• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

your starting XV's

For what? There is all ready a NZ XV topic. How about you look for the topic before creating a new one?

Well, I guess the other topics are for the Autumn internationals (SH), so from my perspective (this is who I would like to see although I am pretty sure SA will select players like Ricky Januarie, Chiliboy Ralepele, a Ndungane brother and John Smit at prop albeit loosehaed this time around):

(when fit/eligable)

Guthro Steenkamp - Tony Woodcock - Ben Alexander
John Smit - Kevan Mealamu - Tatafu Polota-Nau (Moore)
BJ Botha - a Franks brother - Ben Robinson
Andries Bekker - Brad Thorn - Dean Mumm
Victor Matfield - Tom Donnelly - Nathan Sharpe
Schalk Burger - Adam Thomson - Rocky Elsom
Francois Louw (Smith) - Richie McCaw - David Pocock
Pierre Spies - Jerome Kaino - Stephen Hoiles (Palu)
Fourie du Preez - Jimmy Cowan - that Brumbies guy (Genia)
Morne Steyn - Dan Carter - Matt Giteau
Bryan Habana - Joe Rokocoko (Sivivatu) - Drew Mitchell
Wynand Olivier - Benson Stanley (Ma'a Nonu) - Quade Cooper
Jacque Fourie - Conrad Smith - Adam Ashley Cooper
Francois Hougaard - Cory Jane - Digby Iaone
Francois Steyn - Israel Dagg (Muliaina) - Peter Hynes

From this I can see that Aus and NZ are harder hit by injury than us even though our boys played more rugby? Brussouw and Bakkies to play themselves back through the Currie cup with Louw and Rossouw to warm their spots.

Francois Hougaard has been ruled out with a broken hand. Enter Gerhard van den Heever...

And yet we always have someone equally as good to fill in for them. We have more talent than any other nation if you ask me.

My Tri-Nations teams:
SA-NZ-AUS

1. CJ Van Der Linde - Tony Woodcock - Ben Robinson
2. Gary Botha - Keven Mealamu - Tatafu Polota-Nau
3. BJ Botha - Ben Franks - Ben Alexander
4. Andries Bekker - Brad Thorn - Dean Mumm
5. Victor Matfield - Tom Donnely - Nathan Sharpe
6. Schalk Burger - Victor Vito - Rocky Elsom
7. Francois Louw - Richie McCaw - Phil Waugh
8. Pierre Spies - Kieran Reid (I guess) - David Pockock
9. Sarel Pretorious (du Preez injury a huge blow) - Andy Ellis Way better then Weepu or Cowan - Will Genia
10. Morne Steyn - Dan Carter - Quade Cooper
11. Bryan Habana - Sivivatu - Drew Mitchell
12. Jean de Villiers - Conrad Smith I know he plays 13. - Matt Giteau
13. Jaques Fourie - Rene Ranger That's why I put Smith at 12 - Digby Ioane
14. Gerhard van den Heever - Joe Rockococo - Peter Hynes
15. Frans Steyn - Cory Jane - Adam Ashley-Cooper
16. Schalk Brits - Corey Flynn I think he is so under-rated - Stephen Moore
17. John Smit - Owen Franks - Salise Ma'afu
18. Danie Rossouw - Chris Jack - Mark Chisholm
19. Ryan Kankowski - Jerome Kaino - Stephen Hoiles
20. Michael Claasens - Piri Weepu - Luke Burgess
21. Butch James - Luke McCalister (Only because Donald and Delany are injured) - Ryan Cross
22. Wynand Olivier - Israel Dagg - James O'Connor

My Tri-Nations teams:
SA-NZ-AUS

1. CJ Van Der Linde - Tony Woodcock - Ben Robinson
2. Gary Botha - Keven Mealamu - Tatafu Polota-Nau
3. BJ Botha - Ben Franks - Ben Alexander
4. Andries Bekker - Brad Thorn - Dean Mumm
5. Victor Matfield - Tom Donnely - Nathan Sharpe
6. Schalk Burger - Victor Vito - Rocky Elsom
7. Francois Louw - Richie McCaw - Phil Waugh
8. Pierre Spies - Kieran Reid (I guess) - David Pockock
9. Sarel Pretorious (du Preez injury a huge blow) - Andy Ellis Way better then Weepu or Cowan - Will Genia
10. Morne Steyn - Dan Carter - Quade Cooper
11. Bryan Habana - Sivivatu - Drew Mitchell
12. Jean de Villiers - Conrad Smith I know he plays 13. - Matt Giteau
13. Jaques Fourie - Rene Ranger That's why I put Smith at 12 - Digby Ioane
14. Gerhard van den Heever - Joe Rockococo - Peter Hynes
15. Frans Steyn - Cory Jane - Adam Ashley-Cooper
16. Schalk Brits - Corey Flynn I think he is so under-rated - Stephen Moore
17. John Smit - Owen Franks - Salise Ma'afu
18. Danie Rossouw - Chris Jack - Mark Chisholm
19. Ryan Kankowski - Jerome Kaino - Stephen Hoiles
20. Michael Claasens - Piri Weepu - Luke Burgess
21. Butch James - Luke McCalister (Only because Donald and Delany are injured) - Ryan Cross
22. Wynand Olivier - Israel Dagg - James O'Connor

