• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Your rugby hopes for 2010

• Thread starter snoopy snoopy dog dog
  • Start date
S

snoopy snoopy dog dog

I've seen this type of thread pop up on a couple of other websites and think it would work well here given the fact that TRF has posters from many different countries. So what are your rugby hopes (domestic, international, sevens or league) for the coming year?

Internationally:
More running rugby.

Georgia, Romania and Russia qualify for the World Cup thus giving the sport more of a presence in Eastern Europe.

Martin Johnson and Rob Andrew get 30 year binding contracts to remain with team England.

Argentina's entry into an expanded Tri Nations is ratified.

More opportunities for tier 2 countries to host tier 1 teams.

Sevens:
Brazil, Germany and Russia are the three nations bidding for the final hosting of the World Cup in 2013. The iRB are in an enviable position. Do they give the hosting rights to a country which will host the first Olympic tournament in 2016 thus giving the market a taste for the sport (Brazil), do they give it to an economic giant which is rapidly rising through the ranks (Germany) or does it go to a country which has put in place a pro league, is on the verge of securing significant government funding and is hopeful of qualifying for it's first XV a side world competition in 2011 (Russia)? Hopefully the iRB make the right choice - I'm not sure which way they should turn!

Putting my Irish hat on:
Ireland win the 6 Nations.

We pick up a victory during June against either NZ or Australia.

Beat NZ next November.

Jonny Sexton continues to develop into a quality 10.

Ronan O'Gara comes back into form - Ireland need him as a backup for the 2011 World Cup.

A replacement for John Hayes, any replacement, is found.

Stephen Ferris stays fit for more than 2 weeks at a time.

Brian O'Driscoll is cloned.

Cian Healy usurps Marcus Horan.

Sean Cronin becomes a viable alternative to Jerry Flannery and Rory Best.

Play a couple of away tests against 6 Nations "B" countries.

Wearing my Leinster hat:
Sign Sean Cronin from Connacht! Jackman looks a spent force and Fogarty is a very good backup but not quite international class.

When Joe Schmidt is appointed head coach, he gets Leinster's backline playing consistently attacking rugby like he's done with Clermont Auvergne.

Retain the coaching services of Jono Gibbes and especially Kurt McQuilkin.

Academy players Rhys Ruddock, Dominic Ryan, Brendan Macken, Ian McKinley and Andrew Conway establish themselves as viable members of the full squad.

Regain the Magners League playing sexy rugby.

Retain the Heineken Cup playing sexy rugby.

Get full houses at all games in the RDS leading to an increased capacity - it's been mooted that the capacity may rise to 24000+ with the renovation of the Anglesea Stand and increasing the size of the North and South Stands.

Bring in a new backup No.8 to prevent Jamie Heaslip being flogged week in, week out.

Other Irish provinces:
Ulster make 4 or 5 key additions (scrum half, second row, full back, backup flyhalf and props) and continue their resurrection from European also rans into contenders. Ian Humpheys develops some more consistency with the boot. If he does so, he could win international caps. Brian McLaughlin continus to trust his young players. Chris Henry becomes an international number 8. Tommy Bowe returns.

Munster lose the Heineken Cup and Magners League finals to Leinster! Felix Jones becomes an option for Declan Kidney. Donnacha Ryan pushes Donncha O'Callaghan for a starting place. Peter O'Mahony or Tommy O'Donnell push Alan Quinlan out of the team. Keith Earls settles on a position.

Connacht appoint Matt Williams as Director of Rugby with Eric Elwood as head coach in a structure which mirros that which Ulster currently employ (dr.Humphreys as de facto Director of Rugby and Brian McLaughlin as head coach concerned with picking the team). Williams is an outstanding organiser and talent recruiter - at Ulster he brought in Timoci Nagusa, Ian Humphreys, Cillian Willis, Tamaiti Horua, Robbie Diack, Dan Tuohy, Ed O'Donoghue and Andy Kyriacou on a shoestring budget and all (bar Horua) have been very good signings. Of his signings, only BJ Botha and perhaps Clinton Schifcofske would be out of the reach of Connacht's budget. Williams also gave Darren Cave, Ian Whitten and David Pollock regular game time while he converted Paddy Wallace and Tom Court successfully to full time inside centre and loosehead respectively. Isn't a boss who can run a team on a small budget while also developing players exactly what the westerners need?

