Your Lions Squad Based on this Season?

big ginger 8

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
So given the NH season is basically guaranteed over and most of us are sitting at home bored, figured it would be a good time to do this. I'm not trying to predict what Gatland will pick our what position players will be in next season but basing the squad on what we know now and presuming everyone is fully fit. Last two squads have had 37 and 41 players announced initially so keeping in that ballpark. Players aren't meant to be in any depth chart type order.

Loosehead: Vunipola, Healy, Genge - Some people will claim Healy hasn't been great, I disagree. Third loosehead could easily be a few other guys but I like Genge's physicality against SA, even if I am worried about his discipline.

Hooker: George, Owens, Kelleher - I'm a fan of McInally but I just feel there's something lacking there at the moment. If anyone can't tell I really rate Kelleher and I think he's good enough, even if he didn't get the chance to fully prove it yet.

Tighthead: Furlong, Sinckler, Fagerson, Porter - not particularly impressed by the Welsh tightheads, think these guys are all quite dynamic and abrasive. Porter's ability to play both sides would be very welcome on tour.

Locks: Ryan, Itoje, Kruis, Henderson, Lawes, Jones - AWJ making it in by the skin of his teeth, I actually rate him more than a lot of people on this forum but there's a load of talented locks lying about.

Backrow: T. Curry, Underhill, Stander, Doris, Vunipola, H. Watson, Navidi - If Leavy came back even 90% of the player he was he'd be in. Do worry it might be a bit light weight overall and do think there's room for a 'big' six, whether that comes in the form of someone who packs down at lock as well or not.

Scrumhalves: T Williams, G Davies, Webb - **** it.

Outhalf: Sexton, Farrell, Biggar, Russell - keep everyone except the Bath fans happy

Centre: Tuilagi, Ringrose, Henshaw, Tompkins - Feel like Tuilagi and Ringrose are relative standouts and there's a lot of guys of a similarish level so picked two that were doing good stuff recently and offer some versatility.

Backthree: A. Watson, May, Larmour, Hogg, Kinghorn, L. Williams, Conway - Tough choice on a few guys, There are good arguments for the likes of Stockdale and Daly. I am almost definitely overrating Kinghorn.

I have definitely forgotten people and not put enough though into this like I only just remembered Jack Conan and he could definitely be in.

Breakdown: 41 players, 14 English, 13 Irish, 9 Welsh, 5 Scottish

No idea who I'd pick as captain that's a guaranteed test started.

5 Scots? Yeah can definitely tell you aren't doing a team you predict Gatland will actually choose :D

Outhalf: Sexton, Farrell, Biggar, Russell - keep everyone except the Bath fans happy

As a Bath fan I'm not sure what about that is supposed to make me unhappy?

Overall I'd agree with that.

5 Scots? Yeah can definitely tell you aren't doing a team you predict Gatland will actually choose :D

As a Bath fan I'm not sure what about that is supposed to make me unhappy?

Overall I'd agree with that.

Actually surprised about how many Scots I had.

I haven't really payed attention but I know I've skimmed multiple arguments between TAB and Bath supporters about Ford so was just joking about that.

On the topic of Scots I'd say Rory Sutherland has a very good chance of making it in if he keeps up his form from this 6N. Thought he was the best prop of the tournament by a reasonable distance.

Actually surprised about how many Scots I had.

I haven't really payed attention but I know I've skimmed multiple arguments between TAB and Bath supporters about Ford so was just joking about that.

Ford left us, he is dead to us now (he isn't but really he's not a Bath 10 any more). I guess Bath fans are just generally less dismissive of him.

Ford left us, he is dead to us now (he isn't but really he's not a Bath 10 any more). I guess Bath fans are just generally less dismissive of him.

Dunno how I managed to completely forget he went back to Leicester.

This is what I think it should be rather than what I think it will be for starters.

