nickdnz

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Hurricanes
Hey
people, before the squad is announced in the next two weeks, what will be your All Black team to play Ireland and Wales? I'll start.

1. Tony Woodcock: Despite not being in his best form this Super 14, Woodcock remains a class act and is an automatic selection still for me. Strong scrummager and good all around the field. He is also very experienced and has no real weaknesses. Wyatt Crockett seems to get penalised alot and despite being a good scrummager, I can't see him over taking Woodcock.
2. Kevin Mealamu: Mealamu has had a solid season and with Andrew Hore out of the equation for now, Kevin seems like another automatic selection for hooker. Jason Rutledge is another hooker who I think has had a strong season.
3. Owen Franks: Seems like the prop we want to develop for the Rugby World Cup with Carl Hayman wishing to play in France. Very good scrummager, good work rate and also is a solid tackler. Neemia Tialata has improved this season and needs to be in the 22 to cover both sides of the scrum, however I don't think he what the All Blacks need for the future.
4. Brad Thorn: Great work rate around the field, good lineout jumping and leads by example. Getting old now, but showing no signs out slowing down. Essentially with Donnelly and Ali Williams out, Brad is another easy pick into this series.
5. Sam Whitelock: A great find for the Crusaders, Whitelock has been solid in all areas of his game. I would add Chris Jack instead however he has really only just come back. In the mean time it is important we build on out locking ranks in the likely chance Ali William's career, at least for the RWC, is very sadly over.
6. Victor Vito: Been very good this Super 14 and has fixed up problems in his game. He has become a big hitter, good line out jumper and good scavenger. Add these to his amazing running game and 110kg build, I'd start him ahead of Jerome Kaino for this series.
7. Richie McCaw: Other than being a brilliant openside flanker and captain of the only NZ team this season to make it to the semi final, there is a more important reason why he is chosen. Because there is no one else good enough to play openside for the All Blacks until Daniel Braid returns. Latimer is fairly solid, if unspectacular and Scott Waldrom hasn't been starting regularly.
8. Kieren Ried: Been a very solid #8 and has been a good ball carrier. Really one of two options to pick from. Rodney So'oialo has been given a hard time lately and has in recent matches, found a bit of form. However he is somewhat a victim of his own high standards. He isn't carrying the ball like he used to and despite having a good work rate, hasn't managed to win back his spot in the #8 jersey. Victor Vito can cover #8 if it is required.
9. Alby Mathewson: Since moving from the Hurricanes to the Blues, Mathewson has been New Zealand's form halfback, scoring good tries out of very little and setting up tries for the highest try scoring team in New Zealand. Jimmie Cowan has been solid, and is definitely tried and tested as quality, however I believe he has become some-what predictable with his box kicking. With a new emphasis on running rugby, Cowan seems like the weakest link.
10. Daniel Carter: Not been on his greatest from at the moment however he is Dan Carter and no one else can fill his shoes. Donald and Cruden are the only other options and Donald has been very average in an All Black jersey and Cruden is too inexperienced to start.
11. Hosea Gear: Has scored alot considering he has been injured most of the season. His three try effort against the Reds showed what he can do when given a bit of space to work in. He has been a prolific try scorer the last two NPC seasons and has backed it with a good Super 14. For his efforts he deserves a chance to show what he can do in an All Black jersey, and not the 'last 10 minutes' type of chances he has been given in the past. With kicking and catching no longer the most important skill for a wing, Hosea is a must.
12. Benson Stanly: Had a great season for the Blues, and with Nonu, Delany and McAlister injured, he is really the only other option. Will be interesting to see how he goes, but there doesn't seem to be any real flaws to his game, and can produce some very big hits.
13. Conrad Smith: Great Tackler, good line runner, great passer, great defensive organiser etc etc... In my opinion he is the best centre in the world. I love the Hurricanes but I wish the Crusaders would take Conrad Smith so he can experience at least a little bit of success. Ranger and Toeava are the only other centres that could be selected.
14. Joe Rokocoko: My rigorous defence of both Gear and Rokocoko continues. You may argue he is not the Joe of old, however what was asked of him last season he has improved. He is now a lot more confident under the high ball. most importantly he is joint leading try scorer of the Super 14 with 9 tries this season, showing finishing really shouldn't be a problem. Zac Guildford is another option for wing.
15. Cory Jane: Seems to have been the stand out fullback this season. He has a great rugby mind and instincts and is both dangerous in attack and very solid in defence. He also has great ball handling skills, especially with the high ball. Mils has been solid, but has become a bit more quiet this year, especially with injury. Could do with some RnR till the Tri Nations.

