• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Yet more poor inconsistenmt and bias refereeing by Wayne Barnes

And the Referee debate goes on and on...Yawn.

Wales were deserved winners and has as many if not more decisions go against them. Get over it people

Because the context of the penalties is more important than merely giving them.

A ref can't give penalties based on context, he can give a penalty because it's a penalty or not a penalty.

It's possible Wayne Barnes reffing finally could replace BOD Gate 2013?

I wouldn't because we were winning.
You didn't win though and there seams to be 'we lost because of ref, despite equal penalties and 2 yellow cards in our favour' not 'we lost because we could only score 3 points again 14 men for 14 minutes and let 3 points in.'

Remember the average net gain for a yellow card 10 points (not zero) if you'd done what is normally done you'd have won.

Wales had more to offer in the backline and defended the Irish 'Bosh' magnificently, they are the main reasons Wales won.

A ref can't give penalties based on context, he can give a penalty because it's a penalty or not a penalty.

It's possible Wayne Barnes reffing finally could replace BOD Gate 2013?
I meant with reference to giving out cards.

- - - Updated - - -

You didn't win though and there seams to be 'we lost because of ref, despite equal penalties and 2 yellow cards in our favour' not 'we lost because we could only score 3 points again 14 men for 14 minutes and let 3 points in.'

Remember the average net gain for a yellow card 10 points (not zero) if you'd done what is normally done you'd have won.
Irish ball was consistently. Consistently slowed down at the breakdown illegally , with the scrumhalf being impeded constantly with no ****ing word from Barnes.
If you look at the game in an objective manner it's clear as ****ing day that in the second half , when Ireland were looking threatening and making good ground Wales were given the freedom of the city at ruck time.

One of them was Warburton holding on, you guys gave away 4 penalties in similar situations in the first 12 minutes ?

If you look at the game in an objective manner it's clear as ****ing day that in the second half , when Ireland were looking threatening and making good ground Wales were given the freedom of the city at ruck time.

Do you think you're objective then?

I'd wager the neutral supporter is probably a bit more better placed mate.

Irish ball was consistently. Consistently slowed down at the breakdown illegally , with the scrumhalf being impeded constantly with no ****ing word from Barnes.
Objective? I'm a neutral who wanted Ireland to win because I dislike the way Wales play and are managed.

- - - Updated - - -

Also lets not forget Ireland also made the standard mistake of not passing the ball out wide on the 5 meter line despite having numbers during a 30+ phase play. No amount of slowing the ball made that decision a mistake.

Do you think you're objective then?

I'd wager the neutral supporter is probably a bit more better placed mate.

I criticize the teams I support just as harshly as anyone else. The refereeing was appalling. Have a look at the second half of the game again and tell me that the constant slowing down of ball illegally and impeding the scrumhalf constantly did not occur.

Objective? I'm a neutral who wanted Ireland to win because I dislike the way Wales play and are managed.

- - - Updated - - -

Also lets not forget Ireland also made the standard mistake of not passing the ball out wide on the 5 meter line despite having numbers during a 30+ phase play. No amount of slowing the ball made that decision a mistake.

See above.
Yes that was one of the stupidest plays I've seen in a long time. I'd like another look at it. But you're just deviating from the point I'm trying to make being that Barnes was ****ing ****e and let Wales away with murder. I'm not arguing that Ireland were clinical with chances in any way.
What I'm saying is we got ****ing shafted at the breakdown because Barnes wasn't calling clear cut penalties.

I criticize the teams I support just as harshly as anyone else. The refereeing was appalling. Have a look at the second half of the game again and tell me that the constant slowing down of ball illegally and impeding the scrumhalf constantly did not occur.

See above.
Yes that was one of the stupidest plays I've seen in a long time. I'd like another look at it. But you're just deviating from the point I'm trying to make being that Barnes was ****ing ****e and let Wales away with murder. I'm not arguing that Ireland were clinical with chances in any way.
What I'm saying is we got ****ing shafted at the breakdown because Barnes wasn't calling clear cut penalties.

There were a hell of a lot of penalties that could've gone against Ireland but simply didn't. It works both ways mate, he wasn't singling out Ireland to not give penalties to.

I'm not usually a fan of his style of breakdown refereeing, but I'm happy to admit his reffing definitely added to the spectacle of the match.

See above.

Can we get some gifs in here?
Hard to know what specifically is being referred to so I think the burden of evidence falls upon the complainant!

I did stumble across this rather butt hurt video on the YouTubes:

While there's definitely penalties in there that could have gone Ireland's way that didn't, but you could make the exact some video from a Welsh perspective and get a very very similar outcome... Nature of the laws of the breakdown.

