Gena_ZA

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
Good day friends,

I am from South Africa and a very keen follower of Super Rugby. I watch every game and I am not influenced by opinions and 18th century old patriotism to a certain team for no other reason that " But my Dad supports them". Yes I have a favourite team in each country :) and a Stormer by heart.

Here is my gut feeling on the season ahead, but I must say all depends to what degree player management will come into effect this year. So this is based on squad composition and capabilities; this is how I see them finishing in the local sections, what happens from there is open to debate..
Please fellow rugby lovers, I would love your (arguably better) insight into NZ and AU teams.

NZ teams:
1. Crusaders - Have done it for so long and will do it again - Dagg and Williams just add more spice to a prime selection of A-Grade beef here
2. Hurricanes - Power and explosiveness - they wil be close to the best in NZ
3. Chiefs - Either brilliant or poor, guess they will not be brilliant enough consitantly
4. Blues - Too loose and rely too much on playmakers - can't see it changing this year
5. Highlanders - They will try hard again, but fail unfortunately

AU tems
1. Reds - Team on the rise, great playmakers, new zest from management and supporters alike.
2. Waratahs - Still strong and structured squad, stable and up to the challenge
3. Rebels - lots of energy, good player base but new and will still settle in this year
4. Brumbies - On the way down - not the "coollest" franchise anymore - that is now the Reds
5. Western Force - see them shine in a few games due to certain playmakers, overall unit and management structure not sound enough

SA teams
1. Stormers - Team has matured, play a "complete game" and could do one better this year
2. Sharks - great mix of management and player squad - lot's of energy, could top this log as well
3. Bulls - They are slowly on the demise, old legs with good heads keeping them afloat
4. Lions - will do much beter this year with complete new set-up, mangement and sponsors. Expect a few upsets, maybe a lot
5. Free state - No hopers, will cause a upset or two - poor union (money wise) without a major sponsor, time they make way for the Spears in 2012/2013 - not sure

There you have it, my take on it all.
Please flame, discuss, call me a fool if you like - just do it in the name of the game they play in Heaven.

Cheers
Eugene​

Last edited:
I will only give my take on the SA Conference.

1. Sharks
After losing Pienaar and Steyn, they went on by winning the Currie Cup with some amazing talent and experience all together. A front-row with 4 Springboks to choose from, some major talent with Lambie, Daniel and Mvovo who all made the Bok squad. We got Bosman, Hoffmann and JL Potgieter which gives us more options at the back where Jacobs and Pietersen return from injury.
2. Bulls
I don't see why everyone thinks the Bulls are over the hill. They performed average in the Currie Cup but they missed almost a full line-up. Du Preez, Matfield, Bakkies, Steenkamp, Hougaard and a couple more are there for the full competition while they were away with the Tri-Nations during the Currie Cup.
3. Stormers
The Stormers might have the best backline in the whole competition with Habana, Aplon, Fourie, de Jongh, de Villiers, Grant and Joe Pietersen. The real problem for them is the forward pack. They lack true quality there to make a difference. They performed exceptionally last year. I don't see them doing that again.
4. Lions
The Lions have a talented squad and got some quality with players like Kockott, Rhodes, Mapoe and Cilliers who all moved to Joburg for gametime. With players leaving the Lions year after year, now they finally got some quality players in, in stead of going out.
5. Cheetahs
Aside from Juan Smith and Heinrich Brussow I don't see any world class players in this squad. Nokwe, Johnson, de Bruyn and A. Strauss (both of them this time) are good, but not more than that. with Basson moving to Pretoria they lose one of their best weapons on the wing

I wish the Stormers still had Joe Petersen, he left for France at the end of Super 14 2009.
Your comment about the Bulls is very true and they might have a big comeback this year, time will tell with player management and their top players are Springbok certainties so they will have to rely on others to come though this year.

I thought Joe Pietersen would return for the Super15 competition...

Regarding the NZ teams this will be the outcome:
1) Crusaders ( almost on every position an AB)
2) Or Canes or Chiefs ( depending on the injury list of the Chiefs)
3) Blues but with the smallest difference to position 2
4) Highlanders, altho I see them doing well this season.

can't have done too well if we finish last again, no one thinks such a change in ranks and management will change things?

Last edited:
NZ
Crusaders - A team that Graham Henry could mistake for one of his Test day teamsheets, talent and depth all over.
Blues - Boast enough talent to give even the best a rough day at the office.
Canes or Chiefs - I'd have to go with Chiefs tbh, Canes are going to be found out with the extra long season.
Highlanders - You always feel these guys are a step away from 2nd or 3rd place.

