• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Your Best player since the new decade

Big Ewis

Hall of Fame
Country Flag
France
Club or Nation
Toulon
Who's the best player to have come onto the scene, from your respective nation, during/after 2010 ? He can be a guy who came in around 2010, or he can be a brand new addition from 2014.
(this is basically "your best player since the last RWC", but let's just add the one year..).

This year, (I'll just do this year), I'd have to say the Irish player I'm most excited about is Stuart Olding. He just seems to have it all. He's the great hope of our time. Bless the Wunderkind.

This year, (I'll just do this year), I'd have to say the Irish player I'm most excited about is Stuart Olding. He just seems to have it all. He's the great hope of our time. Bless the Wunderkind.

I agree, although I think McCloskey is probably ahead of him right now for the 12 shirt. Him 12 Olding 13 would be very interesting!

I can't wait for
9. McGrath
10. Madigan, the mature 10 who's got it all.
11. Zebo, finally sorts himself out and is a consistent supplier of brilliance.
12. Hanrahan, Northampton's and Ireland's finest.
13. Henshaw, Connacht's greatest ever person and soon to be named President and owner of all sheep
14. Fanj, the rise never stops he's like a ginger love child of BOD, Carter, Lomu and Savea
15. Olding, milky bar weren't happy with the face of their company being shoved into the backfield but changes were necessary.

Launchbury. It's not even negotiable. :p Would have probably been difficult had Corbs stayed injury-free and as good as he was two years ago though.

Second is much more difficult. Morgan, Tuilagi or Corbisiero would be my picks.

Players who have really broke out are
Cruden (Come on leaps and bounds since the last RWC)
Fofana (wasn't even known and is now the best 12 in the world)
Du Plessis (Best hooker In the world)
Robshaw (Had only one cap and is now England captain)

Argentina: Tomas Lavanini, Nico Sanchez and Joaquin Tuculet.

Australia: Michael Hooper, Israel Folau & Tevita Kuridrani

NZ: Brodie Retallick, Aaron Smith and Julian Savea

SA: Duane Vermeulen, Eben Etzebeth & Willie le Roux

England: Chris Robshaw

Wales: George North

Scotland: Stuart Hogg

France: Wesley Fofana & Teddy Thomas

Last edited:
Is this for country specifically? I mean a guy like Vermeulen has only been a Bok since post 2011 but he was around playing some brilliant rugby for the WP and Free State before that. My vote at this stage would be Vermeulen.

I almost feel though we've had one each year (though Le Roux is very much suffering 2nd year syndrome); 2012 I'd have said Etzebeth, 2013 Le Roux, 2014 Vermeulen with Pollard coming on the scene but tentatively still.

Others who have been curtailed by long terms injuries; Arno Botha was immense his debut, Pieter-Steph du Toit we're still waiting on,Frans Malherbe as first choice tight head is 4 for 4 but can't seem to stay injury free. Reinach quite new still and Serfontein and Hendricks have both had their moments as well. We actually have quite a post-2011 looking team or we could have if everyone were fit (Malherbe in for JdP and PSdT in for Matfield specifically).

For Wales i'd say it's between North, Warburton and Tipuric.

Warbutron was around before 2011, but since and including the world cup i think when he's fit he's unplayable and i've never seen him play a bad game regardless.

My favourite for England, Joe Launchbury

My favourite globally, Nico Sanchez

I'd say from New Zealand it'd have to be Kieran Read. He came on the scene in the November internationals in 2008 - and played quite a bit of 2009 but sharing a spot with So'oialo. Since 2010 he has become the automatic selection and probably NZ's most important player.

For France, there's almost nobody sticking around from 2010 but I'd say, considering current form, Clermont fly-half Camille Lopez. He had an almost blank season at Perpignan last year and he's now back to this impressive old self from his UBB times, pushing Brock James on the bench at Clermont. Brings some much more to the game than the stereotypical Talès and is a complete player: creative ball in hand, good tactical kicking, efficient goalscoring and very solid in defense.

Yeah I'd back Robshaw if we can consider him a 'new' player for England.

