• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Your 31 man Squad and Starting 15 for Your country in the Rugby World Cup 2019 guys part 2 :)

Mako
George
Sinckler
Itoje
Kruis
Wilson
Curry
Billy

Youngs
Faz
May
Tuilagi
Slade
Nowell
Daly

Hartley
Genge
Cole
Lawes
Underhill
Care
Cipriani
Big Joe

Moon
LCD
Williams
Launch
Robshaw
Spencer
Ford
T'eo
Robshaw and care are available but have not been picked in the training squad and prob wont be there. But your entitled to your opinion.
Hartley will not be available for the world cup. Not sure who takes his place.

Robshaw and care are available but have not been picked in the training squad and prob wont be there. But your entitled to your opinion.
Hartley will not be available for the world cup. Not sure who takes his place.

From what I have seen - though I may be wrong - this camp has been labelled as a skills development camp. Due to the volume of Semi's/Final players unavailable and by Eddie's choice of omissions and some of the inclusions, I see it more as some of the bolters and players with question marks over them being given a chance to make it further in the selection process with a keen eye on them. EJ knows exactly what he is getting from players like Hughes, Care and Robshaw, so I imagine there is no need for them to be there. I think the odds are beyond slim that they have all been booted out of the WC before the first training camp.

If Hartley is indeed ruled out completely for the WC as you say then LCD comes up to the bench behind George. Beyond that I am not too sure either, I quite like Dunn though.

I think Wilson's excellent run of form takes him ahead of Robshaw, though Robshaw's experience and leadership leaves him well ahead of Shields in my mind. Where he fits in against Itoje or Lawes at 6 is a bit unclear though personally I am not a big fan of locks at blindside. Nor do I think Robshaw is an openside.

Care has played well this season and has 80 odd caps to his name compared to the handful everyone bar Youngs has. I think EJ is clear in his mind that they are the starting pair, he needs to be sure of his back up.

From what I have seen - though I may be wrong - this camp has been labelled as a skills development camp. Due to the volume of Semi's/Final players unavailable and by Eddie's choice of omissions and some of the inclusions, I see it more as some of the bolters and players with question marks over them being given a chance to make it further in the selection process with a keen eye on them. EJ knows exactly what he is getting from players like Hughes, Care and Robshaw, so I imagine there is no need for them to be there. I think the odds are beyond slim that they have all been booted out of the WC before the first training camp.

If Hartley is indeed ruled out completely for the WC as you say then LCD comes up to the bench behind George. Beyond that I am not too sure either, I quite like Dunn though.

I think Wilson's excellent run of form takes him ahead of Robshaw, though Robshaw's experience and leadership leaves him well ahead of Shields in my mind. Where he fits in against Itoje or Lawes at 6 is a bit unclear though personally I am not a big fan of locks at blindside. Nor do I think Robshaw is an openside.

Care has played well this season and has 80 odd caps to his name compared to the handful everyone bar Youngs has. I think EJ is clear in his mind that they are the starting pair, he needs to be sure of his back up.
I get your point but robshaw had had no gametime for England or even in the England set up for quite a while....he needs to be there if he has a chance. Personally i dont think we need robshaw, as for him vs shields, shields covers lock so ej will take him.

I dont think EJ likes Care that much i think we will take youngs spencer robson as our 3. Massivly less experience

Really good points here. Note the team you quoted was what I think they will pick, not what I'd pick. I was struggling with my last outside back option for the squad too and also dont like the idea of Jordie at 15. I would pick naholo to start but I am thinking of changing my mind for the backup, as I currently have havili but potentially a wing backup rather than fullback would fit better. I think George bridge is still a possibility in the selectors minds. I haven't really noticed how ennor and Reece fare under the high ball. Have you? Alaimalo would be another option

I too like Alaimalo and would have picked him last year for the Japan game. He seems to have gone a bit quiet since the concussion and his defensive work is very poor this year.
I see the crusaders have flipped on Ennor after a 3 try match but also a few miss tackles and couple shocking passes. Bridge is another Cory Jane type - safe. Really dont know what theyll do.

figallo
creevy
tetaz
lavanini
petti
kramer
isa
matera
cubo
sanchez
delguy
delafuente
orlando
moyano
bonfelli

vivas
herrera
medrano
pieretto
montoya
alemanno
paulos
ortega
lezana
bertranou
bonilla
moroni
tucu
carreras
cancelliere
mellia

I have only seen him play wing and he has played well there,

This is the world cup, they have no where near been tested at this level. We have issues but not massive ones enough to throw 2 uncapped players in the deep end and hope.

Cips is a tough one because attack hasnt been our weak point. And thoughing a better attacking player who has known defencive issues in would not fix the problems

I think we agree on the class of mercer and is not a bad bench option but i believe wilson is an experienced head we need in the team. Has done alot in the 6N and has been part of a failing falcons team.

I'd argue about Cips known defensive weakness, he has really worked on them, has pulled off some amazing game changing tackles for Gloucester this season, I know you didn't specifically mention it here but others have his goal kicking is below par for an international fly half, however if Faz is on he won't be taking them, Spencer, Daly & Slade all good goal kickers as well, IMO England's main issues recently has been blowing leads for unknown reasons, Cips is a temp player maybe the kind needed to maintain the tempo and not stop playing.

