• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Your Rugby-Related Claims To Fame

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Nov 2 2009, 11:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GazzaJAnimal @ Aug 9 2009, 05:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In a previous job I regularly serviced Rory Underwood[/b]
Nobody else find that amusing?
[/b][/quote]
:lol: Didn't pick up on it, but it did give me quite a chuckle now you point it out.

On another note I saw Richie McCaw, however on further inspection it was just someone who looked like Richie McCaw. However I did see Daniel Carter, I was watching a game on the television when i spotted him, he was kicking the penalties...on another note, most of the Hurricanes live in the same city as I do....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Nov 2 2009, 06:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Juggernaut @ Nov 2 2009, 05:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
- cousin with both Rokocoko (from my father's side) and Sivivatu (my mother's side).
- former Blues player and current Fiji 7s coach, Iliesa Tanivula is my uncle.
- played in the same school 1st XV as current ABs Liam Messam & Mike Delany ..... Stephen Setephano (Otago & Highlanders) and Jerry Meafou (Manu Samoa).[/b]
I heard that Joe Rokocoko is cousins with Joeli Vidiri, related to him or is that Rok's other side?
[/b][/quote]

That's Roks other side..

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danger @ Nov 2 2009, 07:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Juggernaut @ Nov 2 2009, 05:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
- played in the same school 1st XV as current ABs Liam Messam & Mike Delany ..... Stephen Setephano (Otago & Highlanders) and Jerry Meafou (Manu Samoa).[/b]

The Rotorua team that drew the final?
[/b][/quote]

No, this was in 2000. We bombed out in the Top 32. This was also my final year at school along with Delany & Meafou.

The side that drew the final was in 2002 and had Messam, Setephano, Willie Ripia (Taranaki), Vili Waqaseduadua (now with Brive and also played for North Harbour & the Highlanders).

As a side note, Craig Newby was 2 years ahead of me in school.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Juggernaut @ Nov 2 2009, 06:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
- cousin with both Rokocoko (from my father's side) and Sivivatu (my mother's side).

Hey Juggernaut

Do you know Osea Umuumulovo , the U20 coach ?

Due to the fact that Argentinian Rugby is amateur, I've had the chance to come across and become friends with many players.

- Juan Hernandez: I used to watch him play in Deportiva Francesa 14 years ago (I was 7). Ironically, back then he was an average player with rather inconsistent performances. Then he moved to Córdoba for 1 year (and played in La Tablada RC), and when he came back... wow. He seemed like a totally different player. It would seem that all he needed was a little motivation.

Hernandez's sister, Maripi, coaches hockey teams in my sister's club, so I've met Juani and his wife María Emilia in some asados and parties. He's extremely shy, and enjoys Philosophy.

- Agustín Pichot: I am yet to know of a rugby player here who has never met Ficha. The guy's everywhere. You can see him visiting all clubs, conducting gatherings with U10 teams, collaborating with several projects, etc. I had the pleasure to attend the party after his retirement match, and it was totally epic (despite Maradona's sudden decision of joining up). Ficha is always on MSN and you can always mail him inquiring about your doubts or problems. Again, I'm not special for having it... just imagine that he gives out his personal info to whoever gets to talk to him. :huh:

- Manuel Contepomi: This is the only Puma I am friends with. Mainly because my father is part of the Newman directive committee, so along with Manuel and Felipe they've coordinated hundreds of events in the last years. He now works at the club coaching underage teams, so I get to see him a lot (I am currently coaching the 10-12 year old forwards). He's a shy and nice guy, doesn't talk a lot unless it's about Rugby, but whenever he opens his mouth you can appreciate his wisdom and humility. I've met Felipe several times as well, but he always comes down here in a hurry.

- Hugo Porta: same as with Pichot. This legend is everywhere. He attends as many games as possible, and if you're lucky enough to catch him training at Banco Nación Club, you might get invited to join him for some touch rugby. I don't need to say how talented Porta is. His legs are not powerful anymore but his distribution and kicking remain as classy as in his prime. I like how he makes everything so easy on the pitch, even while facing younger players.

- Patricio Noriega: Total monster. I first met him when he was coaching Hindú Club in 2007. He conducted a forward training session involving Newman, Lomas, Hindú and Los Tilos. During one of the drills he tackled me... and what a tackle that was! No wonder he was one of the best props around.

- Rodrigo Roncero: Another monster. I first came across him during my holidays in France. My brother screamed, "look, that's Rorro!", and I was like... "Rorro... riding a scooter? Nah man". Then I witnessed how that stocky figure turned out to be one of our props (poor scooter :p). One week later we found out where he lived and we caught him off guard for a chat and some pictures. Then he asked if we knew how to properly cook asado because Parisse was an awful cooker. :lol:

I took some pictures and talked to some Pumas during the WC, but nothing special.

