• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

WTF?

Yellow card for tackling hard. Not high, arms wrapped, no lift, player lands arse first

Any of the ref.s here have any thoughts?
@smartcooky
@themole25

A fair bit of leading with shoulder and head to head.
In fairness whichever way ref and TMO went someone would counter the other argument.
I have no issues with decision or if had been back for knock on,pure interpretation by match officials which we should except.
NB reffed today.

What?

His arms were out in front of him, and his head went nowhere near the other guy's.

As you say, WT, it's a yellow card for tackling too hard.

What?

His arms were out in front of him, and his head went nowhere near the other guy's.

As you say, WT, it's a yellow card for tackling too hard.
But you have to wrap not just wave your arms.
I'm not defending or arguing against decision it's how you see, then interpretation as an official.
Try it an see how easy it is,today's game for me was two very decent clubs vets side who believe laws are still in 90s

You said he was leading with his shoulder, when his arms were outstretched to wrap the player.

He then wrapped the player.

When you have video replays (as these officials did), it's very, very easy.

Rubbish call by Cardona who is a controversial ref. Perfectly legal tackle.

Ridiculous decision.

Both arms wrapped, simultaneous contact with the TOP of the shoulder (NOT the point). That is a perfectly executed crash-tackle, exactly the way players are coached to tackle.

I wonder what the game is coming to when a textbook, totally legal tackle is not only penalised, its yellow carded as well.

In fairness whichever way ref and TMO went someone would counter the other argument.
I have no issues with decision or if had been back for knock on,pure interpretation by match officials which we should except.
NB reffed today.

You show me a player who tackles ferociously with only his arms (NO shoulder contact), and I'll show you a player who, at some point in time very soon, is certainly going to break an arm. Take a look at the way Raymond Rhule tried to tackle Liam Squire (3 times) in last night's test. He's bloody lucky he didnl't get an arm broken

Tackling in rugby requires the use of the top of the shoulder with the arms out in a position to wrap, and where the point of the shoulder is not presented to the opponent. This differs from the shoulder charge (SBW style) where the point of the shoulder impacts the opponent.

When a player presents the "point" of his shoulder, which he does by tucking his leading arm in and turning his body almost side on, and then and runs into an opponent point-first, there is very little "give"; the shoulder is braced laterally with the weight of the whole torso which transfers through the point into the opponent, with force. However, when a player has their arms out in front like this guy does, there is no "point" on the shoulder. That part which was the point is now on the top of the arm. There is a lot more "give", i.e. the tackler takes a much larger share of the impact force, and (depending on which shoulder he uses) he takes it down the whole right or left side of his torso, through the clavicle. This is why the point of the shoulder is dangerous, while the top of the shoulder (with arms out) is not.

I wonder what the game is coming to when a textbook, totally legal tackle is not only penalised, its yellow carded as well.

Ludicrous decision. But for me just a mistake by the officials on the day, rather than a sign of something bigger.

In terms of what the game is coming too, I'm far more concerned about the vilification of "seatbelt tackles" which are not around the neck and not in the least bit dangerous

Latest posts