• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Worst Place in the World

The Commonwealth was not around at that time and also you could also argue that it came from the "Mother Country" as the UK was described back then when people in the Dominions were encouraged to take the Kings Shilling and join the armies of the Empire.

Sorry pal, no dice.

Anyway, I would dearly love to continue this conversation but I am going to go into the center of Aberdeen and have a pint and lunch in the best damn bar in the city known as the Prince of Wales! It has the longest bar in Aberdeen meter for meter! :p

Fine, if you want to repeat yourself *shrug*

Those spellings didn't come from the Commonwealth, they came from Europe I'm afraid. And actually if I'm not mistaken, rugby didn't come from Australia.

EDIT: ooooh, I feel so rebellious, using a spelling of a word OTHER than the official party line! How invigorating! :p
[/b]

Be all that as it may, centre or center, what has crept up over the years is the use of 'orientate', instead of
'orient'. Once I orient to the correct orientation, I have oriented properly. I do not 'presentate' a presentation that has to be presented. I present it. Would anyone wish to commentate on this?

I said rugby came from the great COMMONWEALTH!!!
[/b]

Our survey says :

bygraves_duhduhh.jpg

I win :p
[/b]

Yeah and here's your prize....a chisel. Yes with this special tungsten carbide chisel you can dismantle Rugby school brick by brick and take it all the way back to Australia thus giving your original argument a modicum of credence.

*Ooooooooooooooooh*

I never said it came from Australia.

You have simply misinterpreted what i said.
[/b]

You said rugby came from the commonwealth....which simply isn't true.

"The great commonwealth gave you your precious rugby!!!"[/b]

The game's origins and that of footy and cricket are firmly rooted in England. We gave these games to the world...the rest of the world might have taken them to their hearts and helped them grow but it doesn't change it's birthplace.

They are world games now, we mightn't even be very good at them anymore but they came from here. Typical modern cultural imperialism, airbrushing the English out of history.

Its all part of Australia's desperate attempts to try and find an identity, any identity other than that which goes back to it's colonial parent, the UK. Sadly its not really working that well, especially when most of their sports, dialect and traditions can be traced back to at least one of the home nations.

Nations like New Zealand and Canada seem to be much more comfortable with their Dominion-status past and seem far more content with gradually evolving into something where their British & Irish heritage is merged with a modern, multicultural future.

Try Blackpool on a wet, wintry, Saturday afternoon. Litter laying about, dog **** everywhere, shabby and cheap. Costs more to spend a weekend at some Hotel Paradiso style bording house than it does for two weeks in Spain. Ride a vomit filled tram along the sea front to see Chubby Brown at the North Pier - not exactly Shakespeare at Bristol Old Vic.
Why are nearly all the tattooed **** artists that stand about corners holding cans of lager Scottish?
Even the much vaunted fish and chips look as if they've been regurgitated.

Eeh, our Eli - brings back t'old memories, eh?
[/b]

But the rides at Blackpool Pleasure Beach are class and Blackpool has quality nightlife as long as you don't get beat up.

I'm not trying to argue here, my ignorance simply is getting the better of me, but if we as Britain compete in - for example - the commonwealth games altheletics doesn't that make us a commonwealth country?
Help me out here, i mean if britain is not a commonwealth country then surely it has no right to compette in these games.

I'm not trying to argue here, my ignorance simply is getting the better of me, but if we as Britain compete in - for example - the commonwealth games altheletics doesn't that make us a commonwealth country?
Help me out here, i mean if britain is not a commonwealth country then surely it has no right to compette in these games.
[/b]

The home nations compete seperately at the Commonwealth Games.

Jeez guys you don't have to be so harsh.

Originally when i said rugby came to the commonwealth i was referring to either england or wales, because i wasn't 100% whether it was from england or wales. I was pretty sure it was England, but i was just trying to play it safe by saying the Commonwealth...I was under the impression that England was in the Commonwealth so yeah...i had to make a generalisation by saying the Commonwealth.

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

The home nations compete seperately at the Commonwealth Games.
[/b][/quote]

Ok, same question again, as above, but change "Britain" to "home nations".
I was just curious...

Originally when i said rugby came to the commonwealth i was referring to either england or wales, because i wasn't 100% whether it was from england or wales. I was pretty sure it was England, but i was just trying to play it safe by saying the Commonwealth...I was under the impression that England was in the Commonwealth so yeah...i had to make a generalisation by saying the Commonwealth.
[/b]

That's wrong though.

The Commonwealth includes a lot of countries, all except one of which rugby didn't originate in, and didn't exist when rugby was invented. It came from England. End of.

correct me if i am wrong - ur get religion rugby on a technicality

It was the Empire before the Commonwealth

So if Rugby was invented by the Empire - it would be deemed the commonwealth on todays conversation

Was Australia conquered by the British............or was it New Holland

I have never been to New Holland.........and Rugby never came from the Commonwealth :p

We all know at the end of the day - if the Aussie and NZ teamed up with an ANZAC team in any sports - THAT UNION JACK that groups you all as one - WOULD NEVER WIN

We dont care anyways - we never know when you separate yourselfs as individual Wales, Scotland and England

In Soccer you do
In Olympics you dont
In Tennis - you kinda do - poms will claim Murray the Scot
In Rugby - you do but every 4 years you dont

I mean **** - we cant keep up

Latest posts