Your Favourite Club Memory

Feicarsinn

Super Αdmin
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
Passing the mind numbing boredom of the slow season is difficult. What's you favourite memory of your region/club/province/conglomerate? Amusing.

Beating the Ospreys first team in 2011, Toby was absolutely immense, Jerry Collins went up to him right after the game.
Obviously we don't have many fantastic memories with the Dragons, but that was special, considering I had to hear about how the Ospreys were going to crush us.

The 2010 Currie Cup was perhaps my single best rugby event. What a class team we had, Terblanche, young Patrick, Jacques Botes. That final was perfect, I only wish we really kicked on after that.

Cross Keys making the BIC final was quite special, felt weird to watch them on TV across the ocean. Gutted they lost, but did many proud.

Favourite recent memory was probably the weirdest situation I've ever seen.
Martin Williams taking a penalty in front of the posts.
Was just surreal.

(I'd have said attending the last game at the Arm's Park, but now we've moved back there, so my overpriced programme that I bought is never going to appear on the antiques roadshow!)

As a Munster man our first HEC win in Cardiff is obvious 1 as tears were shed but most amazing atmosphere and thril was at Gloucester in 2008 QF. Just something special about that day and how it went.

Have to say the 2008 Currie Cup final is one of the best memories I have of my precious Sharkies.

I started following them in 2006 and when they made the Super14 final a year later, I was getting into it even more. Unfortunately, the loss to the Bulls in the final seconds (Francois Steyn not kicking for touch, idiot!) was hard, since most of my wife's family were Bulls supporters, including my wife. Only me and her dad were Shark supporters and we had a tough time recovering from that.

The 2008 Currie Cup final was great for several reasoms. We ended our drought of 12 years in which the Sharks did not win anything. Secondly, it was revenge for the 2007 final. We beat the Bulls in that Currie Cup final with 14-9 (2 converted tries vs. 3 penalties, typical Sharks-Bulls game). I watched the game with my wife, her brother and mother and I was the only one cheering afterwards. It was magnificent!

The 2010 Currie Cup win was also very nice, mainly because the emerging Patrick Lambie. I just wish we could have hung on to some of the players we lost over the years. Especially Ruan Pienaar leaving, hurt us. We had to rely on Rory Kockott (wasn't as solid as he is now for Castres) and Charl McLeod (who's primary skill was to lose the ball forward when going for glory).

Most epic game I ever watched, has to be the Super Rugby semi final against the Stormers last year. I was already back in Holland and went to O'Caseys to watch the game. Saturday afternoon, packed with South Africans. Half supporting the Sharks, the other half (maybe even a bit more) supporting the Stormers. The whole vibe in the pub that day was really something else. Being halfway across the world and watching the game with so many people being as intense as yourself is something I will never forget.

After the game, us Sharkies, bought a round of drinks for the Stormers

As a Leinster man I have to say the final against Northampton , the comeback was incredible. Pure balls guts and passion.

Other sports. Bergkamp against Newcastle in 2002, I remember where I was when I heard the commentator on the radio. Went home and scoured the television to see the goal. And have promptly mastrubated to it for the last 11 years.

Hurling , it would be Rory McCarthy's goal against cork in the all Ireland semi final , last puck of the game blasts it into the net to tie the game. Heroic stuff.

Football , Matty forde against down. He gave a masterclass. Potentially it was the all Ireland semi final in 09 either , having lost by a few points to Tyrone and their supporters having left the stands , about 40,000 of us gave a standing ovation to Jason Ryan and the lads for a solid ten minutes amazing.

They are probably the stand out moments in sport for me on a personal level.

Winning the NPC in 2000 was pretty special - Jonah Lomu, Tana Umaga, Christian Cullen, Jerry Collins, Norm Hewitt, Alama Ieremia, Rodney So'oialo etc. Lomu and Cullen were both excellent. The 2006 Hurricanes was also pretty awesome, getting to the finals. Just a shame about the damn fog.

If you took the time I've spent rewatching the Pro12 final against Leinster season-before-last and turned it into bread buns or something, we'd've solved world hunger. I've watched the whole game through in English, in Welsh, with the Irish comentary, with this odd kinda neutral commentary, with myself commentating, with no commentary. I watch it on a regular basis because it was just an amazing day. Nobody felt we could do it, until, morning of the match, I said to my dad "Dan Biggar to sneak it for us in the last few minutes" he then told me it'd be over by 60 minutes. The funny thing was, we both felt we were right- No way Leinster should've let a 12-point lead slip in 15 minutes. It was an amazing comeback, and one crystallised by memories of Shane. The performance the likes of Beerman, Hibbard, Tipuric, Bish, Ryan and Alun Wyn put in didn't go unnoticed, incredible grafting, heartful performances, a perfect team performance when you throw in the peaks of class of Beck, Biggar and Shane. Oh, and mad Hanno. I love mad Hanno. The way he tears after the ball as Beck kicked it out.

What am I doing typing about it? I'm going to head over to the telly, put on the Sky+ box and watch it all over again.

Leinster's first H cup is pretty good, but the 2010/11 season sticks out most for me particularly the Toulouse semi-final which I was at and it was the best game and atmosphere I've been to and the final was something special.

Latest posts