• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Your country's game plan for the World Cup

I agree on those highlighted players (and of course FdP as I mentioned in my post) but will they / should they start ahead of Pienaar, Pollard and Le Roux who have been the encumbants under Meyer? I am leaning towards, yes, it'd be better to have the better kickers in for the knock-out rounds but we can only speculate on what Meyer's considerations might be and his selections the last 2 years point towards Pienaar/Pollard/Le Roux.

Our pack is good enough. We've been missing (on and off or for the entire period in the case of Alberts and PSdT) all of Etzebeth, PSdT, Alberts, Louw and Vermeulen for long periods of time while both Du Plessis brothers have been in terrible form until just now. We've effectively played with no more than 50% of our 1st choice pack for 2 years now and then there's been form issues as well. They are all in line for starts now along with FdP. Literally, our stars are aligning. The only question is will the get up to speed in time for the kock-out rounds (I think its a reasonable assumption we'll get there).

Yeah we have 4 pool games before the knockouts. It's more than enough time time to play yourself into form. and I don't care if some of the guys haven't played a single match all year. Those guys were selected because they are world class, their from will come. I think HM approach to "cottonwooling" certain players will pay off.

As for gameplay. I think we are going to play a bit different than what was seen this past year from the Bokke. I think it's going to be a hybrid of traditional Bok rugby and the newer version that we play. The key is going to be the execution, and I think with our stalwarts there, we will be a new breed of monster.

not often that you can say that out of the home nations, England will be looking to play the most expansive rugby. Ironically probably with Scotland in 2nd place and Wales near the bottom of expansive'ness'. Oh how the times change!

I tend to disagree a bit with you here.

Fourie Du Preez, Rudy Paige, Morne Steyn, Pat Lambie and Zane Kirchner are all pretty good with regard to tactical kicking.
As for our pack, yes, we're not as monstrous as we once were, but we sure as hell will be one of the fittest and we are still big.

This post just reminded me Rudy Paige and Zane Kirchner are with the team.

If Steyn and Kirchner are starting over Pollard/Lambie and Le Roux, I will stop watching the World Cup.

New Zealand haven't played Ireland recently though. The first year of Schmidt's rein was reasonably enterprising, but losing their functioning centre pairing made Ireland pretty darn negative, and they've barely adjusted their game plan all year after. Maybe Henshaw and Payne are finally ready to start playing rugby, but I'm not holding my breath.

Hmm, interesting insight. will be interesting to see what they do in this WC.

I imagine most of the Hong Kong players plan is to watch from their respective sofas. Brilliant.

France:

Up front: Give the ball to Picamoles
Back: Pass it twice to Bastareaud/Fofana -for a good old crash ball- and then have Tillous-Borde box-kicking the ball 20m forward.

I'm not even being sarcastic, sadly, I just don't see much more to our game. England at SDF was our only dominant game (for 70 mins...) in four years and Scotland yesterday (against an oppen who isn't, as 2 weeks ago, playing its worst rugby since 2011) proved that we really haven't miraculously progressed from a team in shambles to a cohesive team with comprehensive game plan. I haven't seen France's backs play a ambitious combination in ages - as England's one that led to their 2nd try at Twickenham.

They've picked a physical team for confrontational rugby. Nothing else. They're not even interested trying anything else.

They have picked 2 kicking fly-halves past their sell-by dates. Parra can boss the game and make the right decision. That's why he's been benched.
The staff have been going on for 4 yrs about 'gagner les duels': beating your marker - this comes back in virtually every press conf or internview. I have never heard so much obsession with individuality in a sport where the collective always comes first.

The individual and collective solutions have been staring at them in the face for 4 yrs. It's not like we don't have the players or competitive club combos.

The creative backs are surplus to requirement. There is no game plan to accommodate them. The game plan is so restrictive that having them on makes little difference.

This post just reminded me Rudy Paige and Zane Kirchner are with the team.

If Steyn and Kirchner are starting over Pollard/Lambie and Le Roux, I will stop watching the World Cup.

Why?? Both Steyn and Kirchner are used to the NH playing conditions, and both of them knows how to kill off a game. I wouldn't mind at all if they play. Especially with Willie's shocking defense lately.

Why?? Both Steyn and Kirchner are used to the NH playing conditions, and both of them knows how to kill off a game. I wouldn't mind at all if they play. Especially with Willie's shocking defense lately.

I can answer that. Kirchner and Steyn do know how to kill a game off - and it's by nullifying any attacking opportunities for their own team.

I hear people complain about Le Roux's defense...he tackled at 95.7% in Super Rugby (so missed one tackle all season). Yes he had a shocking Rugby Championship defense wise - but it's not like he can't defend. I'd take him every day of the week for South Africa.

Also: being used to playing in NH conditions in the case of Kirchner doesn't mean much - he's hardly been brilliant for Leinster..

I can answer that. Kirchner and Steyn do know how to kill a game off - and it's by nullifying any attacking opportunities for their own team.