16. Jason Rutledge: Has been a really work horse all season and has scored a few decent tries from the ruck. Good lineout thrower and has been better than Elliot and Flynn. Aled de Malmanche is no doubt a good prospect but until he gets his throws sorted out, he will have to miss out.
17. Neemia Tialata: Has worked hard on his fitness and is now coming back into form. He can cover both sides of the scrum which is his main advantage, however he doesn't seem like a good starting prop for the RWC.
18. Chris Jack: Has been solid since he has come back and adds a lot of experience to the squad. With all other decent options for lock injured, Jack seems like the only option, and it's a decent only option to have.
19. Jimmie Cowan: I slightly hesitated to pick Cowan. Since running rugby has been brought back to life, the days of constant box kicks I think is over. That being said he is still a very good player and fills the Highlanders quota. The only other option is Weepu who had a good game against the Reds but has otherwise been benched. The only other reason to pick Weepu is the goal kicking which has been good, and my 1st 5 option isn't a great kicker.
20. Aaron Cruden: Now people may be thinking he's too young and inexperienced to be picked for the AB's at this stage, and I agree. However he is still a better option than Steven Donald and has produced some real magic for the Hurricanes. Is a good player to develop in time for the RWC because if Carter gets injured at any stage before the RWC Final, then Steven Donald is his replacement and thus we are f*cked.
21. Mils Muliaina: I have been sneaky adding Mils in at number 21. I did this for my own agenda of keeping Rokocoko and Gear in the starting line up. That being said Isia Toeava would have the same effect, if Mils should be rested. The reason I pick Mils is that he can cover centre if need be, which means I don't need to waste a selection on a mid fielder and can have my last pick, which keeps Rokocoko and Gear in the side without too much worry.
22. Zac Guildford: He has been a very solid winger and can finish tries. He is also to New Zealand, what Tommy Bowe is to Ireland: An over rated messiah of rugby. No I'm not disputing he is good, however had Guildford been 26 years old and not received as much attention by the media, he would not be rated so highly. As it is he is a young talented prospect and he should be given some game time to work for a RWC spot.

Other players:
Wyatt Crockett
John Afoa
Aled de Malmanche
Anthony Boric
Jerome Kaino (probably needs to be in there as I haven't added a flanker to the reserves...)
Adam Thompson (^)
Peri Weepu
Steven Donald
Isia Toeava
Tim Nanai-Williams
Rene Ranger
Israel Dagg

Last edited:
Injuries to Sivivatu, Williams and Nonu seriously dent the competitiveness, or at least the credibility on paper, of this All Black team; not as intimidating as previous years. My picks, injuries considered;

1 Tony Woodcock
2 Kevan Mealamu (Hore when back)
3 Owen Franks (Pity about Heyman..)
4 Brad Thorne
5 Chris Jack (I was really looking forward to Ali's return at the start of the year..)
6 Adam Thompson (NZ forward I respect the most)
7 Richie McCaw
8 Victor Vito
9 Jimmy Cowan
10 Dan Carter
11 Hosea Gear (Sivivatu a better option when fit, though; twice the gamebreaker Gear is)
12 Stphen Brett (A great player but I wouldn't want him to make the decisions, yet - could thrive with Carter on his inside and making the decisions. Nonu when back.)
13 Conrad Smith (Experience and pure class.)
14 Rokocoko (Jane impressed last year but the game has changed. Again.)
15 Israel Dagg (This guy scares me.)

NZ has an embarrassment of riches out wide: Nanai-Williams, Masaga, Sivivatu, Muliaina, Toeava, Ranger to boot. But looking a little thin at lock, loose forward and halfbacks; injuries to frontline players in those positions would be a disaster though I suspect pride in the jersey would see the replacements make that step up. Good luck with the visitors from up North. At least you don't face France.

