• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Would shortening the length of field of play significantly change games?

sigesige00

Bench Player
According to the RU laws, the length of field of play is 100m, and minimum for official competitions is 94m.
Since there are many stadiums (Athletic and Soccer stadiums) in which ingoal length is very short, I think that shortening the length of field of play from 100m to 94m could be a better choice.
Would 94m field of play significantly affect the content of games?:huh:

Tigers pitch was 91m long.

And it did seem to have a affect on the style of play

Genuinely? When did they change back?

Guess it would change the way you attack though, as a 40m break for example is gonna be that bit more effective on a 91m pitch than on a 100m pitch.

I don't think it would make much difference. If anything it could make the field more bunched. With a longer pitch players will have more area to defend against (from kicks) so there would be space in behind them. The shorter the pitch the less of that space. Width is far more important that pitch length.

Given how much fitter today's players are, there is a strong argument for the playing area to be increased. Especially widened - I think Profitius is right when he says that width is much more important.

I don't think it would make much difference. If anything it could make the field more bunched. With a longer pitch players will have more area to defend against (from kicks) so there would be space in behind them. The shorter the pitch the less of that space. Width is far more important that pitch length.

In RU, pitch width is 70m (68m minimum). In RL, it's 68m.

The width for each player:

70m/15=4.67m
68m/13=5.23m

So reducing the number of on-pitch players from 15 to 13 would make games more attacking, try-oriented and spectacular?

>With a longer pitch players will have more area to defend against (from kicks)

Does that mean ingoal length? In the Rugby pitches whose ingoal length is 22m, there are a lot of grubber kick or kick-pass try attempts.

- - - Updated - - -

Given how much fitter today's players are, there is a strong argument for the playing area to be increased. Especially widened - I think Profitius is right when he says that width is much more important.

Widening pitch will be impossible, because of the huge cost of stadium redevelopment. Reducing the number of on-pitch players from 15 to 13 is the solution.

In RU, pitch width is 70m (68m minimum). In RL, it's 68m.

The width for each player:

70m/15=4.67m
68m/13=5.23m

So reducing the number of on-pitch players from 15 to 13 would make games more attacking, try-oriented and spectacular?

>With a longer pitch players will have more area to defend against (from kicks)

Does that mean ingoal length? In the Rugby pitches whose ingoal length is 22m, there are a lot of grubber kick or kick-pass try attempts.

I wasn't talking about in goal length but as you say, it can also make a difference.

Going to 13 players would be too much. Maybe go to 14 aside would be better. Although a tweaking of the rules can also help.

Widening pitch will be impossible, because of the huge cost of stadium redevelopment. Reducing the number of on-pitch players from 15 to 13 is the solution.

Brilliant idea. Why don't we also have defensive lines strung across the pitch, farcical scrums and do away with line outs? Actually, it's only really line outs left to go....

Some of the very big stadia probably could add some width, but I'd agree that it would be hard for most. Just seems daft that Obolensky and Wavell-Wakefield would probably recognise pitch dimensions when everything else has changed out of sight.

Yeah kickers will be able to try for 3 points on every scrum penalty not just the ones in the opposition half

Latest posts