• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Your Lions Squad Based on this Season?

Looks like the Lions will play a 'home' game against Japan at Murrayfield on June 26 next year. Could be a good weekend trip to Edinburgh.

No takers on my question about lions eligibility criteria given George kruis is moving to Japan?

No takers on my question about lions eligibility criteria given George kruis is moving to Japan?
I'm sorry, that was an important point. Wanted to pick it up, but got sidetracked. Would understand that you feel cold shouldered.
Read about that when it came out from a news agency. What I gathered from the information tossed about there this queston is open. And will stay so for a while. But Kruis would be hard to replace. That might be a big difference in comparison to Parkes.
Six Nations participations is not mandatory. There are precedents. Claws Clohessy was picked out of club rugby in Australia once to join a Lions tour (from day one.)
The timing can be worked out, missed a statement that he had that addressed in his contract. If all those technicalities are sorted out, it would boil down to how Gats views the rugby played by him in Japan. Whether he would be deemed to have lost the edge due to the easier level there (not in terms of fitness standards.)
What do you think of the captaincy? Don't tell me Joe Marler (to succeed "his mate" AW Jones.)

I think Gatland would still pick Kruis if he's fit and in form. He clearly rates him having picked him last time around even though he was just coming back from injury and missed 6N games. Unless a bunch of other locks put their hand up I think he'll tour.

I think Gatland would still pick Kruis if he's fit and in form. He clearly rates him having picked him last time around even though he was just coming back from injury and missed 6N games. Unless a bunch of other locks put their hand up I think he'll tour.
You scared me, but only for a second. You held the line, good example. That Umaga guy is not the issue. But harmless and may be afforded that leeway.

I'm not sure he would,
He's definitely eligible but I think it'll be a case of out of sight out of mind - lock is arguably the lions strongest position, Kruis heading to the opposite side of the world to play club rugby a few levels below Heineken Cup level makes Gatlands decision a bit easier to make

I'm not sure he would,
He's definitely eligible but I think it'll be a case of out of sight out of mind - lock is arguably the lions strongest position, Kruis heading to the opposite side of the world to play club rugby a few levels below Heineken Cup level makes Gatlands decision a bit easier to make

It didn't stop him picking Shane Williams while he was in Japan (doing commentary!) or the Geography 6. This is Gatland we're talking about. I'm still yet to be convinced that he won't pick Parkes. Plus, I don't know when he will leave NZ and return to the UK. Presumably just as next year's 6N starts.

It didn't stop him picking Shane Williams while he was in Japan (doing commentary!) or the Geography 6. This is Gatland we're talking about. I'm still yet to be convinced that he won't pick Parkes. Plus, I don't know when he will leave NZ and return to the UK. Presumably just as next year's 6N starts.
Ah but Kruis isn't Welsh :p

I think he'll definitely he up there as a replacement (though I don't think Japan is any closer to SA than the UK - maybe even further?) I just think Gatland will pick others and Kruis being in Japan makes it easy to put him to one side even if he is (imo) comfortably one of the best locks in Europe

Ah but Kruis isn't Welsh :p

I think he'll definitely he up there as a replacement (though I don't think Japan is any closer to SA than the UK - maybe even further?) I just think Gatland will pick others and Kruis being in Japan makes it easy to put him to one side even if he is (imo) comfortably one of the best locks in Europe

I'm a big Kruis fan and think he's tailor made to take on the Boks (at least as a finisher) with his size and strength. Let's hope he has a distant Welsh Granny which might nudge Gatland in the right direction!

Oh aye, don't get me wrong he's a starter for me (I think I'm on record here as him being my favourite English lock), but....

Gatland

In fairness, Gatland picked him last time round. He just played poorly so might not get a second go.

I'd like Ryan and Itoje as my two starters and then we can fill the rest of the squad with welsh locks because it's Gatland.

I find it odd the calls for Itoje to be captain. Not saying he couldn't be a good one in the future but to me the captain has to be a regular captain of both club and country before being picked. It might be my Welsh bias but I reckon that Alun Wyn Jones is the best captain of the home nations however he's not the best lock and I'm not one for shoehorn a captain into a side so he wouldn't get my vote.

In fairness, Gatland picked him last time round. He just played poorly so might not get a second go.
He was just coming back from injury. That Gatland picked him showed just how highly he rates him.

I find it odd the calls for Itoje to be captain. Not saying he couldn't be a good one in the future but to me the captain has to be a regular captain of both club and country before being picked. It might be my Welsh bias but I reckon that Alun Wyn Jones is the best captain of the home nations however he's not the best lock and I'm not one for shoehorn a captain into a side so he wouldn't get my vote.
The best team isn't necessarily the best 15 players.

Captaincy is a big thing for the Lions and covers off the field too. There are no other outstanding candidates and AWJ knows how to navigate all that.

To those who counter ruck with Johnson in 97, that was 23 years ago and no-one had even heard of social media back then.....different world.

Captaincy is a big thing for the Lions and covers off the field too. There are no other outstanding candidates and AWJ knows how to navigate all that.

To those who counter ruck with Johnson in 97, that was 23 years ago and no-one had even heard of social media back then.....different world.

That's a good point, however I feel he's too much behind the likes of Itoje and Ryan as a player to justify his inclusion in the test starting side.

That's a good point, however I feel he's too much behind the likes of Itoje and Ryan as a player to justify his inclusion in the test starting side.
It's just who else? Not Faz or Sexton for me. Hogg's prob got the 15 shirt but not sure he commands universal respect. Outside of those I don't see many nailed on starters let alone potential captains.

Make AWJ tour captain to do the initial media, stand in front of the plane holding a cuddly Lion and leave the test team captain's spot vacant until the test team is announced. Just have a leadership group and rotate the captaincy amongst them until the first test team is announced. By that point the players and coaches can collectively decide who is best placed to lead the test side. Takes away the pressure of the coaches feeling obliged to stand by a pre picked captain who may no longer be the best option for their position. The leadership group could include Faz, Hogg, Itoje and Ryan (to give them experience for future tours).

Will be surprised if it's not Farrell, tbh - experienced tourer, international captain and respected by players around him.
POC spoke highly of his influence on the Lions when he toured with them as a 20yr old.

My money's on it going to AWJ. And to be honest, with Kruis likely out of the picture I wouldn't feel massively aggrieved by AWJ captaining the test sides. I may have just spent too much time being corrupted by the Welsh though...

Latest posts