Last edited:
1)Tony Woodcock
His super 14 form has been very disappointing. Since he has been a rock for the All Blacks for so long you have to give him the benefit of the doubt, but if he has another bad game i want someone else to get a go at the starting jersey. I'd go for Ben Franks as Woodcocks understudy, hes very solid and an extremely hard worker. Crockett looks too much of a liability at this stage
2)Keven Mealamu
He has had a disappointing season by his standards, hes here by default but as with Woodcock i'm keen for someone else to get a go in this role. Hika Elliot would be my choice, hes a fierce and combative player, ever present around the field, hes got a few things to iron out but he looks a real talent. I'm a fan of Rutledge but hes a bit old, id prefer him over Corey Flynn though.
3)Owen Franks
Great footballer, he has all the skills and enthusiasm in the world, he just needs to work on his scrummaging a bit more. Right now he can hold his own scrum steady, but he really needs to put some work in to be a truly destructive scrummager. The propping stocking in world rugby are pretty average at the moment, having the best scrum in the world could be a realistic target for Franks and the All Blacks come 2011.
4)Brad Thorn
Amazing around the field and an automatic choice. His lineout skills are lacking however, he does whats asked of him but he will never really be a brilliant lineout exponent. This puts a lot of pressure on his partner as we saw in Isaac Ross.
5)Josh Bekhuis
He gets stuck in in the tight, has great skills in the loose and is close to the best lineout forward in the country when you take injuries into account, i cant see how he can miss out on selection. His skills in general play this year have been exceptional, he has the talent to take on the 5/6 role.
6)Jerome Kaino
Has just come off the Super 14 season of his life, he is extremely hard working and has all the skills, hes an automatic selection. His lineout prowess makes life easier for the locking department aswell. Im a huge fan of Vito, but his chances will have to come off the bench
7)Richie McCaw
Nobrainer. Although i dont really rate Latimer, i think the new rules suit him very well, he was never a great pilferer and that held him back, now there aren't too many steals anymore and Latimers style (Make a billion unspectacular tackles and link well with the backs) looks perfect. I wouldn't be worried about giving Latimer the 7 jersey for one of the games.
8)Kieran Read
Not a huge fan of Read, hes a bit to "Ruben Thorne-y" for my liking. He is a solid player though and will be the number 8 for the All Blacks this season, he wont dissapoint.
9)Jimmy Cowan
I agree that one of Cowans strengths in box kicking has been taken away somewhat and he has been kicking too much in the super 14, but to be fair he was playing with the Highlanders, their midfield is shocking. In the All Blacks setup under the new rules i dont think he would kick as much. The real reason why he has to be the All Black 9 though is his defence he is the best defensive halfback in the world, he could easily play flanker. The All Blacks need that presence defensively.
10)Dan Carter
Automatic, but find some form ffs.
11)Hosea Gear
I have always been a fan of Gear, his mix of pace and raw power is exceptional. Hes the best finisher around and it boggles the mind how Guildford was ever chosen over him.
12)Luke McAllister
He will only just be over his injury and hasnt shown any consistant form since coming home, but he is supremely talented and very classy when on song. Hopefully he finds some form in this series.
13)Conrad Smith
Automatic. Incredibly nice and down to earth bloke aswell.
14)Israel Dagg
One of the most talented prospects in NZ rugby, he cant be overlooked again this close to the WC. He has all the skills on attack, he defends well, he has a great tactical boot and is one of the best goal kickers in the country. It would be best for him to learn the ropes from the wing, but i would be tempted to try him out at first and second five over the next couple of years to see how he goes.
15)Corey Jane
Automatic. I would be tempted to swap him and Dagg for the later tests.

16)Hika Elliot
He has all the talent and could become a rock for NZ post 2011. I would also be tempted to keep working on De Malmance as a prop/hooker cover.
17)Ben Franks
As mentioned above, solid and hard working
18)Sam Whitelock
Although Chris Jack brings experience, he has been average since returning, and against the Welsh and Irish experience isn't needed. I say give Bekhuis and Whitelock a go at test level in june with Jack coming into the trinations 22.
19)Victor Vito
Brilliant footballer, i have a suspicion that he may be turned into a 6/7/8 player like Masoe. He has all the talent for it and it the perfect impact player off the bench in any position.
20)Alby Matthewson
He has had a great season and the new rules suit him. His pace off the bench could catch the Welsh and Irish by suprise aswell. I think that unless Cowan loses form dramatically he will be an impact bench halfback. Piri Weepu should be in the 27 man squad aswell given his talent and ability to cover 10.
21)Aaron Cruden
Cruden is nowhere near the finnished product but the All Blacks need a backup 10 and Cruden is the best option. I would bring him on and move Carter out to second or even play Cruden at 2nd 5 for this series.
22)Mills Muliaina
He has been very average. I only have him in the team for his experience and versatility. He is barely holding on to the ***le of 3rd best fullback in NZ in my opinion.

