TRF_Olyy

English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Sale
So we've hit the end of the regular season now (playoffs? pah! :p), how did your team do?

What were your pre-season predictions?
High point?
Low point?
Best player?
Best new signing?
Worst new signing?
What do you need to improve on?
Prediction for next year?

Last edited:
So, for me (and Sale Sharks)

I thought, pre-season, we'd qualify for HEC. I didn't think we'd get into the top 4, but thought we'd get 6th or maybe even 5th. This, obviously, didn't happen :p I feel the prediction is justified as, to my eyes, we'd improved on the side that had got to 6th previously.

High point? The win at home to Gloucester. After a terrible season to put a scoreline like that on a side like Gloucester was fantastic. Played like I thought we could/should.

Low point? There's been a few...Almost getting relegated/last in the table at Christmas/getting absolutely smashed by several sides.

Best player? I know I harp on about him but David Seymour. Man is an absolute machine, and gives absolutely everything for every second he's on the pitch, and his defensive work and work at the breakdown have saved us many times. Think he's one of the few players who can look back at this season and feel happy with the way he's played. Honourable mention to Kearnan Myall who I believe is the best lineout forward in England. Devastated to be losing him.

Best new signing: Dan Braid. Been outstanding - fantastic 7, fantastic leader/motivator and the side looks better 1-15 when he's playing.

Worst new signing: Richie Gray. He's just been poor for us - was the wrong kind of signing, to be fair. We've been bullied in the pack quite a lot in recent years and we needed a real enforcer/grunt work lock, not one like Gray. He was a luxury we couldn't afford and it showed.

What do we need to improve? The pack. We have some very good young forwards coming through, but when your front rows average age is 21 then it's not ideal going up against battle hardened 30yr olds! Ideally we need a scrummaging prop for either side of the scrum, but if Eifion Lewis-Roberts can get back on form (have a feeling he's been carrying an injury since he returned from Toulon) then sign one for the side of the scrum he's not focusing on (tighthead?). Set for backrowers and lock with the new signings/youth coming through.

Prediction for next season? I...don't know. As a minimum finish higher than this season - in an ideal world 5th or 6th. I think maybe lower mid, 8th or 9th perhaps.

Prediction at the start of the season: HEC semi and see what happened from there, this didn't happen obviously with a slow start in the first two rounds and getting shown up by Clermont.

High point: The improvement towards the end of the season has been good but ultimately I think a Pro 12 and Amlin double is needed to make a success out of the season. Also the growth of Ian Madigan into a classy looking player which leads on to the low point...

Losing Johnny Sexton, he'll be a huge loss as you'd expect from losing Europe's best 10 and it will take Madigan a few years if he is to ever catch-up, this and getting knocked out of the HEC.

Best signing: We didn't have many and no one stands out Goodman put in a few decent shifts, I think Gopperth will be good next year.

Worst signing: Michael Bent, he was never good enough and the IRFU should get a lot of criticism not Bent.

What do we need to improve? We need to find a good second row and try not to drop too much in performance with the loss of key players.

Prediction for next season? A HEC win, might be a bit hopeful but that's what the goal will be and the team is good enough.

This is probably packed with typos, I was on my phone.

Munster.

I suppose the Quarter Finals of HEC and the Semis of the Rabo were our preseason hopes. Also to blend in to the new and old and set Rob Penneys gameplan in to some structure.

High Point I suppose was the Quins game and how we finished our season with good hope for next year.

Low Point was without a doubt our mixed bag in the league and the lack of consistency.

Best Player for me I think Conor Murray (excluding game in Paris) has had a superb season but our backrow have been in magical form all season and all 3 Coughlan, POM and TOD deserve special mentions but anyone that followed Munster this past year and seen the progression of TOD can't argue he's been our best player for sure this year and really looks like he may inherit the 7 jersey for a long time yet.

Best new signing is hard. CJ has looked excellent but hasn't been tested. Laulala and Downey had slow starts but really were superb these last few month but if I were to pick 1 player who I think was only held back by injury Dougall had a superb start and always gave his everything. But as I said it hard to say any signing was superb and I cant pick a worst as they all had their moments.

Next year we have to build on alot. No excuses we should know our gameplans and be able to execute. Be able to switch between plans depending on the game. I think our set pieces were good and we have to be able to maintain that (maybe up it a bit if possible) and most certainly with all backs available get our backplay up to a level worthy of competing at this level. We have the quality of back but have to know how to use them. eg Downey is best used taking ball flat and DOC/POC will never sprint 50m down the wing so let's not park them as wide.

