Your Lions Squad Following the 6N

big ginger 8

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
People can ignore this if they want. I just feel the various Lions threads are getting a bit cluttered. So I've decided to make a new one solely for squads as I think they will spark enough debate without getting into the lineups. Some big names will be left out by anyone who posts a squad. My squad may be a bit biased but I'm trying to distance myself from performances yesterday and remember the average level over the season. So in no particular order my squad.

Props: Healy, Vunipola, Jenkins, Jones, Cross, Cole

James is unlucky but I like the impact Vunipola brings if Jenkins goes back to his Toulon form James in. Jenkins may also not be available because of Top 14 playoffs as far as I understand.

Hookers: Hibbard, Best, Youngs

A lot to offer around the park questions surrounding throwing for two of them but with the options they'll have available and Aus' fairly weak lineout they should be ok.

Locks: Parling, Wyn-Jones, Hamilton, O'Connell

A bit controversial here I'm sure. I like the work and power they bring also some excellent operators come lineout time. PO'C seems to be fit now and if he has any semblance of form I want him to travel. If not I'd bring Hines and an extra secondrow probably Evans.

Backrow: Tipuric, Warbuton, Faletau, O'Brien, Heaslip, Robshaw, Wood

Probably the most controversial part of the team. I think it's a god mix of players with varying skillsets. For all the slating Heaslips gotten I think he's been one of the best Irish players and really stood up the last three games.

Scrumhalves: Philips, Care, Laidlaw

All have radically different styles and could compliment each other well. Maybe I should pick Youngs ahead of Care but I really like Care.

Outhalves: Biggar, Sexton, Farrell

Some will call for Wilkinson, I don't really want him.

Centres: Scott, O'Driscoll, Roberts, Tuilagi

I like them Davies is unlucky if he learns to pass straight in. Depending on how quickly he recovers from his concussion Marshall could maybe be in there or maybe not could be 36.

Backthree: Hogg, Halfpenny, Bowe, North, Cuthbert, Kearney

I'm a huge Bowe fan as many of you know. Proven finisher and a proven Lion if he's fit he gets in my squad. I'm sure many won't like Kearney being there but I feel he could be quite useful and Aus do kick a lot more than people think. If Zebo comes back well maybe he could be there or Gilroy if he shows his attacking from. Wade a potential bolter. Don't like the English starting backthree. I know better players are being left out but have they played at a high enough level?

My tour captain would also be BO'D along with 9 Irish that probably is a biased squad.

13 Welsh, 9 Irish, 9 English and 4 Scots. 35 man squad I think it could bring home the series am sure others think different.

Oh and from an Irish point of view my potential bolters are for the forwards Iain Henderson and from the backs Ian Madigan.

Last edited:
Ignore me, being stupid, confused Grant (who I rate) with Cross (who I don't)... gods, is he really our third best tighthead?

1 - Healy

2 - Hibbard
3- jones
4- parling
5- Ryan
6- Sob
7 - tipuric
8 - faletau (best tournament I've seen from him)
9 - Phillips
10- sexton
11 - north
12 - tuilangi
13 - bod
14 - Gilroy (because I love him , open game would suit and is defensively fantastic)
15 - halfpenny

Ignore me, being stupid, confused Grant (who I rate) with Cross (who I don't)... gods, is he really our third best tighthead?

Rate Grant too. I think Cross probably is and I don't think he'll get near the team but I also probably rate him higher than you. Scotlands scrum was at it's best with him.

Rate Grant too. I think Cross probably is and I don't think he'll get near the team but I also probably rate him higher than you. Scotlands scrum was at it's best with him.

He's a tricky little bugger, but never seen him do much other than scrum.

BG8. I doubt we will get 9 Irish on plane and regards your back 3 choices I know Hogg and Halfpenny can play wings but they are best at 15 and it highly unlikely they will bring just 3 wingers (Bowe been risky if returns on time) and 3 15's. think Kearney and Hogg are in straight fight for backup 15

I'd be very happy with that squad. 9/10

I'd alter the back-row around a bit, I think everyone has different opinions here, with Beattie or Brown in for Wood and I think Morgan vs Heaslip will come down to their form with Glos and Leinster respectively especially considering their playing the same level of rugby.

I'd also have Flood ahead of Farrell because with an attack minded backline he's be more effective than Farrell but of course his dad isn't the coach.

I love the look of those centers, I could imagine Scott and O'Driscoll tearing **** up for 60 minutes and then Tuilagi or Roberts to come in and bash the Aussie midfield up.

