• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

WWJG - Where Would Johnny Go

G

getofmeland

There has been a lot of talk over the last couple of months about the liklyhood of Johnny Wilkinson leaving the Falcons, so I thought I would do a quick discussion on this matter, probably one of the best known players in the World today, if not the best?

At the Falcons I have never sensed that he has been able to prove himself at club level, they have never been a hugely successful club, but he has been loyal and true to them for many years now, but the departure of his mentor, the guy who has helped him through so much it makes you think what kind of future does the Falcons hold for Johnny.

He last lifted the Premiership crown with the Falcons in 1998, which is nearly 10 years ago, other than a couple of Powergen Cups, success at club level has missed out on Johnny... This is where the thought that his 10 year career at the Falcons could end.

But where would Johnny go?

There are of course a couple of clubs in the Guinness Premiership who could make room for him, Leicester being the obvious choice from them, he could make a move to the Magners League, whether it would be a correct one that is an entirely different question, one of the clubs I would think would be interested in him in the Magners is Edinburgh, but somehow I just can't see it happening. The next possibility is moving to France to play in the Top 14, now this too me seems like it could be the most likely choice for Johnny if he decided to make the move. It is a different style of Rugby than the Guinness Premiership, but a style that I think Johnny would enjoy playing.
The Super 14 is another long shot option, but I honestly couldn't see this happening, very rare is it that a player has departed from England and gone to play in the Super 14, in the current climate it has gone the other way, and that would also ruin Johnny's chances of playing for England on a regular basis.

The final option for Johnny is the simplist one, stay at Newcastle, play some underachieving rugby and end your career there, but stay loyal to the club that has done you so well.

Its a tough call, some could even say Johnny is too big now for any club to take on, but the decision is likely to be made in late January 2008.

I think he'll stay at Newcastle.

How many Guiness Premiership clubs would realistically be willing to take a chance on him considering he wouldn't come cheap and his injury record in the last few years? Leicester seem to have their sights set elsewhere at the moment.

I can't in all honesty see the Magners League holding any attraction to him although the Top 14 would be a possibility.

Given that Newcastle have stood by him throughout all his injuries I think he will stick by them.

He'd cost far too much for any other Premiership club to take him on with the wage cap (his name alone is worth £500k) while he wouldn't be able to oust the regular 10s these days. Except maybe for Worcester, who could maybe stand to sign yet another past-it superstar...

His England career, if there's any justice in the world considering the meteoric rise or Cipriani and Lamb, is over. So if he's got any sense he'd be looking to either France or South Africa if he wanted to move.

Still, I can see him staying on the physios table at Newcastle for the another 5 years before calling it a day.

Saracens can't have him, our salary cap is at bursting point right now, and we also want to push Alex Goode into the fly-half berth to replace Glen Jackson when he retires.

His England career, if there's any justice in the world considering the meteoric rise or Cipriani and Lamb, is over.
[/b]

Cipriani's defensive frailty was unfortunately on evidence against Bath and IMO England need a 10 who can make those tackles.
England are blessed at the moment with quality players (Lamb, Flood, Cipriani & Geraghty) who will in time make a serious claim on the England shirt but I'm not convinced that they're ready just yet. I'm all for giving young blood a chance but sometimes a more experienced head is what is needed.
I wouldn't be too quick to cast Wilkinson aside immediately although I would hope that come the next World Cup at least two of those players will have developed into the finished article and can make the world stage their own.

He'd cost far too much for any other Premiership club to take him on with the wage cap (his name alone is worth £500k) while he wouldn't be able to oust the regular 10s these days. Except maybe for Worcester, who could maybe stand to sign yet another past-it superstar...

His England career, if there's any justice in the world considering the meteoric rise or Cipriani and Lamb, is over. So if he's got any sense he'd be looking to either France or South Africa if he wanted to move.

Still, I can see him staying on the physios table at Newcastle for the another 5 years before calling it a day.
[/b]

Are you kidding? Jonny has got plenty of rugby left in him, plus hes still got to take the all-time points record so more appearances in and england shirt are essential to that lol

Even if the younger guys come up to take the number 10 shirt he could maybe slot into #12 and provide more options for the youngsters and teach em somthing

I have to admit slowly over the years I have grown to admire Johnny and now rate him as the most valuable number ten.......ahead of Carter.

I would love him to come to NZ and play for a NZ S14 franchise. He would teach quite a bit to NZ rugby about how to "win" a game....his perspective and experience would be quite invaluable to NZ players and would probably toughen up some of our players mentally. We here in NZ have loads of talent and flair and are perhaps too reliant on these attributes that we are a bit on the weak side when it comes to tough close rugby.

Johnny would be a great asset if he played in the S14 for a NZ franchise. In fact I bet he would probably take the Chiefs to the S14 playoffs and maybe with a bit of luck take them to the ***le. The Chiefs can score when they want to....and defend when they want to...they just need someone who will direct them away from their goal line when their defence is shaky...to only open up their attack when they have an edge over an opponents defence...to kick into corners when they need to. The Chiefs have huge potential but lack direction with this potential and often end up unknowingly in messy situations that an experienced person like Wilkinson would not put them in.

So in short....bring Johnny to the Chiefs!!

I have to admit slowly over the years I have grown to admire Johnny and now rate him as the most valuable number ten.......ahead of Carter.
[/b]

100% agree. 2002 i hated england and especally wilkinson. but over the past years, even though he hasnt had much game time, he really is an enjoyable player to watch.

<div class='quotemain'> I have to admit slowly over the years I have grown to admire Johnny and now rate him as the most valuable number ten.......ahead of Carter.
[/b]

100% agree. 2002 i hated england and especally wilkinson. but over the past years, even though he hasnt had much game time, he really is an enjoyable player to watch.

[/b][/quote]

And he is not a ******* when it comes to tackling and that to Islanders earns him our RESPECT!

:D haha

and his kicking. i hate to say it, but its what you need in a flyhalf. get the fowards to get the ball. give the ball to wilkinson, and get him to kick the **** out of it. all the way back to the 22 to start over again. its amazing. and that try in the wc, when he was lining up a penalty kick, hits it right on purpose for the winger to catch and score a try. awesome stuff.

Latest posts