• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Would the NZ public/teams welcome a South African coach in any of their teams ?

TheOvalBall

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
France
I was wondering about this, since NZ and RSA have such an intense rivalry.
Also, South African coaches tend to coach differently than NZ coaches, and not sure if NZ teams would be able to accept a totally different coaching method?
Also, in recent memory i have not seen any South African coaches in NZ, but there have been in a few in Australia.

I would hope they'd do what's best for their team and hire the most qualified candidate available. Winning should be the top priority!

Last edited:
I think this is where SA and NZ have been the most "traditional" in sticking to their core rugby philosophies. The Coaches.

In SA's history, we've only had I think 3 New Zealanders coaching SA teams, Laurie Mains, John Mitchell and John Plumtree. And all 3 of them were living in SA for quite a long time.

But if I look at the current crop of SA coaches, there isn't really a lot of guys putting their hands up to be the kind of caliber to coach a NZ team. I think Johan Ackerman, Jake White, Johan van Graan and Franco Smith are the only guys who might do a good job in NZ, but these guys are already getting the big bucks where they are coaching now.

I think it's more than just coaching though, it's about culture, structures, language barriers and a whole bunch of other things too.

Maybe an assistant coach? but I can't see any of our guys becoming a head coach any time soon in NZ.

on that face of it i wouldn't have a problem...practically i think it would be hard though

NPC coaches often come out of the local club scene (if theyre not a big name ex player or something) and super coaches are now often scene as a development for the AB's job...and that is very unlikely to be a non kiwi

but really too many differences in philosophy
we being such a small country cannot afford not to play entertaining running rugby. if we didn't play attractive rugby then our kids wouldn't want to play and that's the secret of the ABs success. keep the kids interested and challenge them to be better and more outrageous than those before you. its not enough to win, u gotta look good doing it.

we being such a small country cannot afford not to play entertaining running rugby. if we didn't play attractive rugby then our kids wouldn't want to play and that's the secret of the ABs success. keep the kids interested and challenge them to be better and more outrageous than those before you. its not enough to win, u gotta look good doing it.

Is that really the philosophy??

Staying Humble is ours...

Hurricanes should hire Michael Cheika. Dude worked wonders for the Wallabies.

i kind of feel the opposite, i feel when i was a kid learning it was about playing some good code, we had tap moves back then!...i think the generation coming through ARE more interested in winning...thats why you see little kids wearing crusaders jerseys when they're family are all in the local team

i kind of feel the opposite, i feel when i was a kid learning it was about playing some good code, we had tap moves back then!...i think the generation coming through ARE more interested in winning...thats why you see little kids wearing crusaders jerseys when they're family are all in the local team
i disagree. from what i see coaching from u6's to the currently u65kgs kids are always trying to be more outrageous than their teammates. theres always braggin rights on offer

i disagree. from what i see coaching from u6's to the currently u65kgs kids are always trying to be more outrageous than their teammates. theres always braggin rights on offer
i defer to someone who is actually coaching

As much as I want to say we would welcome a "foreign" coach I dont think we would be enthusiastic about a team grinding a series of wins with the scores being divisible by 3 so it would have to be a coach that fitted our style of rugby.

I guess we will see when Gatlands review is in as he is as close to a foreign coach we will see for a while.

I hope this isn't the case. This could be partly the reason as to why the numbers are dropping in NZ. Kids are getting discouraged at an early age to play as other kids are besting them.

Whereas in SA, we don't really care much about skills and showmanship early on in development, and rather teach the kids the basics and get them to love the game. It's also evident that some kids just develop a lot later than others, and we help them with that too.

I have always heard "kiwis are rugby mad"...the more time i spend overseas i dont think thats true, the english love football, the aussie love AFL and cricket much more than kiwis love rugby....and what we're talking about is kind of connected...i think lots of kiwis grow up playing a bit of code...and then when theyre not winning or showing off they loose interest...and become a casual fan

I see these other sports in the UK and Aussie, they both have huge sunday league or masters comps...people just keep loving their sports...or the thousands of people that get memberships every year...not something that common in nz

Latest posts