• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Would the Super Rugbys best beat the NH best?

Avoidance is a great defense mechanism.

And no you didn't watch the top two teams in Europe as there is no such thing, neither Clermont nor Toulon even won their domestic competition... Further illustrating your ignorance of the NH game...

So going by that logic the Highlanders cant be super rugby champions and the best team in the southern hemisphere because they didnt win the ITM cup..... If thats how things work in europe then no wonder your importing so many past it has beens into the game up there!

The Highlanders/Hurricanes dont play in the ITM Cup.
Toulon/Clermont play in the Top 14 AND the champions cup.

I can't tell if this is just a wind up or not?

The Highlanders/Hurricanes dont play in the ITM Cup.
Toulon/Clermont play in the Top 14 AND the champions cup.

I can't tell if this is just a wind up or not?

It's from austingtir. He really believes the things he says...

no one is huffing or puffing most of us are just laughing and you are the subject !!!

So which northern side is going to beat the Canes or the Highlanders?

Its just simply not going to happen and you lot can huff and puff as much as you like....

has anyone claimed they would? Most people have said it would not be the hammering that it's claimed it would be, and really what people are taking issue with is this garbage spouted by you and many others:

austingtir;All I need to know about [B said:
the european game is its crap and they aint getting within 25points of a decent super rugby side[/B].

which is just wildly ignorant and completely unfounded.

- - - Updated - - -

So going by that logic the Highlanders cant be super rugby champions and the best team in the southern hemisphere because they didnt win the ITM cup..... If thats how things work in europe then no wonder your importing so many past it has beens into the game up there!

so by your same logic, if New Zealand lose the world cup will they no longer be the best team in the world? Were they now the best team in the world until 2011?

GOOD NO 10 you are wasting time and effort on someone who will just not listen, save your efforts for something worth while he's a lost cause!!!!!

so by your same logic, if New Zealand lose the world cup will they no longer be the best team in the world? Were they now the best team in the world until 2011?

Still sounds like your logic to me. I love how people on this forum try to twist what someone says and then be all like this is what you said when you didnt say that at all. There must be something in the water up there to scramble your brains like this its the only way I can explain it.

Still sounds like your logic to me. I love how people on this forum try to twist what someone says and then be all like this is what you said when you didnt say that at all. There must be something in the water up there to scramble your brains like this its the only way I can explain it.

Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

time to add you back to the blocked list me thinks...

To be honest I think the notion of Souther Hemisphere v Northern Hemisphere in terms of a clear quality divide is demonstrably redundant now. In reality it's more a case of NZ vs the world if you go by the quantum of results. Recently, we've seen Ireland beat both Australia and South Africa, England dominate Australia, whilst South Africa dominate England and Australia dominates Wales, who in turn have been able to beat South Africa. Meanwhile, France continue to be France and produce both brilliance and ineptitude in equal measure.

So if we're to judge the respective club competitions on the basis of the performance of national teams, the only constant is NZ's dominance, so North v South isn't really how we should phrase the question.

This is reflected in their performance in Super Rugby of course, with teams from New Zealand clearly dominating the competition over the course of its history. However, on that same basis, you'd also have to say that whilst the Kiwi club teams would likely be more successful in an integrated international club competition overall, they wouldn't be invincible either - the success of the Tahs, Reds, Bulls and Sharks in Super Rugby over the past 8 years prove that.

Last edited:
I would like to see a Champions League one day, the best sides from each top tier country play in a league to determine the best. Maybe one day.

While I generally prefer Super Rugby, calling NH rugby crap is nothing but ignorance. I've seen plenty of good Heineken Cup and Top 14 matches over the years as well as lots of boring SH ones.

Got any fish to go with chips on your shoulder?

Got any fish to go with chips on your shoulder?

Can't help you there sorry Tony but we've got plenty of fush to go with our chups.

Having said that though.....it's hard enough carrying the world on our shoulders let alone fush and chups.

Last edited:
Really, the French generally believe they have the best comp, SH believe they have the best comp, England believe their comp is as good as the French comp, Japan is average but steadily improving, and the Pro 12 is just happy to be part of the conversation..

Late to the thread but I couldn't disagree with this one more. The Pro 12 is a league full of Scottish, Welsh and Irish internationals, as well as a number of top SH players. Teams like Munster, Leinster, Glasgow, Ospreys... A league from which teams regularly compete in finals (and win) the European Cup. To write it off as just 'happy to be part of the conversation' is simply ignorant as well as arrogant.

Last edited:
Late to the thread but I couldn't disagree with this one more. The Pro 12 is a league full of Scottish, Welsh and Irish internationals, as well as a number of top SH players. Teams like Munster, Leinster, Glasgow, Ospreys... A league from which teams regularly compete in finals (and win) the European Cup. To write it off as just 'happy to be part of the conversation' is simply ignorant as well as arrogant.

There's a bit of an issue with the pro12, where the cream tends to rise to the top and the gulf between top and bottom is huge. Therefore, you can often see a few poor games in the league. A lot of those internationals you talk about are often mysteriously missing as well, particularly when top half play bottom half. I find it hard to watch sometimes, so I imagine a super 15 fan must find it very difficult!!

In saying that, I feel the top of the Pro12 aren't too far away from the top in Europe.

Overall, this is a tough debate, as factors such as where the game was played and who would referee the game would have a huge impact on a NH versus SH battle. We see this with the Lions quite often, in the the NH boys have to get used to playing the SH conditions. SH would be favourite, but to say they would obsviously hammer the NH is pretty bold, to say the least.

I originally got Freesat to watch the Pro12, but I honestly never managed to finish a single match.

Hard to say which competition is "better" but imo the majority of the best players in the world play super rugby; this is reflected in the results of international rugby. Plus the flow of talent only really goes one way, and that's north. Obviously money plays a huge part in that but you never really hear of SH teams chasing NH players.

Hard to say which competition is "better" but imo the majority of the best players in the world play super rugby; this is reflected in the results of international rugby. Plus the flow of talent only really goes one way, and that's north. Obviously money plays a huge part in that but you never really hear of SH teams chasing NH players.

The flow of players point is a bit of a red herring.

The SH unions own the provincial sides and as such control the recruitment, and cash flow, to a massive degree to suit the international set up.

When teams have been allowed to buy up overseas players, like the Rebels when first created, they have done so.

Further more distinctly average NH players have gone south and stood up - Delve, lipman, michalak, Goode, Cipriani (that one is for Olly)...

The simple fact is players don't go south because the unions control the whole game, which is not the case in England & France, coupled with the fact there are fewer teams to populate than in Europe, so there is an over saturated market.

Also, cool username *fist bump*...:)

Last edited:

Latest posts