• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

your country's 31 man squad for the 2023 World Cup

and?
I don't pick players based on club.

Only really Maunder would be someone I would pick ATM.
Cowan-Dickie and Slade i'm mmmmmm on.

The entire Barrett family tree through past and present.

Reckon Beaudy will still have his wheels at 32?

Dont forget he's also coming to the Blues from next year. And if anyone can shaft a career a career, its us.

South Africa

1) Steven Kitshoff, Lizo Gqoboca (or Ox Nche)
2) Malcolm Marx, Bongi Mbonambi, Joseph Dweba
3) Frans Malherbe, Vincent Koch, Thomas du Toit
4) Eben Etzebeth, RG Snyman
5) Lood de Jager, JJ Van der Mescht
6) Marcell Coetzee, Marco van Staden
7) Pieter-Steph du Toit, Jean-Luc du Preez
8) Siya Kolisi (c)
9) Faf de Klerk, Cobus Reinach, Herschell Jantjies
10) Handre Pollard, Curwin Bosch
11) Aphiwe Dyantyi
12) Jan Serfontein, Damian de Allende
13) Lukhanyo Am, Jesse Kriel
14) Cheslin Kolbe, Sbusiso Nkosi
15) Damian Willemse, Warrick Gelant

17 Forwards and 14 Backs

My assumption was anyone 30 or older now gets the cut. Mapimpi is the exception being 29 now. I just felt 33 is too old for a winger.

South Africa

1) Steven Kitshoff, Lizo Gqoboca (or Ox Nche)
2) Malcolm Marx, Bongi Mbonambi, Joseph Dweba
3) Frans Malherbe, Vincent Koch, Thomas du Toit
4) Eben Etzebeth, RG Snyman
5) Lood de Jager, JJ Van der Mescht
6) Marcell Coetzee, Marco van Staden
7) Pieter-Steph du Toit, Jean-Luc du Preez
8) Siya Kolisi (c)
9) Faf de Klerk, Cobus Reinach, Herschell Jantjies
10) Handre Pollard, Curwin Bosch
11) Aphiwe Dyantyi
12) Jan Serfontein, Damian de Allende
13) Lukhanyo Am, Jesse Kriel
14) Cheslin Kolbe, Sbusiso Nkosi
15) Damian Willemse, Warrick Gelant

17 Forwards and 14 Backs

My assumption was anyone 30 or older now gets the cut. Mapimpi is the exception being 29 now. I just felt 33 is too old for a winger.

I think it's safe to say that this will be the core group. But I have an idea there will be a couple of other guys also involved by the time we go to the World Cup.

I think we have a few guys that were part of the U/20 squad this year, apart from van der Mescht that should also be a consideration. Like Francke Horn, James Mollentze, Sanele Nohamba, Rikus Pretorius & Elrich Louw.

I think it's safe to say that this will be the core group. But I have an idea there will be a couple of other guys also involved by the time we go to the World Cup.

I think we have a few guys that were part of the U/20 squad this year, apart from van der Mescht that should also be a consideration. Like Francke Horn, James Mollentze, Sanele Nohamba, Rikus Pretorius & Elrich Louw.

Of course injury will probably also be a consideration. All of Dyantyi, Coetzee, Serfontein and Nyakane would've featured this RWC if not for injury (and the doping cloud over Dyantyi o_O) and I'm probably forgetting a player or two as I remember it was definately more than the 4.

Of course injury will probably also be a consideration. All of Dyantyi, Coetzee, Serfontein and Nyakane would've featured this RWC if not for injury (and the doping cloud over Dyantyi o_O) and I'm probably forgetting a player or two as I remember it was definately more than the 4.

Yeah, you are forgetting the rest of the guys that were on the standby list:

Andre Esterhuizen
Rynhard Elstadt
Marvin Orie
Dillyn Leyds
Scarra Ntubeni

I see there is a lot of Stormers in that squad as starters:

1 Kitshoff
2 Mbonambi
3 Malherbe / Louw
4 Etzebeth

5 JD Schickerling
6 Kolisi
7 PSDT

8 Juarno Augustus / Notshe / Johan du Toit
9 Jantjies
10 Josh Stander
11 Seabelo Senatla
12 De Allende
13 SP Marais
14 Dillon Leyds
15 Willemse

My question would be how can the Bokke take out a RWC but us Stormers can't get any luck at SR. We even had Rassie as director of Rugby and relatively recently had all of Vermeulen, Flouw, Elstadt and Kolbe. Leyds, Ntubeni, Notshe and Wilco Louw are also fringe Bokke and Augustus has a lot of potential. Must be the holiday culture of Cape Town and surrounds as culture is all we have different from the Bokke I can think of relative to the level of competition.

1. Thomas Du Toit
2. Marx
3. Ox Nche
4.Etzebeth
5. PSdT (Yes, I will make him a lock again)
6. Marcel Coetzee
7. Jean Luc du Preez
8. Dan du Preez
9. Faf/ Jantjies
10. Pollard (We play him until he is 35)
11. Nkosi
12. Serfontein
13. Kriel
14. Kolbe
15. Fassi

Notable mentions of guys who can make up the 23 or who might be in an out of the squad
Curwin Bosch
Damian Willemse
Van der Mesch
Juarno Augustus
Frans Steyn
Muller du Plessis
Werner Kok
Lood de Jager
RG Snyman
Jaco Coetzee (Watch this space guys, this guy is the real deal)
Chris van Zyl

The thing is though that many people said we are actually building for 2023 so we really should keep faith in most players of 2019 provided that they stay on form and don't retire. The young guns can challenge them and keep up the high levels.

Barring some amazing find next year, I would like it if some of our experienced guys like the Vermeulens, Steyns, Mtawariras of the world stay in the squad atleast until the Lions tour

I'll just concentrate on young players I see regularly at saints.
9.Mitchell ex England under 20s had a sniff at senior Level possible a contender out with Injury at present.
10. Grayson runs and kicks well behind obviously Ford Farrell Smith so will need a mega season .
13.Dingwall Liking the look of this lad however saints strong in centres wonder if he gets a decent run as will be behind Francis, Proctor Symonds Hutchinson.
14.Slightholme quick as a young type of Jonny May needs a bit of improvement on defense at Prem level but only 21.
15.Furbank bit of a bolter out of academy Boyd is making him a player.
Mallinder really worried he wont have a position to make is own needs a big season when returns from injury.
3.Painter needs to get fitter at Prem level to Judge if can move on.
Hill great for a few minutes then anonymous for periods.
Coles 2nd row also can play 6 WIP but hopefully he will be the next Courts.
Ludlum all ready there but alot of good young Flankers around.
Nice to see a load of Saints coming through Academy and given a chance by Boyd and alot grabbing it.

31 is a too small number for a long tournament (max 7 games). The number of squad should be 46 (plus unlimited number of injury subs).

31 is a too small number for a long tournament (max 7 games). The number of squad should be 46 (plus unlimited number of injury subs).
The reasons behind this ? this only undermines countries without depth and helps the top nations.

1. Genge, Obano
2. Singleton, George, Barbeary
3. Sinckler, Heyes, Stuart
4. Itoje, Ribbans
5. Kruis, Isiewke,
6. Hill, Willis
7. Underhill, Curry
8. Vunipola, Dombrandt
9. Spencer, Mitchell,
10. Ford, Farrell
11. Cokanasiga,
12. Lawarence (mainly 13 but so what!!)