SA
Stormers - Same as last year, will be pretty hard to defend against with their complete attacking play.
Sharks - CCup form and plenty of youth to give it a go.
Bulls - Yes, they are too old, doesn't matter that they missed the frontliners during TN where SA/Bulls proved too slow to keep up with AB's and Aussies. Also, Morne STeyn will have his first underwhelming year. THey'll start well but fade.
Lions - Should be interesting with the new talent, that will at least help them beat the Cheetahs.
CHeetahs - Not enough depth but lots of eyes will be focused on Brussow and Smith, and while they're great players, will need lots of rest.

Aus
Waratahs - too strong and too much depth, while not greatly superior to the Reds, have more than enough to go the long haul.
Reds - Like stormers, expect same attacking flair but are easier to defend against than the blue hurricane.
Brumbies - Toss up between them and rebels, brumbies definitely not as strong as they use to be but can still cause upsets.
Rebels - Unknown but decent squad, be interesting
Force - Poor poor force, like Highlanders, lacking that extra bit to go farther.

I think what many are forgetting is that the season is going to be longer and the squad depth is going to be tested with rotation and extra travel and games, especially for those teams looking to make the Finals but i'll expect we'll see some good fast rugby from everyone, except maybe the Bulls.

SA
1 Sharks - best depth in SA and the only Bokke to be rested will be in the front row
where Bismarck and John can swap round with Burden on the bench and Herbst and van Staden are more than able to do the job should Beast or Jannie be rested.
2 Bulls - Bulls and Stormers will be neck on neck but we might get found out WRT depth in the forwards
3 Stormers - depth is the major concern
4 Cheetahs - Still have the Lions' number IMO. If their defense out wide can hold they could be good value for an upset or two at Bloem.
5 Lions - On the up but still will struggle to avoid going bottom of the table overall. Next year might be a different ballgame, though if they can keep the momentum.

Aus
1 Waratahs - Have the backs now and the confidence to play off of the work done up front. No weaknesses. Burgess is an underrated halfback. Solid centers and an amazing back 3 in Beale, mitchell and Turner. Forwards have always been competitive.
2 Reds - Dangerous in a loose game but need to find consistency this year if they want to push further. They won't take the likes of the Crusaders, Bulls and Stormers off guard again.
3 Brumbies - not the force in super rugby of past years but well equiped take anyone down who don't pitch to play a tough game.
4 Rebels - dark horse
5 Force - too thinly spread for a looong season of rugby but they will take a scalp or four

NZ
1 Crusaders - a menacing line-up that would put fear into tier 1 national squads. Depth to boot and cope with the demands of rotation.
2 Hurricanes - one of the best backlines in the tournament and they know what works for them. Will struggle to make the play-offs though as they struggle against complete sides.
3 Blues - perrenial underachievers destined for another mid-table finish unless they manage to find the consistency that they haven't shown for years
4 Chiefs - a talented team with danger men out wide but too inconsistent and don't have the depth to compete for the play-offs
5 Highlanders - I have a feeling that they will push but lose a lot of close games

A little bias as living in Canterbury but

1) Crusaders
2)Hurricanes
3)Blues / Chiefs
5)Highlanders

Oh and Sumner to win the local Christchurch comp!!

Apart from saying I think the Crusaders top, and Highlanders bottom, I don't want to touch the NZ conference
Same with the Aussia one, part from the Rebels and Force due to finish bottom of the pile

1. Sharks "I cannot find the words that profess my love for thee"- Shakespear*
2. Bulls- The most outlandishedly supported team in SA will once again find some way of finish in a strong position, whether through refereeinf 'errors', a cheeky and completely underserved win etc...
3. Stormers- I really want them to finish ahead of the Bulls, much better and generally well behaved supporters that come to Durban (However they do like to smoke, even when their team is winning -stress my arse-)
4. Lions- New players and good coach, lots of forward depth
5. Cheetahs- Expect the young players to play their way into the Sharks set-up

Now now, there is a lot more reasoning to my selections, so to save time and prevent repetition, see the other South African's posts, they have pretty much said all that can be said

*I realise my quote isn't 100% correct, but if you want a reference it comes from King Lear, the very first chapter
Oh, and I think Shakespear is a ****

Latest posts