• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Worst three players to lose from your Squad for the RWC.

Scotty

First XV
TRF Legend
Club or Nation
Exeter
Who in your opinion are the worst three players to lose from your squad? And why? Taking into account cover for the player and any other relevant factors.

England.

Manu - for me he adds so much and fits perfectly into our attacking structure, take him out and noy only do we not have like for like cover but we also only really have faz or francais as options there.

Billy - while Wilson is adequate cover he is not the same and would be a big step down.

Faz - not only a leader in the team and a great player but also 12 cover which allows us to play different style rugby. Ford is a good replacement but not enough to cushion the loss.

Thats my 3 for England.

Dan Leavy...
Combined with SOB's decline (and injuries as well as the other thing that make him unselectable) definitely.

From our actual squad though, I'd say Josh Van Der Flier, Tadhg Furlong and Johnny Sexton. Josh cause he's our only 7 left, Furlong both because he's the best prop in the world and also because Ryan and Porter are decent but a massive step down, and then Johnny both because if Joey already has his own injury problems and, after all, he is world player of the year despite his mixed form.

Combined with SOB's decline (and injuries as well as the other thing that make him unselectable) definitely.

From our actual squad though, I'd say Josh Van Der Flier, Tadhg Furlong and Johnny Sexton. Josh cause he's our only 7 left, Furlong both because he's the best prop in the world and also because Ryan and Porter are decent but a massive step down, and then Johnny both because if Joey already has his own injury problems and, after all, he is world player of the year despite his mixed form.
Agree with that, there's a few not far behind - Ryan and the starting midfield.

I reckon Josh is going to surprise a lot of folk this tournament, people have forgotten how good he is. Surround him with the right people and he can be just as effective as either of the English boys, although different stylistically.

Pollard - He is a mile ahead in terms of being our best flyhalf
PSDT - We have quite a lot of depth in the locks and loose forwards, but I feel like his loss would have the biggest impact due to his all-round coverage

The third is tough because most of the positions I feel like we are pretty well covered in terms of depth, but if I had to choose anyone, it would be Kolbe. Our best wing by quite a distance and provides emergency injury cover for our fullback and, in extreme circumstances, our scrumhalf.

Im not a regular warcher of the pro 14 so i dont see furlong playing on a weekly basis. He is always good for Ireland but i dont remember seeing alot that makes him the best prop in the world? Not saying he isnt but just what makes him ahead of all the other contenders?

I reckon Josh is going to surprise a lot of folk this tournament, people have forgotten how good he is. Surround him with the right people and he can be just as effective as either of the English boys, although different stylistically.
I think Ringrose. Henshaw I think over the past 12 months is not flying it and his loss would be ok to deal with. Ringrose definitely though.

Pollard - Obvious one, Jantjies is a big drop, and he's central to our game plan.
Willie le Roux - Very bust or break but at times it seems our ability to score tries rests on how well he plays.
Vermulen - We have plenty of good forwards but they all have cover, Duane offers so much in terms of his work under the high ball/fetching ability and ball carrying that no one player can replace him.

AJ
***i
David ainu'u

If we lose any of them are chances of beating England, France, or Argentina drop to zero and if we lose AJ Tonga could be a challenge.

I'm real excited by ***i and David playing together cause they have no reason to believe the guy lining up against them is better than them. Most the guys on the USA squad know their place in the rugby hierarchy and might think they don't belong on the same field as England. ***i and David know they belong and probably think they are better than their opponent.

Pollard - Obvious one, Jantjies is a big drop, and he's central to our game plan.
Willie le Roux - Very bust or break but at times it seems our ability to score tries rests on how well he plays.
Vermulen - We have plenty of good forwards but they all have cover, Duane offers so much in terms of his work under the high ball/fetching ability and ball carrying that no one player can replace him.

I think you guys would be better off if le roux couldn't play.

I must admit i was surprised to see le Roux too.

Anyhow

de la Fuente
Orlando
Matera

I must admit i was surprised to see le Roux too.

Anyhow

de la Fuente
Orlando
Matera

Matera is Clear #1 for Pumas then Boffelli #2 then Cubelli #3 with Chip Figallo & Guido Petti not far behind

Matera + Boffelli are two the Pumas two world class players & would start for any other team in World Rugby

Orlando has had a great season for Jaguares but Tuto Moroni is a good replacement as is JC Mallia & Lucas Mensa

Jero DLF is a tricky one Experienced player but is more defensively sound than anything else

Struggles to links #10 with Outside backs

Not fast Not Strong Not explosive compared to other International #12's

Mensa is one to watch out for I hope.....

Who in your opinion are the worst three players to lose from your squad? And why? Taking into account cover for the player and any other relevant factors.

England.

Manu - for me he adds so much and fits perfectly into our attacking structure, take him out and noy only do we not have like for like cover but we also only really have faz or francais as options there.

