Senio, 4mins, Ben Atiga about the same.

15. dullonien

dullonien Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (candybum @ Dec 1 2009, 11:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    That shouldn't make a difference. When they chose to represent NZ, they should have done it because it's where they felt was home. 4mins or 44 caps shouldn't make a difference. It's only now that they've been cast aside by the All Blacks because there's better players available do they siddenly feel like they are Samoan etc. Playing for the more successful team isn't how the decision in the first place should be made, if it was then they've gotta live with the consequenses, good or bad.

16. RC

RC Guest

Great point, Dull.
    I certainly won't welcome any ex-internationals from other countries with open arms.
    The game just isn't the same as it used to be.

17. lynam1104

lynam1104 Guest

this topic is making me **** myslef it's just stupid.

18. gingergenius

gingergenius Guest

If the iRB wants to turn island nations into a retirement home for All Blacks and Australians, then so be it. Lote Tuqiri was talking about playing for Fiji in RWC 2011. Totally ridiculous.

Once capped at senior level, you play for 1 nation and 1 alone. International rugby is a privelege, not something you can whore yourself to whoever'll have you.

19. Bullitt

Bullitt Guest

Forgetting the fact players have been doing that for years anyway... *FluteyCattStevensShaw*

Does this mean England could sort out their tighthead problem and conscript Heyman? <_<

20. gingergenius

gingergenius Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Dec 1 2009, 01:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    No, because Flutey, Catt, Stevens and Shaw have all achieved international caps for one team and one team only. Its got nothing to do with your 'you have to play for Northampton and be related to Alfred the Great to qualify for England' theory.

The likes of Shane Howarth who play for 2 international teams - that's utterly ridiculous.

21. Bullitt

Bullitt Guest

Get that f***ing chip off your shoulder.

Flutey isn't English, nor is Mike Catt or Matthew Stevens. One is a Kiwi and 2 are South African. None have any links back to being English other then living here for a while. Residency is the bullshit reason that this debate has started in the first place and makes a complete mockery of any of national sides.

What next, an international transfer market?

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!