Internatinally, I can't see much variation, so I'll just say "As Above" and save myself some time.

Wales

-We go into the 6 Nations without too many injury problems, (Byrne and Adam being abck today is certainly helping.) and win another Grand Slam, putting 40 points on England in the first game.

-We beat the All Blacks over the summer. And victory of the Springboks would be lovely, too.

-Ken Owens continues to develop and makes the Welsh No. 2 shirt his own by the autumn.

-Dan Biggar (Or even James Hook again) pushes Stephen Jones to the limit, leading to both players playing better.

-From the Williams boys: An in-form Shane breaks the 64-try record, Martyn reaches his 100th cap and continues to play well, and Gatland finaly picks Gareth, after him being the form hooker in Wales for a good 2 years now.

-Gav comes back.

-MORE TRIES.

Ospreys

-We manage to turn out 40-mintue performances into 80-minutes, and win the Heinkein Cup and/or Magners League.

-Tommy Bowe stays in Swansea.

-Stay roughly injury-free. (Unlikely!)

-Cai Griffths, Ryan Bevvington and Johnny Vaughaton never play again, and we sign another decent prop to cover for when Adam/Paul James/Duncan/Craig Mitchell are injured.

Blues

-Ben Blair doesn't go to France.

-They James Hook. He'd actually pas the ball out to Roberts, Shanklin, Halfpenny, ect., but still kick. Plus, if he wants to be playing 10, then he should go to the Blues where they desperatly want a 10.

-It looks like they'll be in the Challenge Cup next season. I actually hope this happens, as having less pressure on them allows the team to run more, take more chances, ect, and chances are they'd win it.

Scarlets

-They can get their first XV back to full strength. They've got a good first team, but absolutly no strength in depth. This is the XV they should be putting out:

Stoddart/Evans, M Jones, King, J Davis, S Lamont, S Jones, M Roberts, I Thomas, Owens/Rees, R Thomas/D Manu, L Reed, D Day, D Jones, S Easterby, D Lyons, no Fenby, no Preistland. They should play Lamont at wing, not centre, which is his better positon.

-Ken Owens gets into the Wales team, which would be good for him individualy, and therefor for the Scarlets team.

Dragons

-Keep on winning and playing the style they do.

-They actually do sign Lewis-Roberts as rumoured. They won't get Peel, and even then, I'd rather see more of Wayne Evans, and have Peel at the Blues or Scarlets. Ospreys have enough Scrum-Halfs.

-No too many big signings, but bring in a few Wales Internationals. If they aquire many more, then they'll lose the spirit of the Dragons, the only thing that has them playing as they are.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fa'atau82 @ Dec 28 2009, 11:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have one hope. That Rob Andrew gets f*cked by a Tiger.[/b]

He's spent the last 12 months <strike>being sucked off by</strike> sucking up to a tiger if that's counts.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DuncTheDoodle @ Dec 26 2009, 06:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Internatinally, I can't see much variation, so I'll just say "As Above" and save myself some time.

Wales

-We beat the All Blacks over the summer. And victory of the Springboks would be lovely, too.

Ospreys

-Tommy Bowe stays in Swansea.

-Stay roughly injury-free. (Unlikely!)

-Cai Griffths, Ryan Bevvington and Johnny Vaughaton never play again, and we sign another decent prop to cover for when Adam/Paul James/Duncan/Craig Mitchell are injured.[/b]
1. Yeah alright, pull the other one.
2. Tick!
3. Griffiths and Vaughton can do one, but I really like Bevington and hope we persist, and turn him into someone who can scrummage, cuz his work around the field is excellent. His try for Aberavon against Neath on Boxing day was incredible.

Just a more consistent performance from Wales and the Welsh regions (good consistency, not bad) would be nice.

An end to ever collapsing scrums, does it really have to take so long to get the ball back into play!

An end to the apparent need for grown up Pro Rugby players to mimic Pro-Wendyballers with the throwing the ball away or holding on to it for longer than is necessary to prevent a quick restart. Grow up and hand the ball to your opponent like a gentleman!

