• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Your Rugby-Related Claims To Fame

Went to same school as Dan Watchurst (Wales u20's) prop.

Thats all i think.....I'm so boring.

I know Jérome Thion quite well, his dad is one of my dad's best friends. He used to babysit me when I was a kid (I'm now 22)
Last year I organized a student sevens tournament in my ingeneer school in Paris in which the students sevens teams of Pretoria, Oxford, Bristol, Buenos Aires and the national selections of China, France played. So I probably got drunk with some future springboks, pumas and bleus.
Also during this tournament there was a conference in which Pierre Villepreux and Pierre Berbizier participated. Not even sure you guys know who they are :lol:
Agustin Pichot was supposed to come but he finally wasn't able, but during the preparation I spoke to him on the phone a few times and even met him after a training with the Racing Metro.
Oh and I shook hands with Olivier Magne when he played at clermont, he was like my favorite player at that time.

Yup, not much but that's all I've got.....

I've met John Inverdale and did a quick intro on tv for him at a 7's event, and i am also related to Muliufi Salanoa (samoa captain) through my marriage lol

My mum taught Conrad Smith at kindergarden and I went to the same primary school as him (albeit at different times). I go to school with Jayden Hayward's younger brother. I've met Dan Carter and Tana Umaga and have Graham Henry's birthday wishes on the back of a hot chip container (courtesy of my drunk brother) along with Kevin O'Neill's birthday wishes on the back of my brother's now lost drivers license.

I also played against Kendra Cocksledge, who is a halfback for the Black Ferns.

My biggest claim to fame was playing in the last game to take place in the old landsdowne. We were playing the Landsdowne club and their other pitches were in use so they threw us on there. Was about two weeks after the last stand game or something. We lost as I remember but it was cool as!

I'm mates with Lelia Masaga's older brothers and we all went to the same school but to be honest he was no superstar back then because he was only about 12 or 13 plus he had a long ponytail and looked like a girl.

I also worked nighshift at the meatworks with Jason Eaton just before he become and All Black.

I'm related to Rua Tipoki never meet him thou but he's my mums nephew the only way I found out was because he attended my grandfathers funeral and she was telling us who was there and she mentioned his name not knowing he was famous.

I was invited to a training day with four Wallabies (Rogers, Lyons, Vickerman, Elsom) at the Olympic Stadium and as the only person there who played for a club, I was used in all the examples, so I've been lifted in a lineout by Vickerman and Lyons, had Elsom pass me an inside ball, and hooked a ball in a scrum fed by Mat Rogers. Then we had a touch game and I scored a try, so I've scored a try at the Olympic Stadium in Sydney. :D

I was the translater/coordinator for the Fiji team at the U20 WC in Japan. I'm a good friend of all the staff and players, which include Epeli Natuivau, the forward coach and former international tight head prop (played in the 99 WC), and also happens to be the most massive person I have ever met. Also I am now friend with some future Fiji internationals.
Also I had a nice chat with Philippe Sella during the pool games as he was France Team Manager.

When I lived in Paris I used to cross Pieter De Villiers and Olivier Brouzet in the streets close to my home. I also saw Parisse's missus. She was hawt.

That's about it.

Organised Jonah Lomu to come to our school while he was visiting school, I shook his hand and got a few photos of him. I also tricker treated Christian Cullen's house and met him which was AWSOME. I got all signitures from the 1999 All Blacks squad personally, and i said at the time to Jeff Wilson "Who is Jeff Wilson?" which is sort of embaressing. Other then that, I met Tana Umaga in a super market and I met Jimmy Gopperth at a swimming pool...it counts...My mom helped teach Norm Hewett for dancing with the stars, and I met him. No relatives that are of rugby significance though, I have just been lucky on a few occasions.

My cousin is a flyhalf for worcester warriors (graduated from the academy this season)

Last edited by a moderator:
Played for the same club as Wasps youngsters Dominic Waldouck, Joe Simpson and Hugo Ellis. They were 2 agegroups above and one of our tours to Nottingham basically involved me and 4 others from my agegroup staying with them... They had a fight with their big rivals Rosslyn Park on the last night, whose team included Danny Cipriani and Mark Odejobi.

Joe Simpson's brother was in my team (imo a better player than Joe) and I played golf with him quite a bit. Hugo Ellis' brother Arthur was in my team and has played for England U20s. My dad and his dad are big friends.