I'd argue about Cips known defensive weakness, he has really worked on them, has pulled off some amazing game changing tackles for Gloucester this season, I know you didn't specifically mention it here but others have his goal kicking is below par for an international fly half, however if Faz is on he won't be taking them, Spencer, Daly & Slade all good goal kickers as well, IMO England's main issues recently has been blowing leads for unknown reasons, Cips is a temp player maybe the kind needed to maintain the tempo and not stop playing.
I get your point, with kicking though spencer isnt the usual kicker or guarenteed to be on. Slade barely kicks and is maybe on par with cips and daly is the long range option but not a main kicker by any stretch.

I dont think our issue has been players, i think it has been tactics, after playing a running ball in hand game for so long then all of a sudden we went to a kicking game to keep our lead.

When they were down vs sarries, cips didnt do alot to get them back into the game.

I still think Faz > Ford > Cips > Smith

I get your point, with kicking though spencer isnt the usual kicker or guarenteed to be on. Slade barely kicks and is maybe on par with cips and daly is the long range option but not a main kicker by any stretch.

I dont think our issue has been players, i think it has been tactics, after playing a running ball in hand game for so long then all of a sudden we went to a kicking game to keep our lead.

When they were down vs sarries, cips didnt do alot to get them back into the game.

I still think Faz > Ford > Cips > Smith

Outside of goal kicking I don't really see why Ford would be favoured over Cips, maybe the experience of playing with Fazs as we know they also did it at age group should be factored in, but that aside IMO Cips is just a better 10.

I don't think you can really bring into the Gloucester Vs Sarries semi final, if we are honest Exeter & Sarries just blow everyone else in the premiership away if anywhere near their best.

Wales specific post - what with the proven goal kicking ability of Dan Biggar and Gareth Anscombe, does anyone agree that when selecting a 31 (& ideally you'd want an 18-13 split with our back row options) Patchell should be selected over Halfpenny?

I know it probably won't happen as 1/2p is a favourite of the management team but at least with Patchell (whom I think is a great 15 actually) you have a back up 10 too.

Hope the rumours about Gats taking only 2 10's aren't true! Seems a crazy thing to consider given how many of our 10's and wingers can cover 15 if required.

Halfpenny then becomes the obvious one to leave out with Sanjay 1st choice. Either Patchell or Jarrod Evan's there as 10/15 cover. Anscombe and Adams also slot into 15 if required.

Hope the rumours about Gats taking only 2 10's aren't true! Seems a crazy thing to consider given how many of our 10's and wingers can cover 15 if required.

Halfpenny then becomes the obvious one to leave out with Sanjay 1st choice. Either Patchell or Jarrod Evan's there as 10/15 cover. Anscombe and Adams also slot into 15 if required.

I can see the benefits (ie extra back rower)... I would go with two out and out 10's personally (Anscombe & Biggar) and Patchell as he is just SO versatile that he is basically made for a World Cup 31 man squad (bit like Eliot Daily). As I'd also go with Amos, another super versatile back, as sad as I'd be to leave 1/2p out it'd be the decision I'd make. Can't see Gats doing it though, I know he's made some big calls in his career (BOD, Nugget, Bomb etc) I just can't see it happening here.

I can see the benefits (ie extra back rower)... I would go with two out and out 10's personally (Anscombe & Biggar) and Patchell as he is just SO versatile that he is basically made for a World Cup 31 man squad (bit like Eliot Daily). As I'd also go with Amos, another super versatile back, as sad as I'd be to leave 1/2p out it'd be the decision I'd make. Can't see Gats doing it though, I know he's made some big calls in his career (BOD, Nugget, Bomb etc) I just can't see it happening here.

Haven't seen 1/2p play for a while but from what I remember he's a little like brown very solid all round but lacks the pace and flare of other options, I appreciate he is a very good goal kicker but as you say, you have other quality options for that.

Haven't seen 1/2p play for a while but from what I remember he's a little like brown very solid all round but lacks the pace and flare of other options, I appreciate he is a very good goal kicker but as you say, you have other quality options for that.

Don't get me wrong I do rate 1/2p a lot... particularly defensively it's just when squad sizes are SO small and all, sacrifices have to be made.

Just been watching some of the Wales training sessions in the Swiss Alps... Shingler is looking big, powerful, quick and fit. I was worried that after a season out it might have been too much to ask but if the vids are anything to go by I think he'll get a spot.

Just been watching some of the Wales training sessions in the Swiss Alps... Shingler is looking big, powerful, quick and fit. I was worried that after a season out it might have been too much to ask but if the vids are anything to go by I think he'll get a spot.

Massively competitive in the back row, but if he proves his fitness and form in the warm ups, Shingler should be a cert imo for his ability in the lineout, our one big area of concern in the 6nations. It would probably be at the expense of Wainwright, which is a massive shame given the year he's had, but as you've said bushy top, hard decisions have to be made when squad size is so small. Shingler can also slot in at lock in an emergency, whilst Wainwrights time will come.

Where's falatau? He hasnt played in a long time club or country but im sure i read somewhere he is fit again, will he be brought straight back in?.

Where's falatau? He hasnt played in a long time club or country but im sure i read somewhere he is fit again, will he be brought straight back in?.

Yeah he's training... no contact work yet but S&C. Funnily enough, he was Shinglers circuit partner in the video I watched and Talupe was struggling to keep up.

Still, if he's not injured come departure time he's sure to be on the plane... one of the premier 8's in the world and all that.

Yeah he's training... no contact work yet but S&C. Funnily enough, he was Shinglers circuit partner in the video I watched and Talupe was struggling to keep up.

Still, if he's not injured come departure time he's sure to be on the plane... one of the premier 8's in the world and all that.
He's had a bad time with injuries so it will be good to see him back playing, hate to see a world class player sat on the sideline regardless of the competion.

Latest posts