South Africa
Olivier, Kankowski off to Japan
2012-06-20 22:29Email | Print

Wynand Olivier (Gallo Images)
Related Links
Bulls to lose CJ Stander
Continuity key for Heyneke
Record crowd for JWC final

Cape Town - Springboks Wynand Olivier and Ryan Kankowski will shortly head overseas to continue their rugby careers in Japan, according to Volksblad.

The duo have already informed Bok coach Heyneke Meyer of their intentions to further their careers abroad.

They are due to leave South Africa at the end of the Super Rugby competition and could be earning more than R500 000 per month playing in the Japanese league.

Negotiations between Olivier, his Japanese club and the Bulls regarding his Super Rugby participation are at an advanced stage. His contract is believed to be for two-years.

Kankowski's stint in Japan is likely to be for six months only. His soured relationship with Sharks coach John Plumtree is believed to have played a part in his desire to leave.

It is unsure if the two will play any part in South Africa's Rugby Championship campaign later in the year.

Both will feature for the Boks in the final Test against England at the Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium on Saturday, with Olivier starting at inside centre and Kankowski providing loose forward cover on the bench.

Sounds to me like every cloud has a silver lining... Meisiekind and the Hoff might be playing their last Springbok game this weekend... can I get a hell yeah!!

next season Toyota Verblitz will have a back row containing both Jerome Kaino and Ryan Kankowski, being coached by legend Filo Tiatia

From what I've heard, the Kankowski/Plumtree thing is made up.
Can we send Plum to Japan as well?

Ha! He's gonna say you can go suck on his plums! you appointed the guy, now live with the consequences...

But if he eventually leaves, you could always do what the Sharks do best, recruit from the Lions or Cheetahs...

The Sharks can have Naka, ANY time. Cheetahs can take Mitchell.

Screw the Lions, no one cares about the Lions :p

What coach should be best suited for the Sharks? Naka Drotske is my pick, considering the way he lets the Cheetahs play. That style is similar to the Sharks.

What coach should be best suited for the Sharks? Naka Drotske is my pick, considering the way he lets the Cheetahs play. That style is similar to the Sharks.

Haha, Naka is a poor man's Plumtree IMO... you're going to get the same type of coach but with a shitty defense... something the Sharks don't need, seeing that they don't have that many Cups in their Trophy cabinet over the years...

But if you guys want Naka, then go for it... then the Cheetahs might actually have a chance of finishing top of SA Conference/win currie cups...

Not too many Cups?

We won the Currie Cup 6 times in 22 years (that's more than a 25% success rate) and made the Super Rugby final 3 times (more than any other team who hasn't won it) so we have enough to be thankful for and cheerful about. Thing is, Plum is not making our talents better. Naka does help the development of youngsters. Look at the way Robert Ebersohn, Brussow, Adriaan Strauss, van Zyl and Oosthuizen have developed under him. These are just the talents still in the Cheetahs-system. I didn't even mention the shitload of talents who left Bloem.

Who would your pick be for a new Sharks coach?

Not too many Cups?

We won the Currie Cup 6 times in 22 years (that's more than a 25% success rate) and made the Super Rugby final 3 times (more than any other team who hasn't won it) so we have enough to be thankful for and cheerful about. Thing is, Plum is not making our talents better. Naka does help the development of youngsters. Look at the way Robert Ebersohn, Brussow, Adriaan Strauss, van Zyl and Oosthuizen have developed under him. These are just the talents still in the Cheetahs-system. I didn't even mention the shitload of talents who left Bloem.

John Smit

Not too many Cups?

The obligatory Nick Mallett.

But if he keeps on picking certain players before others, I don't think he's you're savior.

Not too many Cups? We won the Currie Cup 6 times in 22 years (that's more than a 25% success rate) and made the Super Rugby final 3 times (more than any other team who hasn't won it) so we have enough to be thankful for and cheerful about. Thing is, Plum is not making our talents better. Naka does help the development of youngsters. Look at the way Robert Ebersohn, Brussow, Adriaan Strauss, van Zyl and Oosthuizen have developed under him. These are just the talents still in the Cheetahs-system. I didn't even mention the shitload of talents who left Bloem. Who would your pick be for a new Sharks coach?
Won it 6 times in 122 years.

Latest posts