I hear people complain about Le Roux's defense...he tackled at 95.7% in Super Rugby (so missed one tackle all season). Yes he had a shocking Rugby Championship defense wise - but it's not like he can't defend. I'd take him every day of the week for South Africa.

Also: being used to playing in NH conditions in the case of Kirchner doesn't mean much - he's hardly been brilliant for Leinster..

If it's going to rain like cats and dogs, I'd pick Morne Steyn and Kirchner the whole time. Kicking at goal and fielding up-and-unders are their strength.

We have the pack to generate and keep hold of posession, get a head of steam going and we now have the backs to finish things off (young though they are). Why not use them?

We have the pack to generate and keep hold of posession, get a head of steam going and we now have the backs to finish things off (young though they are). Why not use them?

In a QF, SF or Final you should take the points on offer. We tried the kick for touch way too much without success this past 2 years.

I thought the French team would be the hardest - it's basically impossible to see a sensible game plan most of the time. I guess you'll hope to smash most side at scrumtime.

It's dead simple. They're playing 10-man rugby.

That's how Biarritz played under Lagisquet when they won the league. They played with a big pack and a brilliant SH (Yachvili). That's all he knows.

Meyer likes a kicking game. Too bad our current halves and 15 are near useless at tactical kicking. So I guess our game plan can be called Is-Fourie-du-Preez-fit?

Our main strength will probably be a monster pack which we havn't had for 1 1/2 years now but with everyone set to be fit again we might come back from our horror run to push for a ***le.. I hope.

TBF between Pollard, De Allende, Kriel and Le Roux we can stretch defenses ball in hand but all of them have some way to go still to be called 'complete' players; which sadly is what you need for a RWC.
Its strange that England and SA, who both it has to be said typically rely on forward dominance, have got two of the most exciting back lines at the WC.

I actually think SA are dark horses if they can keep composed when the pressure is on.

Its strange that England and SA, who both it has to be said typically rely on forward dominance, have got two of the most exciting back lines at the WC.

I actually think SA are dark horses if they can keep composed when the pressure is on.

Australia, New-Zealand and Argentina have exciting backlines too... SA's backline is certainly talented but is it as exciting as England's? England features a backline of creative and electric players (Joseph, Watson, May) and have picked a very atypical 10 in Ford, whose physicality is really underwhelming. Slade also can dynamite a backline, Cipriani could too.
France, meanwhile, are the most boring of all (despite top talent!).

Kick... Chase... Tackle... Ruck... Intensity... Repeat.

As a (legendary... well, within our club) manager once said to us when we were getting ready for a clash of the ***ans (our 3rds versus Bryansford 2nds I think in the Down reserve championship) when I was about 16.

Once ye get 'er, KICK 'ER!*

[Joe is saying to the lads "and if that doesn't work, next time ye get 'er, KICK 'er HARDER!!"]

*the rest of the speech being:

*Points at one wing* "The goals aren't that way!", *points at the other wing* "or that way!" *points at the posts* "they're that way!!!" "None of this fancy hand-passing, kick 'er straight in to the full faward line!!"

Inspirational stuff of course.
Ahhh, a bygone era, where you were seen as some sort of tactical f_c*in witch doctor when you decided to play a 2 man full forward line and pull the 3rd out to midfield.

- - - Updated - - -

cmac95 said:
Kick... Chase... Tackle... Ruck... Intensity... Repeat.
Are you South African?

No, then it would be:

Kuk.. chase... tackul... ruk... intensity... repet.

- - - Updated - - -

Meyer likes a kicking game. Too bad our current halves and 15 are near useless at tactical kicking. So I guess our game plan can be called Is-Fourie-du-Preez-fit?

I agree on those highlighted players (and of course FdP as I mentioned in my post) but will they / should they start ahead of Pienaar, Pollard and Le Roux who have been the encumbants under Meyer?

Just to be clear - can I interpret that as you saying Pienaar is "near useless at tactical kicking"...?

Last edited:
not often that you can say that out of the home nations, England will be looking to play the most expansive rugby. Ironically probably with Scotland in 2nd place and Wales near the bottom of expansive'ness'. Oh how the times change!

With 1/2p out I am sure we will be more expansive my ideal 1st choice for the bigger pool games would be

Jenkins, Owens, Lee.
AWJ, Charteris.
Warburton, Falatau, Tipuric.

Lloyd Williams, Biggar.
Scott Williams, Roberts.
North, Walker.
Liam Williams.

This side has the ability to cut loose and destroy sides, although Gats may be more conservative in selection.

The All Blacks have some old players in the mix.
McCaw, Woodcock, Mealaamu, Carter.... key players in key positions.
We will be focussing on keeping them in cotton wool.
No tackling, no running with the ball where they might get tackled, no playing on worn areas of the pitch where they might turn an old ailing ankle, no harsh hot and cold physio sessions, instead warm Thai massages with happy endings.
An armchair ride to the final where we can choke against anyone.

Latest posts