I'm a bit apprehensive about Paul O'Connell but if he does make it he is a great asset to any squad and he'd work his balls off to make that test side.

@Munstermuffen The only problem there is we have quite a poor level of wings, Zebo is the next best option as I wouldn't really like to see Visser or Maitland tour. People forget just how good Kearney is at top form, I honestly think that when both players reach top form Kearney is better than Halfpenny but Halfpenny's incredibly high level of consistency makes him the better player overall.

Last edited:
Props:
Gethin Jenkins, Adam Jones, Cian Healy, Dan Cole, Andrew Sherridan, Mike Ross.

The Australians hate Sherridan, and with every reason. Jenkins makes it above Vunipola as the only prop who can play on both sides of the scrum.

Hookers:
Richard Hibbard, Rory Best, Tom Youngs.

Tom Youngs has had a pretty decent tournament IMO, and with the contrast in styles between Hibbard and Best, we have a good mixture at hooker.

Locks:
Geoff Parling, Jim Hamilton, Alun-Wyn Jones, Ian Evans.

A good mixture of size and prowess in the loose, coupled with some excellent operators come line out time.

Blindside Flankers:

Sean O'Brien, Chris Robshaw, Dan Lydiate.

An area of great power and variety. Ryan Jones has a chance if he can make a recovery, and Kelly Brown could be in with a shout after a great 6N.

Openside Flankers:

Sam Warbuton, Justin Tipuric.

The most controversial area of the squad, and a vital position if Australia are going to be countered. We have plenty of options in the back row, and without doubt our strongest area.

Number 8:
Toby Faletau, Jamie Heaslip, Johnnie Beattie.

Pace, strength and toughness - a great mixture of styles.

Scrum-halves:
Mike Phillips, Greg Laidlaw, Ben Youngs.

These three have so much class between them. With Phillip's ball carrying, Laidlaw's tacticall nous, and Youngs zip around the ruck, we have plenty of options.

Fly-halves:
Jonathan Sexton, Dan Biggar, Owen Farrell.

All the pressure will be on Sexton. Wilkinson as a wild card? I don't think so.

Centres:
Manu Tuilagi, Brian O'Driscoll, Jamie Roberts, Jonathan Davies.

All four are slightly under performing at the minute. Tuilagi can be slightly one dimensional at times, with BOD struggling to absorb the knocks that international rugby has to offer. You need leaders on a Lions tour, so O'Driscoll will tour, and will start at 13.

Wingers:
George North, Stuart Hogg, Alex Cuthbart.

If Chris Ashton can regain his form, he would have a chance. I am not sure how much game time Hogg has had on the wing, but he certainly deserves a place in the squad on merit. Christian Wade as a potential wild card.

Full-backs:
Leigh Halfpenny, Rob Kearney.

Halfpenny is a certainty to start at 15. Kearney has had a reasonably quiet 6N, but he is still in my squad.

1. Cian Healy
2. Richard Hibbard
3. Adam Jones
4. Alun Wyn Jones
5. Jim Hamilton
6. Sean O'Brien
7. Sam Warbuton
8. Toby Faletau
9. Mike Phillips
10. Jonny Sexton
11. George North
12. Manu Tuilagi
13. Brian O'Driscoll
14. Stuart Hogg
15. Leigh Halfpenny

16. Rory Best
17. Gethin Jenkins
18. Dan Cole
19. Alun Wyn-Jones
20. Justin Tipuric
21. Greg Laidlaw
22. Owen Farrell
23. Rob Kearney.

Last edited:
Front row is nicely balanced, if Gethin isn't available James is definitely next in line.
Like Gethin Jenkins, Hines could well be in the TOP14 final with Clermont.
You were probably expecting this, but I would take Morgan over Heaslip all day. I agree that it will probably be decided by club form.
Good scrum half balance, looks like a winner to me. Could go with Youngs or Care.
Average FH's but what are you gonna do...?
I'd have 36 over Scott, I think he's better quality going forward and has a ***anic boot fwiw. Don't know about BOD either.

Would like to see Wade, Varndell or Eastmond taken as a bolter from an England perspective.
I think we need an absolutely rapid winger behind North/Cuthbert because if one of them get's injured then we would call up cover anyway in which case you could bring a more balanced player in.

Billy Vunipola as a bolter, he's physical as **** and has the Wasps link...?

Last edited:
People might forget this but given that it's a Lions tradition to carry one uncapped player from the home nations on tour, Wade's chances of touring aren't even that slim.