The rest of the squad

23)Jason Rutledge
24)Piri Weepu
25)Chris Jack
26)Adam Thompson
27)Joe Rokocoko

Possible bolters
Ben Smith
Has the trappings of a Conrad Smith style centre, the all blacks have shown they are interested in the guy already and they may pick him up again as a utility
Rene Ranger
Destructive, i think he may have the opportunity to play his way into the team with the Maori side
Kenny Lynn
This guy looks like the kind of player the coaching panel likes to pick up. Could be the "WTF" selection of the end of year tour.
Luke Braid
As far as raw talent goes, he is the best we have in 7s in NZ. Cant see it happening though
Andy Ellis
The coaches seem to think hes a good player. I dont follow.
Zac Guildford
Completely overrated. The coaching panel may look silly if the abandon him all of a sudden though

I must admit I havn't seen much of Josh Bekhuis, however do you rate him over Whitelock?

Israel Dagg on the wing over Rokocoko? I mean I'd say even to put him on the bench and give him the last 20 minutes of each game at fullback where he has played all season, but to not have Rokocoko on the wing seems like a shame. Also a combination of Rokocoko and Gear is mouth watering to me...so much speed...so much power!

1 Tony Woodcock
2 Kevan Mealamu
3 Owen Franks
4 Brad Thorne
5 Sam Whitelock
6 Jerome Kaino
7 Richie McCaw
8 Kieren Read
9 Tyson Keats
10 Aaron Cruden
11 Zac Guildford
12 Luke McAlister
13 Dan Carter
14 Ben Smith
15 Corey Jane

Oh yes I just said that

I must admit I havn't seen much of Josh Bekhuis, however do you rate him over Whitelock?

Israel Dagg on the wing over Rokocoko? I mean I'd say even to put him on the bench and give him the last 20 minutes of each game at fullback where he has played all season, but to not have Rokocoko on the wing seems like a shame. Also a combination of Rokocoko and Gear is mouth watering to me...so much speed...so much power!

I would say that its too close to call who is "better" between Whitelock and Bekhuis, like if it was a videogame i'd give them the exact same rating. I'd say Whitelocks work in the ruck and on defense is better, where as Bekhuis better on attack and in the lineout. I just think that the makeup of the team means that Bekhuis should edge it, but i'd be very happy with either.

And i think that Dagg is a versatile enough enough player that he could easily play on the wing, its not like Corey Jane had played a whole lot of wing before he was put there. Even Richard Kahui got a start on the wing for the All Blacks when he had never played there before. Dagg also stands in at first receiver very often for the Highlanders so i could see him clocking 20 or so minutes at first or second 5 aswell.

And im a massive fan of both Gear and Roks, but they are so similar that its one or the other for me. Having both wings doing the same thing and threatening the same way is asking for trouble, you need to mix it up a bit.
Raw speed and power in the 11 jersey. Agility, guile and work-rate in the 14. Think Gear and Ellison, Roks and Howlett, Lomu and Wilson etc.

1 Tony Woodcock
2 Kevan Mealamu
3 Owen Franks
4 Brad Thorne
5 Sam Whitelock
6 Jerome Kaino
7 Richie McCaw
8 Kieren Read
9 Tyson Keats
10 Aaron Cruden
11 Zac Guildford
12 Luke McAlister
13 Dan Carter
14 Ben Smith
15 Corey Jane

Oh yes I just said that

That, my friend, is an abomination.

1 Tony Woodcock
2 Kevan Mealamu
3 Owen Franks
4 Brad Thorne
5 Sam Whitelock
6 Jerome Kaino
7 Richie McCaw
8 Kieren Read
9 Tyson Keats
10 Aaron Cruden
11 Zac Guildford
12 Luke McAlister
13 Dan Carter
14 Ben Smith
15 Corey Jane

Oh yes I just said that
Wow...not like I can say your opinions are wrong or anything...but very strange selections.

Carter > Smith @13?
Cruden > Carter @10?
Smith > Anyother starting winger in the S14@14?
Keats > Mathewson/Cowan @9?

I'd be interested in seeing how you decided this team, it's certainly different from most people's XV...

