• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

X-Factor: What is it and who has it?

Aedaphon

Bench Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Barbarians
So this is just a curiosity question- what does everyone think rugby X-factor is?

To me, it really just means the ability to make something out of nothing. A try from nowhere, seemingly impossible turnovers, they're my key picks. Obviously some fantastic players don't have this quality, but the most exciting (not necessarily the best) all do.

I tend to think of it as an ability to do something relatively consistently, beyond what can regularly be expected of most players in a similar position.

I agree on the same point; something out of nothing. Doesn't have to be the ability to score a try from nothing, necessarily- Somebody like David Pocock seems to pilfer the ball out of thin air. Obvious, the best tightheads invariably don't have it, but the best backs and back-rowers will. Even then, someone such as Danny Care or Stuart Hogg who may not be ranked as the very finest in the world can produce something from nothing (Just look at the Quins game this weekend for a prime example) and I'd say they're glowing with the light this made-up accolade.

errrr the X factor huh ? well it's that thing some teams have that allows them to sometimes beat a certain team which people may not have seen coming.

The ability and willingness to push the boundaries of accepted norms (in rugby) is what I consider 'X-factor'

Someone like Quade Cooper backing himself so often to make those passes most would deem a 50/50 at best in circumstances where taking the ball to ground and recycling would be more sensible as an example.

So I'd definitely agree that Quade has bags of it - but I wouldn't say that it has to be risk based. Risks only look good when they pay off XD

I think a lot of it comes down to vision as well, just seeing opportunities that others don't

So I'd definitely agree that Quade has bags of it - but I wouldn't say that it has to be risk based. Risks only look good when they pay off XD

I think a lot of it comes down to vision as well, just seeing opportunities that others don't

Yes, I certainly agree with this. In terms of having the ability I see vision as part of that; ability. I can't argue that it isn't necessarily risk based and it can be just some form of ability or level of ability that sets a player apart. I do think though that some form of consistency is required though- like Nick said- otherwise it's not an aspect of the player but a fluke or a few flukes; whatever it is that the player managed to do that 1 or few times.

I would define it as the term used by a pundit when unable or unwilling to actually express what is so good about a player in understandable English.

Generally denoting players with unusually high levels of attacking talent.

Exactly, it's basically another way of saying "he's got exceptional feet/hands/pace..."

Latest posts