An England side showing some ambition to run with the ball.

Exeter Chiefs in the GP for a season.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ExeChief @ Dec 28 2009, 07:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
An end to the apparent need for grown up Pro Rugby players to mimic Pro-Wendyballers with the throwing the ball away or holding on to it for longer than is necessary to prevent a quick restart. Grow up and hand the ball to your opponent like a gentleman![/b]

A brilliant point; and to add to that, the whole diving on the floor and milking it attitude when someone takes you out off the ball or after you've just released a kick etc.
Man up!

Wales: win the Six Nations (minimum: the ***le), win a game in the Summer and beat two of the SH teams in the Autumn.

Scarlets: to rise from the bottom of the Magners table and at the very least acquire Heineken Cup qualification again.

Ospreys: make the Heineken Cup final. They're the only Welsh side with a hope in Europe, and they have the squad to make it that far.

Now watch, fellow posters, as Fate proves itself a fine purveyor of irony and none of these hopes come to fruition. *******.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Dec 28 2009, 11:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ExeChief @ Dec 28 2009, 07:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
An end to the apparent need for grown up Pro Rugby players to mimic Pro-Wendyballers with the throwing the ball away or holding on to it for longer than is necessary to prevent a quick restart. Grow up and hand the ball to your opponent like a gentleman![/b]

A brilliant point; and to add to that, the whole diving on the floor and milking it attitude when someone takes you out off the ball or after you've just released a kick etc.
Man up!
[/b][/quote]

I forgot that one, that's a really good point. I hope some of these players hang their heads in shame when they see the replays of their antics; hopefully their team mates will have a word.

See northampton take top spot eventually from Saracens.
See Saints get 1 trophy this season.

Stadium Development to get the thumbs up.
My rugby hopes for myself is too improve my stamina,( continuous scrumming leaves me flagging behind)
One last one, score a try. This i came close on many occasions next year im going to get one!

Richmond:

To find some money so we can compete with the semi-pro teams in our league who are getting promoted.

For several of our ex-youths currently on Premiership club books to go on loan to us rather than our rivals. In other words, for all of our players not to go to Wasps where Ian McGeechan sends them off to bloody London Scottish.

Saracens:

For Schalk Brits to make a commitment to spend the rest of his entire life at the club.

For Andy Saull to be given some credit where it is definitely due.

To stay at the top of the league and obviously win the ***le. At the very least a playoff place and HC qualification would be lovely.

For Noah Cato to score hundreds of tries.

England:

For no one except the following to be injured come the 6 Nations: Tim Payne, Louis Deacon, Matt Banahan.

For Toby Flood to play 10 ahead of Wilkinson.

For Riki Flutey to play 12 and not Geraghty.

For Ugo Monye never to play anywhere other than the wing.

For Chris Ashton or someone else young and exciting like Cato to be blooded successfully.

A win against Wales. This can start the ball rolling, because we've got Ireland at home too. The French are beatable anywhere and Scotland and Italy are ****. Alternately, we'll lose at home to Wales and Ireland, away to Scotland but beat France and Italy because we always do. But obviously the former is my wish.

A win on tour in Australia, and a positive Autumn.

General rugby:

For rucking to be brought back.
For the ELV 22 kicking rule to be scrapped.
No red cards to be given for high tackles, because they all seem to be given to Islanders.
A 6 month ban for Burger style gouging. A 1 month ban for Dupuy style gouging. No ban but heavy fines for drug abuse. A 2 year ban for performance enhancing drugs. These bans to be enforced CONSISTENTLY.
For players from England, Wales, Argentina and South Africa to be able to see that when there is an overlap, crashball is not the best option.
For Scotland and Italy to actually create overlaps.

For a knockout, HC style, Southern hemisphere competition involving Argentinian and Pacific/ Japanese clubs.
For a Four nations home-and-away League in the SH, involving Argentina.

The scrapping of the anglo-welsh cup, to be replaced by healthy breaks in the fixture list.
For a world club final.

not too much to ask...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Dec 29 2009, 03:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Nah, can't be. Bullitt doesn't even come close to nearly scoring a try[/b]

I'll have you know that in my pomp I was a winger of the Ben Cohen standard!

I scored two then got fat and gave up...

Latest posts