• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Would English rugby be better served by a proper cup competition?

Feicarsinn

Super Αdmin
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
I'm just about to watch a bit of challenge cup this afternoon and it occurs to me, would it be better for the English union club game to scrap the LV cup and get a proper knock out competition with the Championship sides and lower involved? Let's face it, the LV is a bit of a joke and I have no doubt that the likes of Bristol, Bedford, London Welsh, London Scottish & Cornish Pirates would bring as much to the table as some of the Welsh regions' 'A' teams. It'd also be great for those clubs to get some big games against the Premiership teams too.

Thoughts?

I was thinking that exact same thing the other week!
Sort of like the British & Irish Cup, but with top level clubs in/without the Irish sides.

Would be good, imo, and could get more people interested in watching Championship sides as well.

That would kinda be like the rugby equivalent of the FA cup in football.. i like the idea

plenty of problems with doing this though, I think there would be a lot of red tape as to getting rid of the Welsh teams, and getting rid of their say of how the competition goes

although I would be interested to see how the Championship sides would go against the Premiership teams

a decade ago, the Championship teams after the top two were a mile of the Premiership

Rotherham used to get 60+ point wins at the beginning of the last decade

however it has improved some what now, and the Premiership team that has gone down doesn't get such an easy ride of promotion

It's better to think of the Heineken cup and ECC as union's equivalent to the challenge cup. There's enough fixtures for the top players to get through to begin with, so keep the LV for development and teams which have taken an early exit from Europe.

It's better to think of the Heineken cup and ECC as union's equivalent to the challenge cup. There's enough fixtures for the top players to get through to begin with, so keep the LV for development and teams which have taken an early exit from Europe.

Well the Premiership teams only really put their 'A' teams out in the LV in any case. If the competition were a straight knock out most teams would probably play fewer games.

Any domestic cup whether its with the welsh sides or not would be a side show behind both european cups and the league. The challange cup is the only cup up for grab in league as there is no european cup to play for.

The LV does still offer a route into Europe.

Personally, I think a cup competition that brings great exposure to Championship clubs is a good thing. I like the British & Irish Cup, but I can't say its doing the Championship many favours.

It'd be nice if the Irish provinces allowed the clubs to compete in the B&I cup instead. As is it's likely that one of the 'A' teams will always win, which is entirely unfair on the British sides.

It'd be nice if the Irish provinces allowed the clubs to compete in the B&I cup instead. As is it's likely that one of the 'A' teams will always win, which is entirely unfair on the British sides.

Hasn't always though. Besides, what's better from the Irish perspective in terms of development?

A cup competition to develop grass roots interest in it, perhaps?

I really like the idea. I think it may also offer those clubs whom get relegated, a slim chance at keeping a few more of their decent players because of the exposure through your cup idea. Right now it's a case of getting relegated from the Aviva Premiership is a bit of a death sentence for clubs, as they lose so much of their top flight players, but if they are getting more chances at playing top sides still, player may be able to be convinced to stick around a bit longer.

Latest posts