Billy - while Wilson is adequate cover he is not the same and would be a big step down.

Faz - not only a leader in the team and a great player but also 12 cover which allows us to play different style rugby. Ford is a good replacement but not enough to cushion the loss.

Thats my 3 for England.

Billy V & Farrell for sure

But I would have Jamie George as my 3rd key player for England

Singleton is there on a nice holiday He's not sniffing the Matchday squad

Lewis Cowan Dickie throwing is a major liability

Guy doesn't always start for Exeter mainly for that reason

So for him to start for England would be a major concern with his darts.....

I just don't think our ability to score tries through backline moves is that great, Willie may make mistakes but he's one of the few people in our backline with the vision to create tries, if you add that his replacement (Willemse was earmarked but had a poor season and I think is recovering from injury) in Warrick Gelant isn't in the best form and has had very little time in the 15 jersey I think he's deceptively important to us.

People like Eben Etzebeth and Pieter-Steph are great players but fairly well covered, we have a few good wing options and I don't think we'll be easily hurt there. 12 and 13 are either not important enough or not good enough to make a difference if they get injured.

I suppose I could make an argument for Faf or Marx but their replacements are in some serious form.

Last edited:
Boks have NO players IMO who are irreplaceable

PSDT can be replaced with Mostert No problem there

You also have Kwagga Smith as a roving flanker or have Louw in the tight jackelling

Even Pollard can be replaced adequately

Jantjes does things Pollard can only dream of & is coached by serious guys in Erasmus & Niemaber

Hard to have faith in likes of Coetzee who was badly out of his depth

Even Heynecke Meyer was never goign to help Elton with his Stampkaar Rugby philosophy

Add the likes of Bosch & Willemse and South Africa has a bright future wit all the excellent talent coming through
combined with elite coaching & pathways in place now

Billy V & Farrell for sure

But I would have Jamie George as my 3rd key player for England

Singleton is there on a nice holiday He's not sniffing the Matchday squad

Lewis Cowan Dickie throwing is a major liability

Guy doesn't always start for Exeter mainly for that reason

So for him to start for England would be a major concern with his darts.....
I had the same thought but i wouldnt swap manu. He adds too much to our attack and is our primary 12/13 if with FordFaz. Francais he has played quite well but wouldnt trust him in the play offs.

Im not a regular warcher of the pro 14 so i dont see furlong playing on a weekly basis. He is always good for Ireland but i dont remember seeing alot that makes him the best prop in the world? Not saying he isnt but just what makes him ahead of all the other contenders?

To be fair to him, off the back of 2018 he was pretty much my World Player of the year let alone prop... he is the complete player, fantastic in the set piece, fantastic in the loose, great work rate in defence and around the breakdown and surprisingly creative. Now his form has dipped a little in 2019 but that could be more to do with Ireland's dip as a whole than simply his own... but if he gets back to last years form, which I'm sure he will, him or Brodie are the first names on a world XV team sheet.

Even Pollard can be replaced adequately

Jantjes does things Pollard can only dream of & is coached by serious guys in Erasmus & Niemaber

Hard to have faith in likes of Coetzee who was badly out of his depth
Completely agree with the bolded sentence 100% Elton is our most creative 10 and our best distributor. The problem is that he is not a like-for-like replacement for our game plan, meaning if we take Pollard out we need to completely revamp how we play the game.
It's equivalent to if Farrel was England's first choice 10, and their only backup was Danny Cipriani, the whole dynamic changes.

That's without going into the fact that Jantjies has a notoriously bad record in "big" games specifically during the SR finals and internationals.
Although I am willing to forget that and assume going forward that he has gotten over his issues.

To be fair to him, off the back of 2018 he was pretty much my World Player of the year let alone prop... he is the complete player, fantastic in the set piece, fantastic in the loose, great work rate in defence and around the breakdown and surprisingly creative. Now his form has dipped a little in 2019 but that could be more to do with Ireland's dip as a whole than simply his own... but if he gets back to last years form, which I'm sure he will, him or Brodie are the first names on a world XV team sheet.
Fair enough, ive just never really noticed to a level that your saying for ireland. loving the England Wales bonding in you pic its so nice to see:D. Not the usual AWJ poking the bear because he knows he will get under their skin lol non better at it :).

Fair enough, ive just never really noticed to a level that your saying for ireland. loving the England Wales bonding in you pic its so nice to see:D. Not the usual AWJ poking the bear because he knows he will get under their skin lol non better at it :).

Just trying to show a bit of a narrative as I had the pair of them aggressively gripping each other for the two warm ups at Twix and at the Principality... now they are out of the way I thought I'd go all 'post-match'.

Will change again when the Bill kicks off.

Last edited:

Ryan is our best player but we have other very good options
I'd say he's been consistently excellent for a few years now and I can't think of anyone else who'd be the same. Always seems to be one of the first names on the team sheet for most people when the world XV discussion roles around as well.

Latest posts