I played against George Lowe (inside centre for Cobham) more times than I care to remember. He's now wing for England U20 and the best player I ever played against.

I've played with Will East who captained the England Schoolboys side last year, and is in Wasps Academy. I played against Chris York who I think is in England's agegroup setup.

Dave Rollit (ex England player and father of Eben) coached me a bit at school.

I worked with a relative of Tom Williams (I think he was her dad's godson or something). She's friends with Ugo Monye and Dave Strettle.

Shaun Edwards' kids go to my old school, I've seen him driving around outside it a bit.

think that's it...

I have drank the same sort of energy drinks that most of the big name players have :p :D :lol:

I've got a rugby ball that was signed by some of the under 21 Springboks a few years ago (think it was in 2002, I was 14 at the time), guys like Schalk Burger, Derick Hougaard ect...

We (Barberton High School) played Uplands College and the under 21 Springboks were there for a rugby clinic or something, haha I can remember all the girls that were there playing hockey and netball all went crazy when they saw "liefling" Derick Hougaard :D

my mates brother is best friends with Andrew Trimble and he comes to Christmas every year. Also played against half of the USA backline in 7s. Oh i forgot got a ride to a bar in Porthcawl by one of the Ospreys Second rows but forgot his name not a starter would of remembered him then.

I met the Scotland rugby squad in departures at Jo'Burg airport a couple of years ago. I had a bush hat on, and was slightly the worse for wear being thung over tired and tipsy all at once. The Scotland lads started to extract the urine about my hat, so I politely told them to leave me alone. One or more of them replied with the usual "don't you know who we are?" sort of bull. I replied that yes I knew who they were, (in no part to do with them all wearing Scotland tracksuits!) and that having watched them get stuffed by both France and South Africa over a few weeks, I knew both who they were, and what they were .........................cr@p!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SaintsFan Webby @ Jul 21 2009, 02:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
- Once had a snog and a fumble with Simon Danielli's cousin in the local branch of Walkabout.[/b]
Did he dazzle you beforehand by boasting about his famous relation? Sucked in by the "glamour" of sport.

I asked the Iceland RFU for a call up to the national squad. Still waiting for a response. No biggie - I'm pretty sure they can't afford my talent.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (roadtogundagai @ Jul 24 2009, 11:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I met the Scotland rugby squad in departures at Jo'Burg airport a couple of years ago. I had a bush hat on, and was slightly the worse for wear being thung over tired and tipsy all at once. The Scotland lads started to extract the urine about my hat, so I politely told them to leave me alone. One or more of them replied with the usual "don't you know who we are?" sort of bull. I replied that yes I knew who they were, (in no part to do with them all wearing Scotland tracksuits!) and that having watched them get stuffed by both France and South Africa over a few weeks, I knew both who they were, and what they were .........................cr@p!![/b]
hah cheeky!

I've been told I look like Piri Weepu but I don't know if it's people being cheeky just because I'm Maori and have a big ass and nose or if they're being genuine so that's a claim to fame lol sort of.

These aren't mine but my oldest brother gave Marc Ellis a hiding for not giving him some fish n chips back at school. Same brother won a competition and got to hang out with Mark "Bull" Allen for a weekend and he was cool too acted like they knew eachother from way back only because he found out we were from Wellington so everyone still thinks my oldest brother and him are old school mates lol.

My other brother played winger for Rongotai College and his halfback was former All Black Junior Tonu'u and there were a few other players of note too but can't remember their names.

Another one of my brothers played a final against Mana ages ago against Rodney So'oialo when he was playing fullback.

Saw Steve Tew Nzrfu boss at the local pub don't know what the hell he was doing in a $#@!hole like this lol.

Ex (thankfully) Scotland coach Frank Hadden was my PE teacher at school. He was an arrogant git. He was coach of the 1st fifteen while I was at school.
I sadly never made the firsts. Phil Godman was a few years below me as well.
Ex Scotland international Craig Joiner was a prefect for my year, Duncan Hodge and Jamie Mayer were also prefects.
Hardly exciting stuff though I did party with Pat Lam in legendery Edinburgh establishment Berties (RIP) the night he retired after playing Scotland
in the WC.

Latest posts