• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Your Rugby-Related Claims To Fame

D

DuncTheDoodle

Can be almost anything, within reason.

Mine? My mum's cousin has two caps for Scotland, and currently is Forward coach at an Itallian club, (All names are currently beyond me), and I'm also the great-great-great-great (I belive that's the right number) nephew of Sir Tasker Watkins, Welsh war hero and ex-WRU president, who is about to have a bronze statue of him put up in the Millenium Stadium. I never actually met him, but my dad has.

Also: I was almost walked into Duncan Jones.

All of those are genuinly true, as far as I know. At least, i think it was Duncan Jones...

My only ones are from school. They are:

- I was in the same High School as the son of Springbok legend Danie Gerber. We played on the same team.

- While on a rugby tour, i played alongside Chilleboy Ralapelle in representing the province at the Coca Cola Craven Week.

- Here are some players i played against at school level:

Pierre Spies
Chilliboy Ralapelle
JP Pieterson

Don't think there were any others. But yeah.

When I was 10 I exchanged greetings with Graham Henry on the Gnoll field after a Neath match and thought it was greatest thing evaarrrr :D This was when he was still the 'Great Redeemer'.
Also been almost run over by Shane Williams driving out of the Arms Park.
Met Dan Carter and Jimmy Cowan outside Cardiff Castle last November (my greatest moment in life :) )
Shouted my best wishes to the entire Ospreys squad whilst driving passed Llandarcy training ground before the Munster quarter final last year, which received many waves. In hindsight, an ill-fated move. :(
My favourite is my mate's story about dancing with Charlotte Church in a club in Bridgend when he was hammered. Gavin Henson then shows up behind him, so my mate crouches down, looks up at him and says 'Henson. Run at me!'
The response... 'f***ing cock.' And he walks away with Charlotte.
:p I love Gav.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Jul 20 2009, 11:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
My only ones are from school. They are:

- I was in the same High School as the son of Springbok legend Danie Gerber. We played on the same team.

- While on a rugby tour, i played alongside Chilleboy Ralapelle in representing the province at the Coca Cola Craven Week.

- Here are some players i played against at school level:

Pierre Spies
Chilliboy Ralapelle
JP Pieterson

Don't think there were any others. But yeah.[/b]
And you're still alive??!!! :eek:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Jul 20 2009, 01:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
And you're still alive??!!! :eek:[/b]

The bigger they are...

But yeah, actually played against him 4 years in a row. I could never catch him, as he was a winger, and was one of the fastest players in Schools rugby at that time. Tackled him a few times though. JP Pieterson was an interesting one. He was super tall compared to all of us, and every time he got the ball he scored. We still beat his team every year, but by the last time we played them, we had to seriously mark him.

Spies was a freak though. We didn't know how to handle him. We all knew he would play for South Africa one day.

Hem Hem...I once stood behind Jason Robinson and Jamie Noon at an airport before the world cup. FACT. :p

My Great, Great grandfather won 6 caps for Scotland, and they won none of the matches he played in.

Nothing new there then. ;)

Also another for me - my P.E teachers in school were Les Keen, who won a few caps for Wales on the wing; and Clayton Thomas who was an international referee at the time. He ran the line in the England/NZ game in 2001(?) I think and gave the try for Dan Luger in the corner (when it was actually out), and England went on to win.
He was not a popular character with us on the Monday morning!!

lol! I forgot to mention the most important one! I was roommates with current Lions 15 Louis Ludik in the commune i stayed in while studying.

Was at school with Berrick Barnes, played Rugby with Rodney Davies at school and against James O'Connor. My dad is Chris Latham's solicitor.
I know most of the Reds players. That's about it.
The club I play for all the Mcleans (the Wallaby Clan) played for them, and they coach us still, we had a teacher at school with like 0.5 caps for Australia.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (InsaneAsylum @ Jul 20 2009, 04:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I own a rugby ball[/b]

unsuccessful_troll.jpg

School thing again.