Prediction next year: Have to make knockout stage of Rabo no question. HEC QF with reevaluation at this stage has to be target although it hard to judge fully without draws for pools done

Prediction at start? 4th. I still think we'd have got there had it not been for the worst injury luck. Losing Alex Brown in the first game for the season, JSD 1/3 through, Olly Morgan never making it back from injury. Cowan, Hamilton, Ben Morgan, May and Henry Trinder lost for about half the season, our first and second choice tightheads injured at the same time for weeks and our scrum never recovered from it, Burns picking up a knock and having his kicking percentage plummet.
High point? Win vs. Saints. We beat the rest of the top 4 at various points, but Saints were the ones we beat away and by a 27-11 margin.

Low point? Loss vs. Sale. I still have no idea where that weak performance came from? Every other loss, Glos picked up a LBP in. To lose by more than 20 points and not even to a top 4 team, very odd.
Best player? Always JSD.
Best new signing? Sione Kalamafoni. Won fans' player of the season in his first season and was just generally immense.
Worst new signing? Drew Locke I guess? Still hasn't been played in the Premiership. Out of players that were involved, probably Martyn Thomas. Would be a wise idea for him to move to wing imo, suits his game much better.
What do you need to improve on? The set piece. Rucking, scrummaging, mauling, lineouts. Kvesic and Hudson are big signings in this respect. The front row feel like they aren't involved enough in the game at times.
Prediction for next year? 4th.

Last edited:
Prediction at the start of the season: HEC semi and see what happened from there, this didn't happen obviously with a slow start in the first two rounds and getting shown up by Clermont.

High point: The improvement towards the end of the season has been good but ultimately I think a Pro 12 and Amlin double is needed to make a success out of the season. Also the growth of Ian Madigan into a classy looking player which leads on to the low point...

Losing Johnny Sexton, he'll be a huge loss as you'd expect from losing Europe's best 10 and it will take Madigan a few years if he is to ever catch-up, this and getting knocked out of the HEC.

Best signing: We didn't have many and no one stands out Goodman put in a few decent shifts, I think Gopperth will be good next year.

Worst signing: Michael Bent, he was never good enough and the IRFU should get a lot of criticism not Bent.

What do we need to improve? We need to find a good second row and try not to drop too much in performance with the loss of key players.

Prediction for next season? A HEC win, might be a bit hopeful but that's what the goal will be and the team is good enough.

This is probably packed with typos, I was on my phone.

IRFU shouldn't get the criticism for Bent he was a Leinster signing from the beginning.

Prediction at start? 4th. I still think we'd have got there had it not been for the worst injury luck. Losing Alex Brown in the first game for the season, JSD 1/3 through, Olly Morgan never making it back from injury. Cowan, Hamilton, Ben Morgan, May and Henry Trinder lost for about half the season, our first and second choice tightheads injured at the same time for weeks and our scrum never recovered from it, Burns picking up a knock and having his kicking percentage plummet.
High point? Win vs. Saints. We beat the rest of the top 4 at various points, but Saints were the ones we beat away and by a 27-11 margin.

Low point? Loss vs. Sale. I still have no idea where that weak performance came from? Every other loss, Glos picked up a LBP in. To lose by more than 20 points and not even to a top 4 team, very odd.
Best player? Always JSD.
Best new signing? Sione Kalamafoni. Won fans' player of the season in his first season and was just generally immense.
Worst new signing? Drew Locke I guess? Still hasn't been played in the Premiership. Out of players that were involved, probably Martyn Thomas. Would be a wise idea for him to move to wing imo, suits his game much better.
What do you need to improve on? The set piece. Rucking, scrummaging, mauling, lineouts. Kvesic and Hudson are big signings in this respect. The front row feel like they aren't involved enough in the game at times.
Prediction for next year? 4th.
In fairness I've really enjoyed watching Gloucester play this year and agree injuries were big part in missing playoffs but the progression is noticeable and the way ye are playing the game has really been superb. I'd even say they are possibly the best team in league to watch

From a Saints point of view:

What were your pre-season predictions? - Pre-season I would have settled for Heineken Cup qualification as we were clearly in a bit of transition. Although we have achieved just that, the manner in which we've done so has been disappointing. Saints haven't been as hit and miss in years and we have had to grind out quite a few wins.

High point? - The away win in Ulster when nobody gave us a chance was pretty good. On a personal level, being there to witness a good away win against Exeter was something of a high. Certainly not been a season packed with memorable moments though. Yet.

Low point? - Getting stuffed by Tigers at home closely followed by Stephen Myler's last minute penalty hitting the bar against Sarries at MK. The two together show that one week we can mix it at the top of the league, the next we could be getting taught a lesson.

Best player? - Samu Manoa. Such a talented natural athlete. Has been consistently immense. Should have been on the Player of the Season shortlist.