In terms of guys who have come onto the scene completely since 2010, Launchbury for England and Savea for rest of the world.

For Scotland I think its obvious that Stuart Hogg has been Scotland's best player since after the world cup. But globally there's a few I really liked watching, players like Willie Le Roux who I think is really impressive since is debut for South Africa, Simon Zebo was impressive too on his debut. But for me the best player who came up since 2010 is Brodie Retallick.

For France, there's almost nobody sticking around from 2010 but I'd say, considering current form, Clermont fly-half Camille Lopez. He had an almost blank season at Perpignan last year and he's now back to this impressive old self from his UBB times, pushing Brock James on the bench at Clermont. Brings some much more to the game than the stereotypical Talès and is a complete player: creative ball in hand, good tactical kicking, efficient goalscoring and very solid in defense.

welcome !
For me it's obviously Wesley Fofana. His natural ability on a Rugby field is just abnormal, and with the work he's put in, he's one of the best Rugby players of this decade altogether. Unfortunately, he like many suffers from being a guy who first appeared under the worst coaching staff in major Tier 1 Rugby history.

A guy who hasn't been capped much (just the last June tour, some minutes) but who's just incredible is Rémi Lamerat. When he gets traded away from small market Castres and integrates a big team, he's going to be all over Rugbydump, YouTube, etc...: offloads, hard running, playing through contact, real no.12 playmaking, consistent spot-on no look passes, sound defense, huge heart and then just his physicality, he smashes through anything he sees and needs 2 guys to put down quasi-always.

For Canada it has to be Jeff Hassler. The kid has quickly become our best winger, a starter for Ospreys and a top back in the Pro 12 in just a couple years. If only we had more players like him right now.

welcome !
For me it's obviously Wesley Fofana. His natural ability on a Rugby field is just abnormal, and with the work he's put in, he's one of the best Rugby players of this decade altogether. Unfortunately, he like many suffers from being a guy who first appeared under the worst coaching staff in major Tier 1 Rugby history.

A guy who hasn't been capped much (just the last June tour, some minutes) but who's just incredible is Rémi Lamerat. When he gets traded away from small market Castres and integrates a big team, he's going to be all over Rugbydump, YouTube, etc...: offloads, hard running, playing through contact, real no.12 playmaking, consistent spot-on no look passes, sound defense, huge heart and then just his physicality, he smashes through anything he sees and needs 2 guys to put down quasi-always.

Thank you!
There's no doubt that Fofana has been a beast of a man in recent times but it seems to me that 2014 has been kind of a quiet year for him, compared to his outstanding 2013 season. Lopez could be the no.10 French rugby has been longing for for years, a modern impersonation of French Flair (Trinh-Duc would have been that player, if not for Saint-André's absurd stubbornness not to pick him).
I agree about Lamerat, he really is a solid no.12, he would be probably be a French team-regular without the two terrible injuries that kept him sidelined for two seasons as he was still developping as a player.
The center position though is one of France's deepest and with Fofana firmly established as an indisputable starter there are five or six quality players fighting for one spot: Bastareaud, Lamerat, Mermoz, Fickou, Dumoulin, Fritz... It's tough to get in.

Fofana's work has been a lot more subtle lately, he can't score Twickenham tries every 2 test matches (although his one against Italy wasn't too shabby this year..). His defense, attention to detail and growth as a Rugby player has been interesting and he'll only get better.
As it's been discussed here though:
http://www.therugbyforum.com/threads/34641-2015-Six-Nations-France?p=698122#post698122

Fofana acts as a 13 when in bleu. So we really need either Mermoz or Dumoulin playing the other center spot. Fritz+Fofana and Basta off the bench worked very well in the physicality department, super heavy hits on defense, good line breakers on attack...but the movement was near dead. With PSA and Lagisquet, our backs don't get help before the game, we need a natural passer. But let's continue this on that thread I just posted.

Beauden Barrett
Aaron Smith
Ben Smith?
SBW
Brodie Retallick
Kieran Read
Michael Hooper
Malakai Fekitoa

Last edited:

Latest posts