They were all about 6 (or more) years ahead of me but Donnocha O'Callaghan, Tomas O'Leary and Frank Murphy came down to the junior school when they were in the senior team to say hello.

Met Stringer, and Rog and Anthony Foley at the release of amunster rugby thing. It was the proper release with chicken wings and stuff. Yummers.

Donal Lenihan (former Irish Captain and 3 times Lions tourist) was watching the Emerging Springboks vs Lions match in the same pub as me.

And Rog lives about 5 minutes driving from me...and Dougy Howlett somewhere around there too.

I see Rog in the supermarket aswell sometimes. Next time I see him I'll probably yell vicious abuse...

I told George Smith he was small after the Brumbies game, at which point he laughed and said people always say he's shorter than they expect.

- I had a touch-rugby training session with Paul Diggin
- I once played touch against Dylan Hartley. And was shown a clean pair of heals. While he was bare foot. :ph34r:
- I spilled my beer down Carlos Spencers leg
- Bruce Reihana knows my name. Or at least, he did!
- Matt Lord is the Landlord of one of my friends
- Paul Grayson once told me that goal kicking isn't a good idea for me
- I used to use the actual Saints 2000 HEC semi-final shirts as my club playing shirts
- I use the same supermarket as most of Saints playing squad
- Saints often have training sessions in the park opposite my living room window

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Jul 20 2009, 11:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Gavin Henson then shows up behind him, so my mate crouches down, looks up at him and says 'Henson. Run at me!'
The response... 'f***ing cock.' And he walks away with Charlotte.
:p I love Gav.[/b]
I love your friend.

... Though I TOTALLY see why you love Gavin.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Jul 20 2009, 02:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I see Rog in the supermarket aswell sometimes. Next time I see him I'll probably yell vicious abuse...[/b]
:lol:

For me:

My dad goes to the gym with Adam Jones.

...And that's it.

- Played at school level with new England Saxon Courtney Lawes, who was in the year below me.

- Will from September be working at a school with Ian Vass, current Bedford, ex-Northampton and Stade Francais.

- Tim Rodber used to live opposite my Aunt and Uncle.

- Found myself dancing next to Dylan Hartley, Stephen Myler, Joe Ansbro and a number of other Saints in a club.

- Once got an angry glare from Paul Grayson for an ill-advised flick of a beer mat.

- Got a funny look from Brian O'Driscoll at a press conference.

- Paul Diggin was in 6th form when I started at the bottom end of the same school.

- Once had a snog and a fumble with Simon Danielli's cousin in the local branch of Walkabout.

- Was coached by the man who claimed to have made Steve Thompson the player he was.

- My Dad has played golf with Nick Beal.

That's about as many tenuous links to famous rugby players as I can think of at the moment.

Most of my family come from the same town/valley as Shane Williams, and it's very likely that he knows of my family name (we used to own a couple of cafe's in the town that were pretty popular) and my dad has been out for drinks in the local pub with his dad :p My little cousin also plays for Shane's old clubs u11's or u13's (Amman United RFC I think)
Tom Shanklin lives just up the road from me, and I've talked to to him at some local Fair thing.
I've had a 5 second conversation in Welsh with Dwyane Peel.
Ray Gravell waved at me when I was about 3.
Dunno if this counts but I've played rugby against Aaron Ramseys (ex-Cardiff City footballer who's playing for Arsenal now) younger brother.
That's it pretty much :p

well if we're moving on to other sports when i was younger i saw Geoffrey Boycott outside the Singapore Cricket Club, and my dad prompted me to ask for an autograph. We went up to him and asked for an autograph, he seemed happy enough to offer it and asked me whether i played and some other cricket related players. I had no idea who this man was and as we walked off i said in a louder voice than i meant 'who the hell is Geoffrey Boycott?' He looked very insulted and stormed off.

Latest posts