Last edited by a moderator:
Barnes wasn't good, it probably didn't effect the result but the first 20 minutes were reffed completely different to the following 60. An example off the top of my head was when McGrath was penalised for not rolling away despite making a clear attempt and getting out of the way of the ball and less than 10 minutes later a Welsh player was in a worse and "had done enough" not to be penalised.

The same infringements persisted throughout out the game but was not reffed as stringently and Wales being on top in the first 20, when they didn't score a try so the argument that Ireland couldn't score tries is a bit redundant, definitely won them the game. The scrum at the end was also a huge pile of ****e, but it would have been grand larceny if they'd robbed a draw!

Wait until Barnes misses two blatant forward passes that put you out of a RWC quarter final that you were winning.
We knew Wayne Barnes was a rotten ref 8 years ago and he has not got any better.
That was an appalling series of decisions that shows even allegedly experienced ref's get caught up in the home game atmosphere.

Wait until Barnes misses two blatant forward passes that put you out of a RWC quarter final that you were winning.
We knew Wayne Barnes was a rotten ref 8 years ago and he has not got any better.
That was an appalling series of decisions that shows even allegedly experienced ref's get caught up in the home game atmosphere.

Lydney realised that they had been too generous to antipodean rugby having given you the Bledisloe cup, so gave you Wayne Barnes just to redress the balance!

I did stumble across this rather butt hurt video on the YouTubes:

While there's definitely penalties in there that could have gone Ireland's way that didn't, but you could make the exact some video from a Welsh perspective and get a very very similar outcome... Nature of the laws of the breakdown.

Interesting...so I watched just the first couple of examples but will watch the whole thing again as well as the whole match later.

The first instances are simply not comparable. Sexton would be the first to admit that he flopped big style in quite a comic way. Without having watched whole thing I can't comment definitively on whether sealing off took place, BUT: what the video author isn't appreciating is that the clear-out very frequently will RESULT in players off their feet as part of the contest, therefore the referee makes a judgement about whether there was attempted clearout by players on their feet, or whether they ended up off their feet as part of a contest. Thats why referees tend to say "straight off your feet" to explain a penalty because the distinction is that a legitimate attempt at clear out and otherwise.
In the lydiate case he lost his footing trying to clear out O'Brian rather than going straight off his feet. As long as he doesn't continue on the ground that's fine.

Also, when myself and Olyy complained against some early decisions against England at the aviva, it was labelled 'pathetic' - just saying...!

Last edited by a moderator:
quit whining

you europeans spend a lot of time whining about officiating. Some refs are more accurate than others, but 90% of the time their mistakes balance out. Some good, some bad for both sides. The thought that WB was biased against Ireland or his officiating affected the outcome is comical. Wales had two yellows. Ireland had none. That is all.

you europeans spend a lot of time whining about officiating. Some refs are more accurate than others, but 90% of the time their mistakes balance out. Some good, some bad for both sides. The thought that WB was biased against Ireland or his officiating affected the outcome is comical. Wales had two yellows. Ireland had none. That is all.
That's a ****ing semantic point ,just because a refferee does his job at certain times of the game doesn't excuse him for the **** job he did in so many other aspects of the game.
Sorry but that doesn't wash with me.

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting...so I watched just the first couple of examples but will watch the whole thing again as well as the whole match later.

The first instances are simply not comparable. Sexton would be the first to admit that he flopped big style in quite a comic way. Without having watched whole thing I can't comment definitively on whether sealing off took place, BUT: what the video author isn't appreciating is that the clear-out very frequently will RESULT in players off their feet as part of the contest, therefore the referee makes a judgement about whether there was attempted clearout by players on their feet, or whether they ended up off their feet as part of a contest. Thats why referees tend to say "straight off your feet" to explain a penalty because the distinction is that a legitimate attempt at clear out and otherwise.
In the lydiate case he lost his footing trying to clear out O'Brian rather than going straight off his feet. As long as he doesn't continue on the ground that's fine.

Also, when myself and Olyy complained against some early decisions against England at the aviva, it was labelled 'pathetic' - just saying...!
I agree with points of people coming off their feet but trajectory and perceived intent have to come into play also.

Agreed. Sexton flopped to the deck while the majority of the comparisons are players going down in the act of taking out competition at the ruck. Not comparable imo. Also missing players in at the side is not new for Barnes. I'm sure he missed a host of Irish lads in at the side too.

For what its worth, and i say that because the majority here will dismiss it as sour grapes, Barnes did what he normally does in games; he favoured the home team slightly. Especially in the decisions close to the end when he knows the game is in the balance. Was that why Ireland lost? No, absolutely not. An inability to convert 2 thirds possession and territory into a sizeable lead was why we lost.

Latest posts