• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Your Rugby-Related Claims To Fame

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Jul 24 2009, 11:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SaintsFan Webby @ Jul 21 2009, 02:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
- Once had a snog and a fumble with Simon Danielli's cousin in the local branch of Walkabout.[/b]
Did he dazzle you beforehand by boasting about his famous relation? Sucked in by the "glamour" of sport.
[/b][/quote]

She (very much a she) didn't drop it into conversation until afterwards actually. Didn't need the in, but would have probably worked considering I was wearing a rugby shirt and had been watching Wales vs France when she started speaking to me.

I'd also watched 4 rugby matches back to back by that stage though, so probably couldn't take much more of anything to do with the sport that evening.

- Met Gareth Edawards on several occasions as he was working with my dads company when they sponsored Cardiff Blues.
- Coincidentally my housemate at uni is Gareth Edward's cousin!
- Been to loads of Bristol Rugby training sessions and met a lot of the team, mainly due to my best mates dad being high up in the heirarchy of the team.
- Played against loads of the past and present Bath, Bristol and Gloucester academy players who have various representive caps and probably will do in the future too.
- Was in a touch rugby team with Alistair McKibbin (If anyone knows who he is!) recently. He is also the grandfather of Roger Wilson who is back row for Northampton Saints though I never met him.
- Met and spoke to Mark Regan on many occasions.
- Jeremy Guscott's son used to play minis at one of my old clubs so I saw him occasionally.
- Alex Crockett and all his brothers are from my hometime and play for my local club, apart from Alex of course. Alex was training with us last Tuesday though!
- Eric Peters lived in my village and used to come to our tiny primary school to be the celebrity to open all sorts of things for the school. I must have got his autograph a million times!
- Sat next to Mark Graham, ex New Zealand League captian, at a hospitality dinner before the tri nations final at Elland Road. Had a very long and interesting chat with him! I didn't know who he was at the time but everyone was very excited about it so he must have been famous.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (best_fullback @ Jul 27 2009, 01:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
- Met Gareth Edawards on several occasions as he was working with my dads company when they sponsored Cardiff Blues.
- Been to loads of Bristol Rugby training sessions and met a lot of the team, mainly due to my best mates dad being high up in the heirarchy of the team.
- Played against loads of the past and present Bath, Bristol and Gloucester academy players who have various representive caps and probably will do in the future too.
- Was in a touch rugby team with Alistair McKibbin (If anyone knows who he is!) recently. He is also the grandfather of Roger Wilson who is back row for Northampton Saints though I never met him.
- Jeremy Guscott's son used to play minis at one of my old clubs so I saw him occasionally.
- Alex Crockett and all his brothers are from my hometime and play for my local club, apart from Alex of course. Alex was training with us last Tuesday though!
- Eric Peters lived in my village and used to come to our tiny primary school to be the celebrity to open all sorts of things for the school. I must have got his autograph a million times!
- Sat next to Mark Graham, ex New Zealand League captian, at a hospitality dinner before the tri nations final at Elland Road. Had a very long and interesting chat with him! I didn't know who he was at the time but everyone was very excited about it so he must have been famous.[/b]

Where did you meet mark regan?

My club's U7s agegroup a year or so ago contained a Dallaglio, a Leonard, and a Lynagh. What a touchline debate you could have!

I played a touch rugby tournament game against the guy who acts as Lukas from 7de Laan... That is all.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I met the entire 2001 Stormers team while on rugby tour. Skinstad, De Kock, Percy, Barry, all those WP fools. LOL. Skinstad and De Kock were awesome though. Springbok & Stormers player Charl Marais was our personal tour guide around Cape Town for a week. Pretty awesome.
Also got a signed jersey from the 2005 Sharks team, Nico Breedt's actually jersey he played in, signed personally for me after I fractured a vertebrae due to a late spear tackle. Yeah, I was that good ;)

I lifted the Wales-Australlia cup the other day, while at the Millenium Stadium. That was pretty awesome.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Jul 28 2009, 02:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (best_fullback @ Jul 27 2009, 01:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
- Sat next to Mark Graham, ex New Zealand League captian, at a hospitality dinner before the tri nations final at Elland Road. Had a very long and interesting chat with him! I didn't know who he was at the time but everyone was very excited about it so he must have been famous.[/b]

Where did you meet mark regan?

My club's U7s agegroup a year or so ago contained a Dallaglio, a Leonard, and a Lynagh. What a touchline debate you could have!
[/b][/quote]

I met Mark Regan several times. He was always down at Clifton Rugby Club (who are below Div 3) watching the players because Bristol would put out teams against them in friendlies. Ive seen players such as Luke Eves and the Arscott brothers played in that fixture when they were younger. He also did a fair bit of scouting so now and again we would see him at random games like Plymouth v New Forest making notes on players, and we would go over and have a chat.

