• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Would you like to see less foreign players in NH rugby?

The great debate of the Northerly Drift

• No, because it's a better spectacle to watch with them here

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, because it helps to increase the skills leve of the local players

• Meh, I couldn't care less (because I'm ignorant on important rugby issues)

• Yes, because it makes the southern hemisphere competitions weaker

• Yes, because it blocks the places of home grown players

• I'n not fussed where they're from so long as the rugby's good

• Total voters
If they remain longtime servants to the club I'm all for it. It's just the one or two year rentals/coming over during twilight years for a quick buck that I can't stand.

rugby union in the world will only get worse, its rugby league with rucks and mauls any1 agree?

I think its good to see overseas players, you can't deny that they have improved the premiership no end, and i dont believe the England team is suffering from lack of home grown talent, thats the RFU and their silly ideas of coaching positions. I'm all for it

Rugby is no different than any other economic activities, migrants are just pursuing the best career opportunities on offer, like any of us would do.

A few may prefer to stay in their home country regardless of the salary difference, it is a personal choice.

But rugby clubs like any corporation are chasing highly skilled workers worldwide and there are not many borders left in a globalized world to stop the trend.

Investment bankers on Wall street (although laying off at the moment) just do the same.
Boeing, Airbus, Microsoft , Google are recruiting worldwide.

Dubai population is composed at 80% of migrants.

There are very few economic activities left where there is a national preference, except civil service (police, army) and defense industry.

The overseas players in Wales are monitored as you can only sign 4-5 NWQ (Non Welsh Qualified Players)

The likes of Marshall, Holah, Rush, ***o have helped developed the Welsh sides ten fold. Marshall has pushed Phillips this season and the improvements have been great. Holah has brought the best out of some of the youngsters like Ben Lewis, ***o has sorted out the Blues linout this season and Rush adds the expereince at 8 that the Blues has needed.

Like RC said, it is possible to breed home grown talent, and have a number of SH Stars as well. But, there's gotta be some kind of limit (and as far as I know, the Welsh Regions do have a limit), or as someone said, we'll go down the road that Football has gone down, and while the top clubs will be strong, in the long run, NH Rugby will go down the pan. I mean, if you want to use football as an example, just look at England! Was reading something about the Premier League is getting boring, because only 4 teams stand any chance of winning it, because they're rich enough to sign all the best foreign players, as well as using their home grown players. And if you look at the Champions League, all 4 of these teams got the 1/4 finals, 3 to the semi's, and now it's an all English final. Great for English football? No. The national side didn't qualify for Euro 2008. Do we want to see that happen to NH Rugby? I definitely don't.

It does help players but it always seems to increase in Numbers. at the moment its more of the Southern Hemisphere teams feeling the pinch but soon you could see more foreigners than locals in a team.

They need to make a limit on the number in your starting five teen and in the 22. Its at the stage where the Premier league was ten years ago. Many top teams were headed by Foreigners. Now look at it, there's maybe on English player in Arsenal.

Europe has been for the last few years a place for players who couldn't get into there National teams could get payed well. But now its turning to a place here star players are going and thats a big risk to the Southern Hemisphere game.

Last point is my only problem about Quotas of International Players is players who play for Fiji, Samao, Tonga, Argentina and teams like Georgia will not have a professional league to play in. They would struggle to keep up with the European (with Pro leagues) and SANZAR nations in terms of quality of Rugby.

In principle I am not against having good players comming from abroad. It is benefitial to the team, the players and the fans. This contributes also to opening the minds.

On the other hand what we are seeing nowadays is that actually many foreigners are employed by the clubs because they are cheaper than the local players and it's no more a question of good or bad players.

Quotas can be put in place but before that the European Union rules must be amended for sport and even though I am not sure that this exception cannot be broken by the European Court. These quotas then should be applied to all nationalities, e.g. an Irish guy playing for an English club should be counted like an Argie playing for a French club since many of the SH players have a European passport thank to their ancesters.

I wouldnt mind seeing more NH players in the Super 14. Michalak's addition to the Sharks was pretty cool imo. I think it would be awesome to see some top notch NH players grind it up down here. :p

I wouldnt mind seeing more NH players in the Super 14. Michalak's addition to the Sharks was pretty cool imo. I think it would be awesome to see some top notch NH players grind it up down here. :p
[/b]

Same here, although we didn't see much of him.

We need more SH - NH interaction 'cos I (and many more I'm sure) hardly know anything about the players up North. Apart from watching the mid year and end of year tests, that isn't enough.

I can always follow the leagues up North but I generally lose interest as I have no real team to support.

I voted ignorance cause it seemed the shortest option and I don't need to defend it. But honestly so long as the rugby is good I am happy. What I don't really like so much is big wallet teams. For example Munster are not a big wallet team they are good although they have foreign players, the players came to them. Toulon and Stade are big wallet teams.

Btw whats with all the Lupus sigs, wasn't it lupus eventually ?

I think its unfair that the rich clubs in europe get to buy all the best players :wah: . Screw it, lets disband professionalism in rugby

I read some where that the IRfU also have a limit on the number of foreign players the four provinces can buy. I think its a maximum of about 6 or 7 per sqaud

Tat's all dependant on loopholes; In the GP for example, the teams are allowed 1 forigen player, which is basically NZ, Aus & the Americas. SA and the PI's cannot count into these as under european trade laws it counts as discrimination.

Another loophole is residency/spousal residency, so Matt Burke (having been in England for so long) was technically English when he retired despite all his Wallabies caps, The Lobbe brothers are fine because they have european wives and Bruce Reihana has a French mother co can play as though he is Les Bleu.

It'd be very easy for a team of XV to be made up of forigen players exploiting the system, just look at Worcester!

Still, the main reason so many SH guys come here (in England at least) is because of the elitist attitude of the RFU; They believe the development of top players is the sole responsability of the clubs and make minimal investmant into nurturing the youngsters. Playing for England is of highest importance to Baron and co, while the clubs just want a return on their investment that makes it not worth developing youngster who will swan of for pointless SH tours and autumn tests. So for example a Kiwi, who ineligable for the AB because of their selection policy then spends the full season at the club, is a much more sound investment.

Latest posts