Oh, and another thing. In 2005 the Boks came to Argentina, and I saw the whole squad walking out of the Sheraton Hotel, towards an italian restaurant across the street. And I was UTTERLY annoyed to see that nobody seemed to know who all those big guys were. I bet the Boks thought exactly the same. Football... duh.

As I am from one of the smaller Rugby Nations, i have 19 full caps for my country. So, i played alongside and come up against some pretty well known players over the years - a number of Scottish internationals - Cameron Murray, Gavin Scott, Craig Joiner, Graham Shiel, to name a few. however my most recent famous opponent was 3 seasons ago, I played against matt banahan, shortly before his rise to the full England side. he was an incredible athlete, and that is clear from his performances over the last season or two.

I was in the a bar in Edinburgh before a Scotalnd Wales game, at the bar next to me was this well built man. The conversation went
me- jesus you look like Scott gibbs
him - I've heard that
me - no F££k me you look like Scott Gibbs
him - Really
Me - do you play yourself
him - a little
me - any good
him - not to bad
me - the name's Ian, whats your name big lad
him - SCOTT GIBBS

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stumpy17 @ Nov 11 2009, 12:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I was in the a bar in Edinburgh before a Scotalnd Wales game, at the bar next to me was this well built man. The conversation went
me- jesus you look like Scott gibbs
him - I've heard that
me - no F££k me you look like Scott Gibbs
him - Really
Me - do you play yourself
him - a little
me - any good
him - not to bad
me - the name's Ian, whats your name big lad
him - SCOTT GIBBS[/b]

I also played in a charity game against the Scottish Legends, Shaun Longstaff, Scott Hastings, Craig Joiner to name but a few

Met the entire NZ squad last friday outside the Hilton in Cardiff. Luke McAlister is MASSIVE!!!
Just as McCaw was going out of sight into the hotel we were shouting 'RICHIIIIEEE!!! COME BAAAAACK!!!', which no one found amusing, for some reason....
Also met Jimmy Cowan for the second time at Revs on the tuesday night. My opinion hasn't changed. He really is the most gormless ******* I think I've ever met.

You wouldn't happen to know a Javi Lanusse or a Eduardo Huber would you? They are friends of mine from Newman...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Juan VdS @ Nov 3 2009, 02:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Due to the fact that Argentinian Rugby is amateur, I've had the chance to come across and become friends with many players.

- Juan Hernandez: I used to watch him play in Deportiva Francesa 14 years ago (I was 7). Ironically, back then he was an average player with rather inconsistent performances. Then he moved to Córdoba for 1 year (and played in La Tablada RC), and when he came back... wow. He seemed like a totally different player. It would seem that all he needed was a little motivation.

Hernandez's sister, Maripi, coaches hockey teams in my sister's club, so I've met Juani and his wife María Emilia in some asados and parties. He's extremely shy, and enjoys Philosophy.

- Agustín Pichot: I am yet to know of a rugby player here who has never met Ficha. The guy's everywhere. You can see him visiting all clubs, conducting gatherings with U10 teams, collaborating with several projects, etc. I had the pleasure to attend the party after his retirement match, and it was totally epic (despite Maradona's sudden decision of joining up). Ficha is always on MSN and you can always mail him inquiring about your doubts or problems. Again, I'm not special for having it... just imagine that he gives out his personal info to whoever gets to talk to him. :huh:

- Manuel Contepomi: This is the only Puma I am friends with. Mainly because my father is part of the Newman directive committee, so along with Manuel and Felipe they've coordinated hundreds of events in the last years. He now works at the club coaching underage teams, so I get to see him a lot (I am currently coaching the 10-12 year old forwards). He's a shy and nice guy, doesn't talk a lot unless it's about Rugby, but whenever he opens his mouth you can appreciate his wisdom and humility. I've met Felipe several times as well, but he always comes down here in a hurry.

- Hugo Porta: same as with Pichot. This legend is everywhere. He attends as many games as possible, and if you're lucky enough to catch him training at Banco Nación Club, you might get invited to join him for some touch rugby. I don't need to say how talented Porta is. His legs are not powerful anymore but his distribution and kicking remain as classy as in his prime. I like how he makes everything so easy on the pitch, even while facing younger players.

- Patricio Noriega: Total monster. I first met him when he was coaching Hindú Club in 2007. He conducted a forward training session involving Newman, Lomas, Hindú and Los Tilos. During one of the drills he tackled me... and what a tackle that was! No wonder he was one of the best props around.