I'd probably make one change to that side actually,

1 Tony Woodcock
2 Kevan Mealamu
3 Owen Franks
4 Brad Thorne
5 Sam Whitelock
6 Jerome Kaino
7 Richie McCaw
8 Kieren Read
9 Tyson Keats
10 Aaron Cruden/Israel Dagg
11 Zac Guildford
12 Luke McAlister
13 Dan Carter
14 Ben Smith
15 Corey Jane

Forward pack is mostly obvious, blood some new players etc. Dan Carter at 13....He has a sublime running game and from 13 could turn a game on its head. Ben Smith is solid and looks the goods at test level imo. Aaron Cruden will succeed at this level mark my words, throw him in the deep end and he will swim. Israel Dagg would have the X factor for 10, plus every skill needed. Tyson Keats is just a fan favorite, plus he has got talent.

Last edited:

1 Tony Woodcock
2 Kevan Mealamu
3 Owen Franks
4 Brad Thorne
5 Sam Whitelock
6 Jerome Kaino
7 Richie McCaw
8 Kieren Read
9 Tyson Keats
11 Zac Guildford
12 Luke McAlister
13 Dan Carter
14 Ben Smith
15 Corey Jane

Forward pack is mostly obvious, blood some new players etc. Dan Carter at 13....He has a sublime running game and from 13 could turn a game on its head. Ben Smith is solid and looks the goods at test level imo. Aaron Cruden will succeed at this level mark my words, throw him in the deep end and he will swim. Israel Dagg would have the X factor for 10, plus every skill needed. Tyson Keats is just a fan favorite, plus he has got talent.

Are you having a laugh? is he having a laugh?

1 Tony Woodcock
2 Kevan Mealamu
3 Owen Franks
4 Brad Thorne
5 Sam Whitelock
6 Jerome Kaino
7 Richie McCaw
8 Kieren Read
9 Tyson Keats
11 Zac Guildford
12 Luke McAlister
13 Dan Carter
14 Ben Smith
15 Corey Jane

Sure, problems with your backline however -

9. Tyson Keats is not the best Halfback in New Zealand.
10. Aaron Cruden is a talented 1st 5, however if you throw a 75kg, 21 year old in an international game, after one season of Super 14, and start him above the best Fly Half of arguably all time, then you have to have a very good reason...You don't. What would be the rush to play him when you can condition him to be another great 1st 5. Dan Carter played second fiddle to Mehrtens for several years and then turned into a brilliant player, don't rush. Dagg is not a 1st 5, he's a fullback. Put him against Ireland or Wales at Fly Half and we'll lose. That simple.
11. Zac Guildford is a solid selection. I'm not his biggest fan but no doubt he is other peoples.
12. Luke McAlister will have just recovered from injury with only one game from the S14...He may be the only option however if you wanted to bleed new players into a position, 2nd 5 is really the position to do it.
13. Dan Carter is a 1st 5, not a centre. Yes he is a very good runner, but he's also one of the best kickers in the world and controls a game better than anyone, he'd be wasted at 1st 5. Conrad Smith has had an amazing season at Centre, why change what is not broken? Also, why have a 1st five, second five and centre who can kick?
14. Ben Smith has been very average. Scored 1 very easy try against the Baabaa's is not what I'd call 'looks the goods at test level'. He's touched the ball 5 times and dropped it the first time. He's not fast enough and has scored few tries this year (not to mention played a lot of the season at fullback and centre). Can't see how you can justify picking him at 14 over Rokocoko who is the leading S14 try scorer.
15. Cory Jane...Yeah, fair enough. Though now that you've selected him with your other choices, I'm starting to have second thoughts :p

Last edited:
Yeah and Im a first 5 yet i've been played at no.8, wing, second 5, center and fullback.....just because you play one position doesnt mean you cant play another.

Yeah and Im a first 5 yet i've been played at no.8, wing, second 5, center and fullback.....just because you play one position doesnt mean you cant play another.

You can play another position, but this isn't a lower league team, this is the All Blacks.

Dumb comment. Your playing amature rugby for a club. The All Blacks are playing two of the top ten teams in the world. I'm not even disputing you can't play more then one position. I'm saying that if you have played as a fullback for your first two seasons of Super 14, and then change to a more unfamiliar position for an international test match, you're not going to be as effective as people who have played with great success that position over several seasons.

You win the most ridiculous comparison of the day award!!!

Congratulations!!

Well thats one award covered, time to get myself an agent and get into an acamedy and be a bigger ass than versus, anyone know the name of the agent of someone controversial in the US? lol Yeah I was having a laugh, gotta take the **** every now and again.

