• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Would Shaun Johnson ever come to union

TElaser123

Academy Player
Do you think shaun johnson would ever come to union seeing as last november he said he would like to be an all black one day. He also played union in college. However would he be good or not would he be like jason robinson or struggle to find his feet and be like sam burgess what do you think?

Why would anyone want him? He's obviously a soft cock. Honestly this guy makes Benji Marshall look like Jerry Collins.

It's his playing position that is probably the biggest doubt - has any half back ever transitioned successfully into union from league at a professional level?

Harris did OK (and was underrated as union imho, despite lacking a yard of pace) but I can't think of anyone else - maybe that's just because I lack knowledge of the SH game.

Johnson has plenty of pace and judges the open space superbly with ball in hand but if I were him, even if I wanted to play in the three-quarters for the ABs, I wouldn't fancy my changes of getting a game.

Yep, Roger has far more Union relevant skills.

A lot of the most evasive RL players play very laterally, which doesn't work as well in Union, IMO.

It's his playing position that is probably the biggest doubt - has any half back ever transitioned successfully into union from league at a professional level?

Harris did OK (and was underrated as union imho, despite lacking a yard of pace) but I can't think of anyone else - maybe that's just because I lack knowledge of the SH game.

Johnson has plenty of pace and judges the open space superbly with ball in hand but if I were him, even if I wanted to play in the three-quarters for the ABs, I wouldn't fancy my changes of getting a game.

He could go fly half but both I think are pretty different in each game but then again he's played union before so it's just where did he play before

Shaun Johnson is a very good rugby player with excellent running and evasion skills... in RL, but I doubt those skills could be easily or quickly adapted to RU with the more cluttered defensive lines and the different attacking lines. Also, with the ruck offside lines much shallower (about 1-2m instead of the 10m at the PtB he would be used to), he would not have the room he needs to work his magic.

Finally, Johnson would have to contend with something that he does not have to worry about in RL... its called an "Openside Flanker"

Also, with the ruck offside lines much shallower (about 1-2m instead of the 10m at the PtB he would be used to), he would not have the room he needs to work his magic.
[/I]

This. Johnson needs space and time on tap. League rules give him that, in union he has to make his own or get his team-mates to do it for him.

Also, as has been mentioned, he is very soft. I don't think any NZ SR teams would be interested in picking him up.

Has anyone accusing Shaun Johnson of being soft actually ever played the game?...I think not....League is a much harder game than rugby...and NZ didn't get to #1 in World rankings by Johnson being soft...

Has anyone accusing Shaun Johnson of being soft actually ever played the game?...I think not....League is a much harder game than rugby...and NZ didn't get to #1 in World rankings by Johnson being soft...

Yeh becuase that is how Rugby works.

league may be more violent than union but not if your a halfback... i liken them to nfl quarterbacks where they are given time and space to get rid of the ball before they are hit

...what that NZ dominates rugby and league?..it's only in recent times that NZ has overtaken Australia in the world rankings...since Johnson has been the playmaker..

- - - Updated - - -

...why do quarterbacks wear helmets and pads then?

...what that NZ dominates rugby and league?..it's only in recent times that NZ has overtaken Australia in the world rankings...since Johnson has been the playmaker..

- - - Updated - - -

...why do quarterbacks wear helmets and pads then?

the same reason kickers and punters do

Shaun Johnson is a very good rugby player with excellent running and evasion skills... in RL, but I doubt those skills could be easily or quickly adapted to RU with the more cluttered defensive lines and the different attacking lines. Also, with the ruck offside lines much shallower (about 1-2m instead of the 10m at the PtB he would be used to), he would not have the room he needs to work his magic.

Finally, Johnson would have to contend with something that he does not have to worry about in RL... its called an "Openside Flanker"

Yeah but then you see good running fly halfs like barrett being able to operate I feel it will just take time to adapt

Where did Shaun being soft come from? Is this the same as injury prone or is everyone calling him a wuss?

If it's the former then fair enough.

Not from being injury prone in my book. More his come back from injury. He lacked serious form for a fair few weeks there after he broke his ankle or whatever he did. Looked too scared to take the ball to the line. Then he said something about it being hard to regain confidence after getting injured in contact. If a professional contact sport player isn't brave enough to take the ball into contact he should find another job.

And yes, I've been injured in contact before. Have also played league.

^ well let the haters hate...tall poppy syndrome is alive and well in NZ unfortunately.... you'll find the same fickle *****es dining out on NZ's achievements later in the season after we kick the Aussies butt...

Would rather have Tuivasa-Sheck

He's already stated that he'd like to be an All Black... And I've just got that excited feeling that he's coming after his Warriors contract. Hell yeah. Dude will be a freak at fullback.

As for Johnson, I'd rather he achieved some form of consistency before he ever gave rugby a thought. He's extremely hot and cold for the Warriors. Johnson is at his absolute best when he touches the ball at least 3 times a set, he doesn't have to run it or make something every time, does Thurston? No. But at least he still has the option to, and this is why people talk about Johnson being soft, and sometimes not engaged in the game that is being played right infront of him.

As for his position if he ever dabbled in rugby? 10, 12, or 15. Can't waste that vision/speed/ability anywhere else.

Latest posts