• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

your country's 31 man squad for the 2023 World Cup

He's genuinely the worst defender I've ever seen.
I mean he's probably improved since I last watched him for Saints (a while ago tbf) but when he first started playing senior rugby he actively avoided any contact, flinging wild passes over his head to avoid getting tackled and straight up not trying to tackle people in defence.
For all the stick Cipriani/O'Gara etc. get, at least they were speed bumps rather than matadors.

That sort of reputation is hard to shake when you've been hyped so massively from the age grade sides.

For someone who is 6ft 5 and 17st he's a bit of a wimp

A good analysis of why he is a joke here followed by 1 sentence that sums him up perfectly.

If he does sort his defence out/find his courage :), he could be a great player and in fairness i have seen him do some good stuff in attack(not defence) that shows at least in that department he isnt all hype. But until he proves different he will be the TRF joke with that face you want to punch :p

He's genuinely the worst defender I've ever seen.
I mean he's probably improved since I last watched him for Saints (a while ago tbf) but when he first started playing senior rugby he actively avoided any contact, flinging wild passes over his head to avoid getting tackled and straight up not trying to tackle people in defence.
For all the stick Cipriani/O'Gara etc. get, at least they were speed bumps rather than matadors.

That sort of reputation is hard to shake when you've been hyped so massively from the age grade sides.
Ah ok, fair enough. So he's got some work ons then?! :rolleyes:

I would rather see rugby expand than become a 16 nation shoot out.
I respect your opinion but don't agree.
Larger squads only suit the big rugby nations.
Any team can replace a player when injured as happened during world cup.
31 is fine and coaches players organising bodies are happy , can you not except this?
Not a fan of making things even harder for Tier 2 but there was a genuine push post 2015 for larger squads, in the end World Rugby offered extra spots but at the cost of reduced backroom staff, obviously they were turned down.

Slade 25 LCD 26 nowell 26. All could be there.

Nowell is probably my favourite player, but given his much reported lack of pace and mounting injuries, it's hard to see him getting there as a 30 year old winger. Maybe as a flanker?!? ;) I can't see LCD improving much, but four years isn't all that long for two younger players to overtake him in the pecking order, so every chance. Assuming he stays fit, Slade should be every bit as good, if not better by 2023 and given his utility appeal, it's hard to imagine enough players overtaking him in order for him to miss out.

The more interesting question is what up and comers there could be. With Nic White on his way, does Maunder have a chance? How is Marcus Street developing? Anyone else?

4 years is a long time. Has anyone started a thread for a 6N team yet? How much will the England squad change.
I can see Genge having to step up to keep Mako improving, Williams in for Cole, as well as another ball carrying option if we are keeping Cunderhill, to put pressure on Billy, my option would be Dombrandt.
The backs would love to see the SH change completely with Spencer and Robson in. The inside backs are good combinations apart from Francis out for Devoto if fit and like to see Marchant have a chance. Back 3 is fairly settled but love to see Watson at FB, with Daly on wing, with competition from Norwell. Other wing May and Big Joe.

yeah...because thats how a sport grows...hamstring the emerging countries
Rugby is less sustainable as professional sport than Soccer, because the number of games is smaller than Soccer for the reason that Rugby is more physically demanding.
The solution to this is increasing the number of squad, and unlimited substitution to make playing 2 games in a week possible.

Rugby is less sustainable as professional sport than Soccer, because the number of games is smaller than Soccer for the reason that Rugby is more physically demanding.
The solution to this is increasing the number of squad, and unlimited substitution to make playing 2 games in a week possible.
no its not

Increase squad isnt fair for the tier 2 nations who cant put out a second and even third team like england could. Unlimited subs wouldnt work i dont want to see that at all.

Latest posts