Ok, then now that wee saga is completed (or is it?) I'll post who I think they should pick. Much will depend on how the likes of Muliana, MacAlister, Toeava, Donnolly, and Corey Flynn recover from their injuries - by all accounts all of these players should be available for this series with the exception of Toeava who looks doubtful. I'm assuming that they will pick a 26 man squad (as they always seem to at this time of year) - the only players I'm ruled out are Sivivatu, Williams, Hore, and Toeava.

Woodcock (despite his lack of form - he will need to show some form if he wants to keep this spot though)
Mealamu
Owen Franks (I think the AB selectors will pick Tialata though)
Thorn
Donnelly (if fit - otherwise Boric)
Kaino
McCaw
Read
Mathewson (I'm sure Cowan will start, I just think with the new rules interpretations a halfback like Mathewson would be more valuable)
Carter
Guilford (wing is one area where i'm really undecided - I'm not a huge fan of Guilford, but he was outstanding last week -for me there is very little between Guilford, Rococoko, Hosea Gear, Ben Smith, and Rudi Wulf, with Sean Maitland not far behind)
MacAlister (Would actually prefer Toeava if fit, with MacAlister on the bench. Back-up first-five and Goalkicker)
Smith
Jane (would be the first outside back I'd select - when he breaks the line it is almost a certain try, as he has an amazing ability to set up his support players)
Muliana (Not at his best through most of last season (and injured much of this season), but was class against France at the end last year. He has been among the best fullbacks in the world for the last 5 years so I wouldn't rule him out just yet.

Bench
Flynn (if fit. Getting better with age - was the standout player for the AB's against Italy last year - I just wish if he could stay fit for more than a few games! If he's not fit I'm not sure who I'd select. Rutledge has played well, and I don't think his age will count against him give the world cup is just over a year away, and in any case it seems that hookers (at least in NZ) are peaking in there last twenties/early thirties. Elliot has the most potential, while de Malmanche needs to learn how to throw. An interesting option could be to groom Afoa as a hooker (as he played there at times for the Blues this year), though I don't think international rugby is the best place to learn a new position!
Tialata (Probably one of his best super 14 seasons, often played full games suggesting his fitness levels are very high)
Boric (looks good at this level. I really rate Sam Whitelock, so would be more than happy if he made it!)
Thomson (or Vito - 50/50 call for me)
Cowan
Stanley (With Toeava and Nonu we need someone to backup MacAlister, who will probably injure himself during the game. Good solid player, with the ability to put on big hits as well)
Rococoko (his best super 14 season ever)

Rest of squad:
Ben Franks (great season has put him ahead of both Afoa and Crockett in my mind)
Vito
Slade (Donalds been proven to not be up to this level (though I suspect he may still be picked). I'm yet convinced by Brett, though I think he has had a good season and could be an option (if he learns how to tackle). Cruden, despite the hype, has done nothing this year that has said to me "I'm ready to play test rugby" - he takes the ball well to the line, but I'm still yet to see him control a game. Slade has played most of the season at fullback (with Carter at 10 he was never going to get many starts there!), but I think he has all the tools to be a good test first-five.
Ben Smith (Had another good season with the Highlanders. Fullback definitely is his best position, but he looked really good when he played centre (which was only in one game, not most of the season as someone suggested). He has a incredible work-rate - he spent most of the season cleaning up the mistakes made by the rest of the Highlanders backs! I've omitted both Hosea Gear (who I'm not convinced does enough when he doesn't have the ball), and Dagg (who despite being very talented, is still very error prone). I would actually consider Rudi Wulf, who have been very impressive in recent weeks for the Blues.

There we go. I'm expecting to be thoroughly lambasted for not including the likes of Hosea Gear, Israel Dagg, and Aaron Cruden :)

Dagg is not a 1st 5, he's a fullback. Put him against Ireland or Wales at Fly Half and we'll lose. That simple.

Yes please! Grahem Henry, please pick him at 10.

From what I've seen of him in the S14, I have ben fairly impressed with him at 15, but wasn't aware he could play 10. He doesn't look the right sort of player.

Yes please! Grahem Henry, please pick him at 10.

From what I've seen of him in the S14, I have ben fairly impressed with him at 15, but wasn't aware he could play 10. He doesn't look the right sort of player.

If you watch the Highlanders closely, you would see that Dagg stands in at first reciever more than the first five does on attack, and covers the fullback spot on defense. He has pretty much been playing flyhalf all year.
That said i know its still a bit of a leap for him, but its only the welsh and irish after all we can afford a few risks

Latest posts