In brackets are my players to come in if something goes worng

LH - Marler, Mako, genge (Sutherland)

HK- George, Owens, McInally (Cowan Dickie)

TH - Sinkler, Furlong, Porter (fagerson)

LK- Itoje, Lawes, Ryan, Gray, Henderson, cummings (ooh controversial I know)

FL - Curry, Underhill, Tipuric, Watson, Stander

8 - Vunipola, Dombrandt

9 - Davies, Williams, price

10 - Russell, Biggar, Farrell

Centre - tuilagi, Davies, Slade, Johnson, ringrose (Joseph)

Wing - Watson, may, Adams, Conway

FB- Hogg, Williams, larmour

So
English - 16
Irish - 8
Scottish - 7
Welsh - 8

I'll give it a go

LH: Vunipola, Genge, Sutherland (Healy is past his peak imo, still good but won't be good enough when this comes round)
Hooker: George, Kelleher, McInally (thought Owens had a pretty poor 6N if I'm honest)
Tighthead: Furlong, Sinkler, Porter
Locks: Ryan, Itoje, Henderson, Lawes, Jones (assuming Kruis is in Japan)
Backrow: Vunipola, Curry, Underhill, Watson, Navidi, Doris, Leavy, Faletau (those last two are dependent on returns to form after long term injury layoffs)
Scrumhalf: Tomos Williams, George Horne, Gareth Davies (this could well be all Welsh and few would be able to complain)
Outhalf: Farrell, Ford, Russell (I hate to leave Sexton out but that's life)
Centre: Tualagi, Ringrose, J Davies, Slade, Henshaw (not sold on Henshaw but there's a massive lack of 12s atm)
Back Three: Larmour, Conway, Adams, Williams, Hogg, May, Watson, Stockdale (the last spot could go anywhere and will come down to form but if Stockdale hits his stride he'll definitely go so I threw him in)

Of those I left out, you could make a decent case for Healy, Owens, Stander, Sexton, Daly and probably a few others I'm forgetting about.

Hard to find someone who I'd be happy with as captain and also a guarenteed starter, I'd probably take a punt on Itoje.

Breakdown of mine is
15 English
12 Irish
8 Welsh
6 Scots

Which I think is fair based on relative strength at the moment.

The three Celtic teams are all pretty poor right now and England blow hot and cold but I think there's enough individual talent there to beats South Africa. If (big if) we can match them upfront there's enough talent in that backline.

It's tricky because we're picking off a lot less rugby than we ordinarily would be and who knows whether next season will start in September as we hope it will ...

There are certain positions that have more debate, but I think others are fairly unanimous and it's more a case of deciding the pecking order.

I agree with Toby that Sutherland was probably the pick of the looseheads in the 6N, but I don't know if that was a purple patch or something more sustainable. Right now, I'd take the three English looseheads with Sutherland as fourth choice pushing Healy down to fifth.

If I were picking a team to start today based solely upon recent form (6N or club) I'd go with:

1. Marler (Eng)
2. George (Eng)
3. Furlong (Ire)
4. Itoje (Eng)
5. Ryan (Ire)
6. Curry (Eng)
7. Tipuric (Wal)
8. Stander (Ire)
9. Williams (Wal)
10. Russell (Sco)
11. May (Eng)
12. Tuilagi (Eng)
13. Ringrose (Ire)
14. Watson (Eng)
15. Hogg (Sco)

I rate Sinckler as a better player than Furlong, but against the SA scrum, I think Furlong and Marler would be the best prop pairing.

My only concern with that side would be the lineout where SA are very strong. Tipuric and Curry are reasonable jumpers but not compared to PSDT for example. I'd be tempted to go with a bigger 6 with more lineout prowess, but there's no-one that really stands out,

Based upon recent form, Stander gets the nod at 8 for me, but if Billy or Faletau build up a run of form, he'd be the guy with the biggest chance of dropping out of my starting XV.

A couple of names that haven't been mentioned that would at least warrant conversation for a back row berth are Wilson, Wainwright and Ritchie. I don't know if I'd take any of them ahead of those that have been mentioned, but I also wouldn't be overly disappointed if they were picked.

It's tricky because we're picking off a lot less rugby than we ordinarily would be and who knows whether next season will start in September as we hope it will ...

There are certain positions that have more debate, but I think others are fairly unanimous and it's more a case of deciding the pecking order.

I agree with Toby that Sutherland was probably the pick of the looseheads in the 6N, but I don't know if that was a purple patch or something more sustainable. Right now, I'd take the three English looseheads with Sutherland as fourth choice pushing Healy down to fifth.