- Rodrigo Roncero: Another monster. I first came across him during my holidays in France. My brother screamed, "look, that's Rorro!", and I was like... "Rorro... riding a scooter? Nah man". Then I witnessed how that stocky figure turned out to be one of our props (poor scooter :p ). One week later we found out where he lived and we caught him off guard for a chat and some pictures. Then he asked if we knew how to properly cook asado because Parisse was an awful cooker. :lol:

I took some pictures and talked to some Pumas during the WC, but nothing special.

Oh, and another thing. In 2005 the Boks came to Argentina, and I saw the whole squad walking out of the Sheraton Hotel, towards an italian restaurant across the street. And I was UTTERLY annoyed to see that nobody seemed to know who all those big guys were. I bet the Boks thought exactly the same. Football... duh.[/b]

Once, during 2005, i got up extra early and watched the Lions play against New Zealand.
6am was too early to wake up, so i just recorded the rest.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Jul 20 2009, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
School thing again.

They were all about 6 (or more) years ahead of me but Donnocha O'Callaghan, Tomas O'Leary and Frank Murphy came down to the junior school when they were in the senior team to say hello.[/b]

Went to the same school. ;) They were about four or five years ahead of me.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
And Rog lives about 5 minutes driving from me...and Dougy Howlett somewhere around there too.[/b]

Me too.

Dougy wants a dog. My aunt has a dog. When Dougy goes walking and meets my aunt walking her dog, he asks if he can pet the dog.

Paul Burke was my PE teacher and rugby coach in secondary school.

Another aunt used to manage a café, a load of the Munster players used to go in there with their girlfriends. She always said Jim Williams was the nicest of them.

I dump tackled David Humphreys. I had a coaching session with with him, and I had to tackle him, but he spread his legs and wouldn't go down, so I grabbed one leg, lifted, and dumped him.

A good friend's brother is a newly signed player for Munster. I usually stick around with my friend and his father after matches and have a chat with him. The father has bought me many a pint and crisps, and just last week a battered sausage and chips. Despite having an up and coming rugby star for a brother, my friend used never watch the sport. I convinced him it was worth watching, now he hates Leinster.

I had a training session with Terry Kingston on scrumaging.

When the Australian team came to Ireland in around 1998 (I think) my school went to see them training. Afterwards the players were chatting to us, so myself and a friend asked what they get up to in the hotel, they said they played playstation. So we had good long chat about Jonah Lomu Rugby. Who were the best players, and what the best tactics were. Can't remember who any of them were though.

The Tongan rugby team were staying in a hotel opposite my school where I went for coffee. Stuck for seats in the café a few of them sat down next to us and we started chatting. Good blokes.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Nov 2 2009, 05:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I heard that Joe Rokocoko is cousins with Joeli Vidiri, related to him or is that Rok's other side?
[/b][/quote]

This is a ridiculous topic, Northern Hemisphere forum'ees can't possibly trump those from the South Sea Islands or NZ, cos they are all inter-related if you go back far enough !!

Our player John Ryder 'skinned' Nigel Redman in the line out when he was an England Colt playing for Weston Super Mare.
I sold Andy Robinson a dummy to knock his team out of the Somerset 7's
Played in the same side as Jeremy Guscott, could screw kick/drop goal/& side step off both feet, arrogant arse though.
Gareth Chilcott punched me when he played for Old Redcliffians.
Had a pee next to Rory underwood under the west stand, not much to shout about Rory.
Played against Italy U19's that included Francescato
Played in the same team as the brother of one of those lads from tears for fears - the curly haired one ! orzabel or something similar (cant be bothered to look it up)

nice memories - now coaching U11's , i hope they get as much enjoyment outta rugger as i have

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Nov 12 2009, 07:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Also met Jimmy Cowan for the second time at Revs on the tuesday night. My opinion hasn't changed. He really is the most gormless ******* I think I've ever met.[/b]

Thats a brave statement from his local nobody.

Lads, If you are from Cork, going to the same school as a rugby player is hardly an achievement, have any schools other than the big two ever produced an international? (Although nice to see some Cork players form outside the big two with players in the Ireland U18 squad)

You often see Munster players around the place, but my favourite story is from when I bumped into Donnacha O'Callaghan, he drives a sweet green and white VW Campervan!

i was having a picture with Andy Powell and it was taken by a news team - thankfully it wasn't shown

i walked past Jason Tovey and for the 1st time in my life didnt speak to him because there were these kids looking for him and they were going to mob him and then my mum turned around to him infront of all his friends and told him to speak to me cause i was too shy :S

Jason Tovey lives by me :L

cant think of any others

oh i was shown on Scrum V during the build up to Blues v Ospreys (apparantly) when i was talking to Leigh Halfpenny

Latest posts