• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Would SA leaving SR really bankrupt NZ rugby

People are hating on Super rugby this year more than ever.
I think it has been great this year with the games being very unpredictable. Anyone who claims to the contrary should publicly reveal their picks on this forum every week and we will see how well that goes.
So partly as a result of its unpredictability and partly because of tight conferences i think there's nothing wrong with Super Rugby and no reason to not continue with it.

People are hating on Super rugby this year more than ever.
I think it has been great this year with the games being very unpredictable. Anyone who claims to the contrary should publicly reveal their picks on this forum every week and we will see how well that goes.
So partly as a result of its unpredictability and partly because of tight conferences i think there's nothing wrong with Super Rugby and no reason to not continue with it.

NZ teams have beaten Aus teams nearly 40 times in a row.

Thats all on the Aussies, and in reality the NZ vs Aussie Matches are only a minority of weekly matches.

Go on to the Super Rugby match thread for this week and make your predictions. If you can at least correctly predict 6/7 then i would entertain the idea that Super rugby is predictable.
if you get 5 /7 correct then id say you have a point there! the reality is that every week there have been upsets all over the place. 4/7 Is pushing it as remember the issue we are dealing with is unpredictability.
This week is especially a week where "Top" teams come up against "bottom" teams.

I love Super Rugby. I don't want SA to leave. If it was up to me the other 2 SA franchises would still be there. It's just that if these reports are true SA have by far the strongest bargaining position.

Super Rugby clearly has improved this year. Yes, it's not what it used to be, but clearly better than last year. European rugby has more money, but the level of play certainly isn't better.

Super Rugby clearly has improved this year. Yes, it's not what it used to be, but clearly better than last year. European rugby has more money, but the level of play certainly isn't better.

I agree I watch Super Rugby, Pro 14, Top 14 and Aviva Premiership. I believe that Super Rugby is the best by some distance.

I don't get why NZ rugby is bankrupt, they have a passionate fan base, and there stadiums are some of the most full. What's the issue?

NLNLESi.jpg

You only have to look at the match fees being demanded by AB to see that the NZRU is struggling to keep up with major NH nations income. SA moving north would just add to that issue as there would be even more money for the Euro Nations, not from SA money, but from the extended TV money from European Companies excited at seeing SA teams in their comps. This would put NZ out on a limb with the Aussies. They need to encourage the PI to get into SR based in Hawaii, to try to capture some of the US money, otherwise they are going to have a long drawn out death of the talent. These players will continue to develop as juniors in NZ then move to rich nations and qualify through residency, and when that happens watch the NZRU try to change the rules again to stop that. Only when it hurts them, not when it benefits them!!!

I don't get why NZ rugby is bankrupt, they have a passionate fan base, and there stadiums are some of the most full. What's the issue?

Smaller population and the big money in sports nowadays coming from tv licenses and big sponsors wanting to get global exposure. The concern would be that the tv rights dropping in value if they lose the SA/Europe time zone and viewers, and with lower exposure companies would not be willing to pay as much.

Smaller population and the big money in sports nowadays coming from tv licenses and big sponsors wanting to get global exposure. The concern would be that the tv rights dropping in value if they lose the SA/Europe time zone and viewers, and with lower exposure companies would not be willing to pay as much.

I live in the UK. I mainly watch the South African matches in Super Rugby for this reason. Although some Australian/NZ matches are on as late as 10.30am they normally start at 6am or 8am UK time (childrens TV time!!)

I live in the UK. I mainly watch the South African matches in Super Rugby for this reason. Although some Australian/NZ matches are on as late as 10.30am they normally start at 6am or 8am UK time (childrens TV time!!)
Aha! So kids TV scheduling would bankrupt NZ Rugby! Super Rugby could never compete with Bananas in Pyjamas

Aha! So kids TV scheduling would bankrupt NZ Rugby! Super Rugby could never compete with Bananas in Pyjamas

Dude, my twins of 11 months are preventing me from so much sport and series to watch. I know every F****** Lollos song. Worst part of it all is I catch myself singing those songs while at work.

I'm glad it's an hour later here, although I never manage to watch any NZ matches before we switch to DST. 7.30am just is too early for my liking.

You have made a fundamental error in your reading of this article. As soon as you saw the words "Mark Reason" at the top of the page, you need not have bothered reading any further. What Mark Reason knows about rugby union in New Zealand could be carved in inch-high letters on an aspirin using a prybar.

Reason is a total w@nker (I think you would call him a "right tosser" in your part of the world). He is a refugee from the British Press press; one who has unfortunately chosen to flee to this country because he was sick of forever living in the shadow of his late father John Reason, also a sports (so-called) "journalist" and who was an even bigger w@nker than his son.

Frankly, I would like to see him just frack off back to blighty where he belongs.

I agree I watch Super Rugby, Pro 14, Top 14 and Aviva Premiership. I believe that Super Rugby is the best by some distance.
Have enjoyed SR so far. Saying that the best in both CCup and Challenge this season easily match the best of SR. The kiwis handling skills are a notch above the rest but rugby isn't basket ball. Set pieces are better in Europe IMO so it evens out.

Would love a competittion that pitches the top European teams vs the best in SR.

Last edited:
I think SH rugby probably needs an overhaul but I'm not convinced SA going to the North is it's best option.

Somehow rugby needs to compete with huge entertainment saturation, particularly for the younger generation. Good entertainment, whether it be youtube, streaming, TV, movies etc has never been so abundant and unfortunately all of those things are competition for something like Super Rugby. I don't really know what needs to be done, but my gut says it has very little to do with rugby moving to the NH or getting rid of the conference system or anything superficial like that.

I have a feeling the answer might be more in making personalities out of players and re branding rugby from the noble sport for humble farm boys, and more fiery and entertaining with big personalities. That and utilizing things like fantasy rugby more to make it more of a full time hobby integrated into your mobile phone. rather than something you just do on the weekend if you have time.

Some might not like that direction for rugby but I think something needs to be done in order to ensure it's survival. I might be on the completely wrong track but but the appetite for rugby does seem to be declining and I don't think we can lay the blame on format alone.

Latest posts