If I were picking a team to start today based solely upon recent form (6N or club) I'd go with:

1. Marler (Eng)
2. George (Eng)
3. Furlong (Ire)
4. Itoje (Eng)
5. Ryan (Ire)
6. Curry (Eng)
7. Tipuric (Wal)
8. Stander (Ire)
9. Williams (Wal)
10. Russell (Sco)
11. May (Eng)
12. Tuilagi (Eng)
13. Ringrose (Ire)
14. Watson (Eng)
15. Hogg (Sco)

I rate Sinckler as a better player than Furlong, but against the SA scrum, I think Furlong and Marler would be the best prop pairing.

My only concern with that side would be the lineout where SA are very strong. Tipuric and Curry are reasonable jumpers but not compared to PSDT for example. I'd be tempted to go with a bigger 6 with more lineout prowess, but there's no-one that really stands out,

Based upon recent form, Stander gets the nod at 8 for me, but if Billy or Faletau build up a run of form, he'd be the guy with the biggest chance of dropping out of my starting XV.

A couple of names that haven't been mentioned that would at least warrant conversation for a back row berth are Wilson, Wainwright and Ritchie. I don't know if I'd take any of them ahead of those that have been mentioned, but I also wouldn't be overly disappointed if they were picked.

For once I am in agreement with Stuart Barnes. And I am very rarely in agreement of him, but Maro must be under serious consideration to be the tour captain. First and foremost because he his an exceptional player, evolving into a great leader on the field and likely to be in the starting test team, but yes because of his African roots and it would be symbolic of him being the first black lions captain against South Africa.

For once I am in agreement with Stuart Barnes. And I am very rarely in agreement of him, but Maro must be under serious consideration to be the tour captain. First and foremost because he his an exceptional player, evolving into a great leader on the field and likely to be in the starting test team, but yes because of his African roots and it would be symbolic of him being the first black lions captain against South Africa.

And I am in disagreement with Stuart Barnes. As always. Maro has never been an international captain and I'm pretty sure he's never captained Sarries either. He is an exceptional player and he does seem to be evolving into a leader and there's a way to go yet before the tour, so if he merits the role on those qualities come the day then great. But his skin colour should never factor into a meritocratic system, and his African roots are in Nigeria, half a continent away and a very different culture to SA.

Realistically unless it's Jones it's got to be someone who isn't an international captain, no one wans Sexton, Farrell or Hogg leading the lions. Itoje is the best option I can think of, he's been an a tour before, he's a definite starter and he's definitely on the way to being a leader. Of the guaranteed starters he's the best I can think of.

Geechs appointed Martin Johnson as captain even though he wasn't captain of England at the time. Barring injury AWJ is a shoe in with Gatland as head coach.

James Ryan would have been a contender but the fact that Sexton is Ireland captain reduces his chances although I expect him to be in the leadership group with a view on future tours. Will Sexton even tour? Think he'll be 34/35?

And I am in disagreement with Stuart Barnes. As always. Maro has never been an international captain and I'm pretty sure he's never captained Sarries either. He is an exceptional player and he does seem to be evolving into a leader and there's a way to go yet before the tour, so if he merits the role on those qualities come the day then great. But his skin colour should never factor into a meritocratic system, and his African roots are in Nigeria, half a continent away and a very different culture to SA.

As I said first and foremost he should be chosen because he is an exceptional player, who leads by example on the field. But You can't get away from his ethnicity it is part and parcel of who he is. But in the context of a Lions tour to SA of all places it is right IMO. And no better time to choose the first black Lions captain IMO.

I really do hope Gatland does not choose AWJ as captain. It would confirm his Welsh bias if he does. It would send the wrong message the squad if he does that he still retains his Welsh bias when he is no longer their manager. If AWJ is still good enough to warrant a place then so be it.

I'm sure i've seen Maro captain - was he captain of the u20s?
I could've sworn I've seen him for Sarries too, but with Farrell and Barritt ahead of him maybe not (and Ford is head of him for England).
He always seemed destined for captaincy when he burst onto the scene, but now i'm not so sure. Feel like he'd have been given a crack at it by now if he was a realistic option

Latest posts