• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

WRU tried to shut Ospreys down?

Draggs

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
The Rugby Paper alleging that the WRU wanted to shut the Os down and send their boys to the Turks.
Details only in the Rugby Paper at the moment, but plenty of discussion with a bit more information on some well-known Welsh rugby forums.

I have no idea why the WRU are not helping the clubs out by offering central contracting or extending money during international periods when they won't do as well, if they cut down to 3 regions support would drop and they would lose money.
Outstanding decision from the WRU considering what a great finacial year they have had, record turn over and paid off the stadium 30 years before the target payments, yet they can't support 4 clubs???
Should look abroad and follow the IRFU's structure

I have no idea why the WRU are not helping the clubs out by offering central contracting or extending money during international periods when they won't do as well, if they cut down to 3 regions support would drop and they would lose money.
Outstanding decision from the WRU considering what a great finacial year they have had, record turn over and paid off the stadium 30 years before the target payments, yet they can't support 4 clubs???
Should look abroad and follow the IRFU's structure

I do value having an even slightly reputable international team.

I have been banging on about central contracts for god knows how long, and yet we see countless players leave.

Well with a coaching team of the Wales backroom that the IRFU would work brilliantly to its full potential, but alas we have Declan Kidney!

I heard they were thinking of cutting a region last week I assumed if you were to cut any it would be Newport not arguable the most successful Welsh club.

Lewis was banging on about central contracting but this leaves me with the feeling if they were to central contract the WRU think they could only manage 3 clubs

Well with a coaching team of the Wales backroom that the IRFU would work brilliantly to its full potential, but alas we have Declan Kidney!

I heard they were thinking of cutting a region last week I assumed if you were to cut any it would be Newport not arguable the most successful Welsh club.

Lewis was banging on about central contracting but this leaves me with the feeling if they were to central contract the WRU think they could only manage 3 clubs
1. Yes, when you look at the Irish regions, they should be up there. Once Kidney goes, things could really change.
2. Everybody did, but the recent talk of increased budget at RP made me wonder, and now this has come up.
3. It was idle chat to make it seem like things are 'happening'.

Here's an article talking about what was regarded.

Seems that the WRU thought the Ospreys were doomed financially, but then it was found they not. So that should be the end of the matter.

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/Ospreys-odds-WRU-claims/story-17723985-detail/story.html

Interesting that the Scarlets were planning on raiding the Ospreys though. I guess they thought they might actually have a pack for once. However the likes of Adam Jones would have probably signed in France anyway had the Ospreys disbanded I think.

Once I realised the buildup to this story was the Os financial troubles, it made a bit more sense.

I think it's still a bit odd that when Ospreys were in financial difficulty, instead of setting contigency plans with the Ospreys and trying to offer financial help, the WRU discussed predatory tactics with Scarlets. I think the Ospreys might have more insight on their own books than the Scarlets would...

I would welcome the Ospreys into the Premiership if things were to go heinously wrong after this.

I think it's still a bit odd that when Ospreys were in financial difficulty, instead of setting contigency plans with the Ospreys and trying to offer financial help, the WRU discussed predatory tactics with Scarlets. I think the Ospreys might have more insight on their own books than the Scarlets would...

I would welcome the Ospreys into the Premiership if things were to go heinously wrong after this.
Can we come as well? Seriously. It would be better for supporters to travel to Gloucester and Bath than Glasgow and Treviso.
I'd much rather be in the Prem than RaboDire12.

Just to be a *******, I wouldn't, I don't want a bigger Premiership and I don't want less top flight English teams to accomodate anyone - harsh maybe but there we go.

That said, are the WRU genuinely trying to destroy rugby? They make the morons at the RFU and IRFU look very sane and sensible.

That said, are the WRU genuinely trying to destroy rugby? They make the morons at the RFU and IRFU look very sane and sensible.

To be fair the WRU only went down that root because they were told by sources that the Ospreys were under huge financial pressure. One point they were, but in reality were unlikely to go out of business.

The real major concern for the WRU are the Dragons, financially they are not in great shape and they are not a good side despite in recent years providing a few Welsh internationals in Charteris, Lydiate and Felatau. The Dragons books apparently don't make great reading and this is why I am surprised as a Region they are not looking to push more for Central Contracts.

Now with this the WRU have offered a deal. The regions don't like it because the WRU are gaining the control and also the regions don't want to really accept the deal because it shows they messed up. However Roger Lewis is a man not to be trusted. I do believe the deal he offered in the Summer and subsequently in and around October was not great for the regions. Basically the WRU would control the regions, hire and fire the coaches and move players about. The concern was over revenue and how much actual control the boards within the regions would get under the control of the WRU. Also no doubt with Roger Lewis, the regions would be held to ransom by himself and his cronies Yet with the new board being established then something might well come to fruition soonish rather than later. Alex Cuthbert's deal with the Blues has apparently been partly financed by the WRU.

The WRU under Lewis is a money making scheme. You only have to look at how tickets are now sold at Tesco's and not solely through rugby clubs like it used to be. Lewis won't comment on the profit and the deal the WRU cut with Tesco's. However at the end of the day, the regions need to find a way to get under central contracts and the WRU have got to offer an acceptable deal.