From an English perspective George Ford might possibly edge it with him, but given Wade's incredible attacking skillset I think he might have the uncapped jersey nailed down.

Last edited:
It's not a Lions traditions, its a Baabaas tradition. Greenwood in 97 was the last uncapped tourist I believe.

I was certain one of Keith Earls or Leigh Halfpenny were uncapped last time around. It's amazing how these players turned out, both surprises on the last Lions tour one is now the national treasure of his country and the other despised in 3/4's of his.

It's not a Lions traditions, its a Baabaas tradition. Greenwood in 97 was the last uncapped tourist I believe.

Ah ******** you're right. Must have been something perpetuated by my group of mates.

The Earls and Halfpenny thing threw me off too, but turns out both of them were capped in the months leading up to the tour (against minor sides).

I'd have Ian Evans in the squad, because I think he's a great character. He's also been great in the last two 6 nations.

At 10, I would leave Farrell out, and take Biggar in his place, and take a bit of a risk in taking Burns.

I'd also take another bolter in Wade on the wing.

I was certain one of Keith Earls or Leigh Halfpenny were uncapped last time around. It's amazing how these players turned out, both surprises on the last Lions tour one is now the national treasure of his country and the other despised in 3/4's of his.
Earls was capped but I think it was only against Canada. May be wrong

Average FH's but what are you gonna do...?
I'd have 36 over Scott, I think he's better quality going forward and has a ***anic boot fwiw. Don't know about BOD either.

I wouldn't call Sexton average, I'd call him the second best 10 in world rugby but the argument could be made that all 10's after Carter are average I suppose. I'm liking him and Biggar over Cooper though.

As for Scott, I don't think he'll tour because he's gone completely unnoticed and is very underrated but apart from the England game where Scotland's whole team was bad I've been incredibly impressed with him and I think he's a bit more dangerous than 36 or Marshall and he's a very good kicker of the ball when he wants to kick and a strong defender, I'm a bit biased here though because he won me over in last years HEC semi final between Ulster and Edinburgh when I was sitting beside his most devout fans who spent the match singing.

"He passes to the left, he passes to the right"
"Maaaaaathew Scott"
"He shags 10 birds a night"
:D

And I'm interested to see who you'd take over BOD, the only players challenging him are Tuilagi and Davies. I think Tuilagi has been very average this championship, along with BOD with the exception of 15 minutes yesterday when Madigan got him going like Sexton would, but Davies has been very poor he didn't even look too convincing yesterday when Wales were on top and he was completely out classed by BOD in Cardiff.

You obviously haven't seen much of Cross with Edinburgh this season. This is a good indication as to what has been happening with their scrum with him all season. I also disagree that Scotland's scrum was best with him.

http://youtu.be/HJPp0rXUaFM?t=11m21s

People are overrating Hamilton too after the Ireland match. I've seen him in a few squads now. However he was awful against Wales and gave some of the most brainless stupid penalties I've seen. Hines is much better than Hamilton.

diapoefba6f110cd05c3d0cc860d5c5a55fbe.gif

Last edited:
You obviously haven't seen much of Cross with Edinburgh this season. This is a good indication as to what has been happening with their scrum with him all season. I also disagree that Scotland's scrum was best with him.

http://youtu.be/HJPp0rXUaFM?t=11m21s

People are overrating Hamilton too after the Ireland match. I've seen him in a few squads now. However he was awful against Wales and gave some of the most brainless stupid penalties I've seen. Hines is much better than Hamilton.

diapoefba6f110cd05c3d0cc860d5c5a55fbe.gif

Who'd you have ahead of Cross? It's pretty clear what went wrong with that scrum and it wasn't all Cross. His support completely left him behind. If you look at Edinburgh's locks none are what I'd consider strong scrummagers he'll have that with the Lions. He's my third choice anyway.

Did you watch the France match last night? Hamilton was excellent. I'm well aware of his discipline problem but he is brilliant at disrupting opposition ball at the lineout and safe on his own. Also a pain at ruck time and a strong defender. Hines may not be available because of Top 14 playoffs anyway.

Can't argue with the rest... but...

Tuilangi at 12?

Don't think his passing and probably more critically, awareness of what is outside him both in his line and the opposition line is up to it. For instance, he butchered a 3 on 1 at the weekend.

I'd try Roberts back in there - him and BOD had a great understanding last time out, with Roberts knowing where to look for the off-load out of the tackle. Has Tuilangi demonstrated the same?

Latest posts