Best new signing? - Poor year for signings all round really. James Wilson, Luther Burrell, Dom Waldouck and Ken Pisi have had their moments, and GJ Van Velze has improved as the season has gone on.

Worst new signing? Unfortunately has to go to Van Velze. Although he has picked his game up and gets top marks for effort, he was a yellow card machine during the first half of the season and has really struggled to fill the gap left by Roger Wilson.

What do you need to improve on? - Getting out of a one-dimensional game plan. Next year we have attacking talents like George North and Kahn Fotuali'i arriving - a more expansive game to complement our power up front could see us really kick on again.

Prediction for next year? - Top 4 is a must looking at the areas we should, in theory, be improving out squad. I'll stick my neck out and say I think we could sneak a home semi next year if our new signings (both on and off the pitch) have the impact everybody is hoping they will.

From a tigers fan

Pre-season predictions - 2nd thought quins would be 1st.

High point - Stuffing saints at the gardens,

Low Point - Bath lost a couple of weeks back, only because i know alot of bath fans, Toulon away is up there as the game was there for the taking.

Best Player - Salvi without him tigers have looked lost at times he is does the hard work in the rucks which allows croft to get his hands on the ball and do what he does best. honorable mention to a. Allen

New Signing - Adam Thompstone looks really good on the wing

Worst new signing - thorpe i guess not seen him at all.

Improve on - lacking the structure at the end of a match to finish it off like the tigers of old.

Next year - depends if we get a good replacement for castro and murphy, but going for 1st.

What were your pre-season predictions: I suppose I expected to reach the Quarters and truly believed we could reach the Semis after the pool stages.
High point: Definately the Quins match. It was good to see us really perform and prove that we're improving.
Low point: Glasgow match. Really **** result. but it probably did provoke the Quins performance
Best player: I'm going to say Dave Kilcoyne. He's been around the whole season and seemed to come from nowhere. He packed on a lot of muscle this season and can really bust people up through the season and is becoming an able for Munster. Honourable mentions to Zebo and Tommy O'Donnell
Best new signing: Our two big signings Downey and Laulala only came good at the end of the season. Dougall is technically good player and I liked what I saw of him early on. I think Laulala has the best potential. we just need to use him right. Run off him and he can create tries with his offloading and ability to get his hands free. I'm a fan of him, even though he wasn't great for much of the season. Stander has been unlucky but he looks good.
Worst new signing: I'm trying to think of one. I think they have all been decent even though many might view Downey and Laulala a waste of money, I think they will come good soon.
What do you need to improve on: Just play Munster Ball. Lets lose that wide passing game Penney was trying.
Prediction for next year: If we get a nice pool we'll get to the Quarter Finals and if we get a good break reach the Semis. Can't see us been good enough to get beyond that yet. Still give it a few years and we'll see

London Welsh

Relegation battle. Considering the team had 4 weeks to turn things around after winning the appeal. It was always going to be a tough season.

High point? Beating a few sides and causing some upsets. Not only that but the way the team played and won over many fans wherever they went. The players and the club as a whole should be proud of the effort they gave. Might have been in vain but they were a credit to the league.

Low point? Where to start? The whole getting into the Aviva Premiership was a shambles, to only be given 4 weeks to prepare was hardly enough. Probably the next and the killer blow the ... 'KeatsGate'. The whole thing was a shambles from start to finish. It killed the survival chance of the club. The blame can lay with solely one man, Mike Scott. It is a bitter pill to swallow but at the end of the day Tyson Keats was incorrectly registered and despite the good nature of London Welsh themselves alerting the authorities, it was a little to late.

Best player? Jon Mills, the lad was outstanding. Really battled hard all season and was an excellent captain. Henson when fit was superb as was Gordon Ross when he took over. Mills was the man however. Played with his heart on his sleeve. Hudson Tonga'uiha was influential when he played, but got injured and only ended representing the club on 9 occasions all season.

Best new signing?
Gavin Henson, Neil Briggs, Franck Montanella, Kirill Kulemin, Paulica Ion, Phil MacKenzie and Tom Arscott. There are a fair few. Each and everyone can say they added something to the London Welsh squad. The additions of Briggs, Ion and Montanella ensured a weakeness was filled and when they were fielded together they were very good. Big Mack was superb and gave everything. Henson when fit showed a lot of class, it was a pity he wasn't able to play more. Tyson Keats misses out, not because of the incident but more for the fact that he was up and down in terms of performances. Gonzalo Tiesi didn't play enough for the club, I am sure he would have featured had he played more.

Worst new signing
Probably Gareth Evans. He was signed as probably cover but never made the impact, playing only in Cup matches. To be fair he did have a stint on the sidelines through injury. But Evans was expected to make an impact. Maybe Julio Farias Cabello could be thrown into the mix. Don't think he had the impact which he would have wanted. Tom Voyce is another. Literally played nothing and was injured most of the time.

