• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

would like some advice

THE_DINGMEISTER

Academy Player
Country Flag
Hong Kong
I study at boarding school in edinburgh and play lock for my school's 2nd XV. I am currently 16 years old, about 6 feet 2 and weigh about 80kg.

I would like to break into the 1st XV for next year and would like some advice on safe workouts that would help me improve strength, speed and power.

Despite being positionally a lock I have very little experience of jumping in the lineout;)
I pack down behind the tighthead and despite our front row weighing nearly 300 kg I am sometimes under a lot of pressure. My second row partner is bigger and heavier than me so perhaps should he be locking down that side?

Due to some idolising of Richie (Mccaw)^_^, I try to play like an openside, attempting to win quick turnovers if possible or alert the defense to overlaps.

However, there is a lot of competition for a place in the backrow and because of my lack of height and my school's lack of front row I am considering a conversion to the front row. I have covered as loosehead for half a season two years ago and felt that I did not fare too badly, however there is a massive change in quality between these age groups.

Could I get advice on how to attain a healthy shape :p (oxymoron.. I know) for a front rower and advice on whether I should make this move as well as further information which would be helpful either for front row, second row or back row?

Furthermore I suffer from a clinical lack of fitness at the start of seasons and I would like to get some further advice on effective fitness techniques.

Thank you.

I study at boarding school in edinburgh and play lock for my school's 2nd XV. I am currently 16 years old, about 6 feet 2 and weigh about 80kg.

I would like to break into the 1st XV for next year and would like some advice on safe workouts that would help me improve strength, speed and power.

Despite being positionally a lock I have very little experience of jumping in the lineout;)
I pack down behind the tighthead and despite our front row weighing nearly 300 kg I am sometimes under a lot of pressure. My second row partner is bigger and heavier than me so perhaps should he be locking down that side?

Due to some idolising of Richie (Mccaw)^_^, I try to play like an openside, attempting to win quick turnovers if possible or alert the defense to overlaps.

However, there is a lot of competition for a place in the backrow and because of my lack of height and my school's lack of front row I am considering a conversion to the front row. I have covered as loosehead for half a season two years ago and felt that I did not fare too badly, however there is a massive change in quality between these age groups.

Could I get advice on how to attain a healthy shape :p (oxymoron.. I know) for a front rower and advice on whether I should make this move as well as further information which would be helpful either for front row, second row or back row?

Furthermore I suffer from a clinical lack of fitness at the start of seasons and I would like to get some further advice on effective fitness techniques.

Thank you.

In addition to technical scrummaging stuff that your coaches will show you, you'll also need to focus on strenthening your neck, shoulders, back, legs and...I mean really blast them! Strength is a priority for props as it is a specialty position. You're primary responsibility is scrummaging so, logically, you'll need to develop the muscles required to scrummage more effectively.
I'm sure you already know that you'll also have to gain at least 1 stone to compete effectively on the front row for your age group.

Who told you 6 foot 2 is too small for backrow? seriously?? haha
I only have experience in the back row and centres so i can't help you with prop related stuff, but any back row questions then im all ears. In terms of your training (fitness/strength/size) , i need to ask you some questions. How commited would you be? and how often could and would you train?

Happy to Help

No soft centres, I was referring to my lack of height for the second row. Reasonably commited... I understand that's quite vague. I would be able to train about an hour everyday. Could you just help me with some exercises as I am sure this would be beneficial whatever position I tried to play.

Barbarian Horde, could you please give me some advice on specific exercises for this or how to gain weight effectively?... If that's the right words

No soft centres, I was referring to my lack of height for the second row. Reasonably commited... I understand that's quite vague. I would be able to train about an hour everyday. Could you just help me with some exercises as I am sure this would be beneficial whatever position I tried to play.

Barbarian Horde, could you please give me some advice on specific exercises for this or how to gain weight effectively?... If that's the right words

I do body weight exercises exclusively...

1) Neck:

Bridging(This exercise does wonders)

2) Shoulders/Back/Core:

Hindu Push-Ups
Dips
Pull-Ups

3) Legs:

Hindu Squats
Pistols

4) Back:

Back Extensions

Bodyweight exercises can obviously be done everyday but I've found that I get the best results when I do a comprehensive workout with the exercises listed above every other day. If you do some version of the above workout 3-4 times a week, eat right(no junk food, no carbonation, no alcohol, no smoking, no partying) and get plenty of rest...you'll see the results in 1 month. Establish a routine, make it a lifestyle and STICK WITH IT! DON'T MISS WORKOUTS OR YOU'RE JUST WASTING YOUR TIME. Go get em champ.

Barbarian Horde,
reps? possible links providing further information.
Thank you for responding to my post

It's very important to start slowly but to progress(increase reps) weekly. Depending on your fitness, you'll probably want to start out by doing 10 reps of whichever exercises you choose as most of them are very awkward(especially the hindu pushups, hindu squats, pistols and bridges). Here's one example of a workout in the very beginning...

Hindu Push-Up...10-15 reps(steady, smooth, not jerky)
Hindu Squat or Pistol(or both if you're adventurous)...15-30 reps(same as above)
Bridge...5 reps(form is extremely important)

Form is very important for these exercises as injury will follow if done incorrectly! If done correctly however, you'll be a man amongst boys in no time. You should be able to look them up on youtube for info.

After 1 week(or 3-4 workouts), increase reps by 5...after two weeks add an exercise(dips, pistols, pull down, back extension)...rinse and repeat. Even if you don't add any exercises, make sure to progress weekly with the core exercises you choose. Before long you'll be cranking 'em out like it's nothing. Remember, this is a VERY intense workout once you get going with it so please use your rest days, establish a sleep schedule and don't miss workouts... even when your body feels like jelly. Good luck!

Your actually a good size for the backrow 6'2 is pretty tall to be fair. although with your height I would advise trying to put on a few kilos even for 6,7,8 as getting a good Height weight ratio to lower your COG will help no end in Fetching and whatnot.

Cheers barbarian Horde, how many sets approximately should I be doing?
You probably want to start out with 1 set of each exercise until your able to do 30 reps as you'll need to focus on form in the beginning to avoid injury and get maximum results. With that said, you probably want to cap the number of reps per set at 30-50. That should give you an idea as to how you should break up your work-out. Cheers.

Latest posts