• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Your favourite match

This can turn into a nice topic. For me it's easy. Crusaders-Sharks at Twickenham last month. It was huge! I bought tickets, asked a friend to come along, got on the ferry from Hoek van Holland to Harwich, drove all the way to Twickers and we arrived at 9 in the morning, 7 hours before the match.

We took the train to Waterloo Station and toured London for a couple of hours before returning. When we got to the stadium, it was massive. It was not sold out, but still... Seeing the Sharks play so close to home was awesome. We lost 44-28 but it was so much more memorable than for instance England-South Africa in November.

Presume you don't mean in person, as you said the Munster ABs game was yours, so:

England vs Australia 2003
_39738477_johhnorwc03getty.jpg

Sale Sharks vs Leicester Tigers 2006
sale_champions_490.jpg

Last edited:
1973 - Barbarians vs. All Blacks - Cardiff Arms Park. With probably the greatest try of all time scored.

<embed id=VideoPlayback src=http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=3006034587463880114&hl=en&fs=true style=width:400px;height:326px allowFullScreen=true allowScriptAccess=always type=application/x-shockwave-flash> </embed>

moz-screenshot-7.png
CDF_BE_Wales_V_Scotland15.jpg

I WAS THERE. The last ten minutes were incredible. When Shane scored on 82 minutes everything just turned to white noise. I hugged two total strangers. It was brilliant.

ireland england 2007 six nations

imgres

god the atmossphere was immesnse was a great day

Last edited by a moderator:
My favourite has gotta be Blues v Leicester in the 2009 HC Semi Final.

The Wales v Scotland game DuncTheDoodle posted above comes close, as does the Ospreys v Sale in 2006, scoring this try to seal the game:

and belvedere vs st marys in the senior cup final 2008

Fiji defeat Wales 38-34 in the final group B match of the 2007 Rugby World Cup. That win moved Fiji into the knock-out phase at the Welsh's expense with a try from prop Graham Dewes.

In person it would have to be a group match from the Heineken Cup in 2006. Yachvili and Bobo took over the last minutes of a match between Biarritz and Border Reivers with one of the best tries I've ever witnessed. Yachvili kicked to the corner edge following a ruck where an open Bobo caught the ball with one hand for a try. Bobo scored two tries in three minutes to give Biarritz the win 27-17.

Last edited:
1973 - Barbarians vs. All Blacks - Cardiff Arms Park. With probably the greatest try of all time scored.

<embed id="VideoPlayback" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=3006034587463880114&hl=en&fs=true" style="width: 400px; height: 326px;" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

This!!!!

....and this

Also, the following match may not be very memorable in itself. It was played on a cold December night in wet, sticky conditions, but for sheer "edge of the seat" stuff, the following piece of action is the most tension packed and dramatic six minutes of rugby I can recall.

It has to be All Blacks vs Wallabies in Sydney 2000 for me. Jonah scoring that try down the sideline in overtime was sensational.

1991 RWC: Australia 9 Samoa 3

1991 RWC: Samoa 16 Wales 13

One of those 2 games is my personal favourite.

Can't really pick one; if you really put me on the spot I'd probably pick either the Wellington match or Eales' last game.

1997 Australia v England at Brisbane
1999 World Cup final
1999 World Cup Aus v SA semi
2000 Bledisloe Cup in Sydney
2000 Bledisloe Cup in Wellington
2001 Australia v NZ (Eales' last game)
2001 Australia v Lions 3rd Test
2002 Australia v France in Sydney
2003 World Cup Aus v NZ semi

And any Brumbies Super Rugby final win.

Latest posts