Ensuring that relegation doesn't affect the squad and people behind the squad to much. Lot of players have moved on already and the squad will likely need strengthening. However with money seemingly going to dry up, its a tougher task than first thought.

​Mid table finish in the Championship with an outside chance of making the play offs.

Newport Gwent Dragons

Midrange in bottom half (8-10th)
High point? Eh... Beating Munster two weeks back was nice, and we should have beaten Bayonne twice as well as Wasps.
Low point? Glasgow.
Best player? Lewis Evans lead from the front, Nic Cudd was a great signing, doubt it broke the bank but he has played his heart out. Jonathan Evans was the pick of the backs, looking for more from him!
Best new signing? Daniel Evans, looked good at standoff and fullback. Tom Prydie has also been pretty decent, certainly developing into a good club player, and nice to see him getting regular starts.
Worst new signing? Tim Ryan, Ian Nimmo. Big forwards who offered little but mass (and used ineffectually).
What do you need to improve on? Everything... Tight five needs some massive improvement. Elsewhere there is some young talent emerging.
Prediction for next year? Bottom half of table, in all seriousness. Whereabouts is open to interpretation.

Top four in the Pro 12, Heineken Cup knockout phase and seeing players develop.

High point?
Joe Schmidt getting the Ireland job.

Low point?
Losing at home to Clermont in Dublin.

Best player?
Fergus McFadden.

Best new signing?
Andrew Goodman. Signings weren't great to be honest.

Worst new signing?
Tom Denton

Squad depth. Injuries played a huge part in Leinster's failure to get out of their Heineken Cup pool. That shouldn't be an excuse and every effort should be made to ensure there are two strong starters for every position.

Rebuilding the squad in the Pro 12 so that long term replacements for O'Driscoll, D'arcy, Reddan, Boss, Ross and Cullen are found. A return to the last 8 in the Heineken Cup.

Ulster
1st in Rabbo and hopefully ERC final
High point?
Beating every Irish province at least once would be there
Low point?
Loss of the Spence's
Best player?
Andrew Trimble - took the province by storm top league scorer and great every game
Best new signing?
In terms of Impact big Nick Williams has tore **** up!
Worst new signing?
All our signing have been pretty good although I haven't been fused on Rob Herring
Not dropping mid season and being a whole game team not just a 2nd half squad
Same as I had pre season!

My expectations were to win something. That was the "Keep going forwards, look at the others, who should we fear" expectation though, can't really remember making a prediction... would have probably been Rabo Semi-Finals, HEC Quarter-Final minimum.

High point?

Uhm... where to begin? Trouncing Northampton at their place, beating Leinster home and away, the cathartic release of that first Cardiff match... finishing top of the Pro 12 table's probably the nicest bit.

Low point?

RIP wee Nev.

Best player?

Pastor Trimble has been consistently fit, a rarity around Ravenhill, and consistently deadly. Even when plumbing the depths we could rely on him to play with pride at least.

Best new signing?

Does academy players in their first year with the squad count? If so, then Olding by a country mile... no wait, Henderson would also be eligible... gods, how would I pick there? Lets say they're not and pick Nick Williams to make it easy.

Worst new signing?

"Knock knock?"
"Who's there?"
"NOC NOC!"
"Away to Jersey with ye!"

Even he's not been that bad...

Lots of small things; a lot of the youngsters need to keep growing, our breakdown suffers without Best and Henry, our lineout suffers without Muller, we're prone to being a little too lateral in the backs, the accuracy of our passing and ball presentation is rarely as it should be all game, but the BIG thing is we need a squad, particularly in the pack, our depth is simply inadequate for the challenge and goals set.

Lets win some shizzle.

Newport Gwent Dragons

Midrange in bottom half (8-10th)
High point? Eh... Beating Munster two weeks back was nice, and we should have beaten Bayonne twice as well as Wasps.
Low point? Glasgow.
Best player? Lewis Evans lead from the front, Nic Cudd was a great signing, doubt it broke the bank but he has played his heart out. Jonathan Evans was the pick of the backs, looking for more from him!
Best new signing? Daniel Evans, looked good at standoff and fullback. Tom Prydie has also been pretty decent, certainly developing into a good club player, and nice to see him getting regular starts.
Worst new signing? Tim Ryan, Ian Nimmo. Big forwards who offered little but mass (and used ineffectually).
What do you need to improve on? Everything... Tight five needs some massive improvement. Elsewhere there is some young talent emerging.
Prediction for next year? Bottom half of table, in all seriousness. Whereabouts is open to interpretation.

Says it all that your high point is nearly beating the reserve team of a low table Top 14 side Bayonne.

Latest posts