In a previous job I regularly serviced Rory Underwood's flying kit and my wife's uncle is president of Camborne RFC...does that count? :)

My next door neighbour played in the same front row as Brian Moore during their club time, and presented him with his first cap (Not sure whether it was international or just for the club or something.)

Yesterday, whilst at my grandparents house, I looked out the window to see a chap throwing a Rugby ball to his son. My grandad then stopped and went "You see that man there..." I nodded and he said "He has six caps for Wales." I've since looked him up and he only had two, but all the same. Glenn George is his name.

The previous day, I spotted Jamie Roberts in a suit drinking champaigne at the opening of some new shop in Cardiff.

I bet everyone reading this is amazed, no?

Yesterday at the Bledisloe I met John Larkham, John Eales, Joe Roff and Tim Horan. Although I don't remember because I was drunk...

I'm vaguely related to Eric Lidell (Chariots of Fire and he played wing for Scotland). I think the link is he is by great great great great grandfathers great nephew, or something along those lines.

Pretty damn impressive, eh?

Edit: And I knew a Gareth Rees who apparently played for Wales. He'd be about 50 now, and he was a back. Don't know anymore about him.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Jul 28 2009, 04:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I played a touch rugby tournament game against the guy who acts as Lukas from 7de Laan... That is all.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I met the entire 2001 Stormers team while on rugby tour. Skinstad, De Kock, Percy, Barry, all those WP fools. LOL. Skinstad and De Kock were awesome though. Springbok & Stormers player Charl Marais was our personal tour guide around Cape Town for a week. Pretty awesome.
Also got a signed jersey from the 2005 Sharks team, Nico Breedt's actually jersey he played in, signed personally for me after I fractured a vertebrae due to a late spear tackle. Yeah, I was that good ;)[/b]

Woah, have you been able to play since?

I had a chat to Percy and Luke Watson after a Stormers game earlier this year in Christchurch. It was in town and I can't really remember what was said

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Charles @ Nov 1 2009, 02:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yesterday at the Bledisloe I met John Larkham, John Eales, Joe Roff and Tim Horan. Although I don't remember because I was drunk...[/b]
So drunk you couldn't differentiate between John Larkham and Stephen Larkham? ;)

Found out my aunty's nephew is Luke McAlistair. My aunty and his old lady are cousins but I'm not really a fan but be alright to meet him I guess but I'd probably want to punch him in da face because the chicks reckon he's good looking but I think he's all cake.

I remember seeing a few of the Auckland Rugby players a few years back at St Lukes Shopping Mall in Auckland there was Tasesa Lavea, Brad Mika, Isaia Toeava, David Smith and a few others eating Mc D's didn't wanna say hello thou because I'm pretty serious like that when it comes to opposition teams silly I know but that's just how I am.

I saw Christian Cullen earlier this year cruising through Paraparaumu in his car with must of been his mrs who looked pretty damn fine unless it was his flippin sister.

Sam Doyle former Nz Maori player lives and is from here in Otaki I think he started playing again last season but probably since retired from Rugby.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jawmalawm24 @ Nov 2 2009, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Found out my aunty's nephew is Luke McAlistair. My aunty and his old lady are cousins but I'm not really a fan but be alright to meet him I guess but I'd probably want to punch him in da face because the chicks reckon he's good looking but I think he's all cake.

I remember seeing a few of the Auckland Rugby players a few years back at St Lukes Shopping Mall in Auckland there was Tasesa Lavea, Brad Mika, Isaia Toeava, David Smith and a few others eating Mc D's didn't wanna say hello thou because I'm pretty serious like that when it comes to opposition teams silly I know but that's just how I am.

I saw Christian Cullen earlier this year cruising through Paraparaumu in his car with must of been his mrs who looked pretty damn fine unless it was his flippin sister.

Sam Doyle former Nz Maori player lives and is from here in Otaki I think he started playing again last season but probably since retired from Rugby.[/b]

That is ridiculously "silly". Support your team and appreciate talent. You can be a loyal fan without being a prick about it.

- cousin with both Rokocoko (from my father's side) and Sivivatu (my mother's side).
- former Blues player and current Fiji 7s coach, Iliesa Tanivula is my uncle.
- played in the same school 1st XV as current ABs Liam Messam & Mike Delany ..... Stephen Setephano (Otago & Highlanders) and Jerry Meafou (Manu Samoa).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Juggernaut @ Nov 2 2009, 05:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
- cousin with both Rokocoko (from my father's side) and Sivivatu (my mother's side).
- played in the same school 1st XV as current ABs Liam Messam & Mike Delany ..... Stephen Setephano (Otago & Highlanders) and Jerry Meafou (Manu Samoa).[/b]
I heard that Joe Rokocoko is cousins with Joeli Vidiri, related to him or is that Rok's other side?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Juggernaut @ Nov 2 2009, 05:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
- played in the same school 1st XV as current ABs Liam Messam & Mike Delany ..... Stephen Setephano (Otago & Highlanders) and Jerry Meafou (Manu Samoa).[/b]

The Rotorua team that drew the final?

Latest posts