Andy Ellis? he would be among the worst All Blacks of the past 10 years in my opinion.
Conrad Smith is one of the only constant performers, makes no sense at all to move him.
Chris Jack has done nothing to prove he isnt over the hill.
Owen Franks is the superstar, Ben Franks is just solid.

Andy Ellis? he would be among the worst All Blacks of the past 10 years in my opinion.
Conrad Smith is one of the only constant performers, makes no sense at all to move him.
Chris Jack has done nothing to prove he isnt over the hill.
Owen Franks is the superstar, Ben Franks is just solid.

That's how their parents describe them to friends...

I agree with your point on Ellis, he is a very average AB.
I like Chris Jack, and considering we are down on test proven locks, I'd put him in the RWC squad providing he gets game time.
Moving Conrad Smith to 12 would be a travesty. Rene Ranger isn't worth moving Conrad Smith out of position.
As mentioned, Owen is the younger and more promising Franks brother, Ben is the solid but perhaps unspectacular brother.

Well all I know is that Andy Ellis really played well this year in the s14. To be completely honest I don't rate Conrad Smith that much. It's just that everyone says he's this rugby magician of some sort and I have never seen it and I've watched every s14 game and every All Black game for a while now. I think he's just another guy whos reputation makes people think he is amazing but the fact is he hasn't done anything special in a very long time. He wasn't even in the top 5 New Zealand centres IMO for the s14.

Yeah, I mean I don't know how you can't rate the guy. He is underrated in my opinion. It's not he survives off opinions. I suggest you try and find a mistake in his game next time you watch him. Ellis was the worse NZ halfback in the S14 (bar perhaps Leonard), and even was shown up by his replacement.

Yeah, I mean I don't know how you can't rate the guy. He is underrated in my opinion. It's not he survives off opinions. I suggest you try and find a mistake in his game next time you watch him. Ellis was the worse NZ halfback in the S14 (bar perhaps Leonard), and even was shown up by his replacement.

Find me something special in his game next time you watch him

Find me something special in his game next time you watch him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jnbc4wAddKI
For a start, however I can easily find things great about his game in any game I watch with him. He never misses tackles, he sets up most of the Hurricanes tries. He has great timing etc. It is silly to say he is unspecial or ordanary as if he was that poor, I'm pretty certain he wouldn't start as many tests as he does, especially as he starts above Toeava and Kahui. In fact he was probably the best All Black during the end of year tour, and was player of the match against France.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jnbc4wAddKI
For a start, however I can easily find things great about his game in any game I watch with him. He never misses tackles, he sets up most of the Hurricanes tries. He has great timing etc. It is silly to say he is unspecial or ordanary as if he was that poor, I'm pretty certain he wouldn't start as many tests as he does, especially as he starts above Toeava and Kahui. In fact he was probably the best All Black during the end of year tour, and was player of the match against France.

I know he's not crap but he's no where near as good as he used to be is my point. I can't watch that video as my 3G cap is almost up, but I'm assuming its from a couple of years ago?

No, last year. He is performing better than ever lately. He was the end of year tours bast performer and had a very good S14 in an unspectacular Hurricanes team. I can't provide the evidence you ask me to, if you can't access it, lol. Either way, I suggest next time you watch him play, see if he creates good play, runs good lines, makes all the tackles etc. If you can't see that when you watch him, then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Well all I know is that Andy Ellis really played well this year in the s14.

didn't Khan Fotuali'i start most of the games for Crusaders this year? he was awesome but they benched him for the last few games this season (which they lost), guess they had too many darkies in the team :p

Last edited:
Whats with the hating on Conrad Smith. He'll keep the number 13 jersey this season easy. Not a flashy player but definately a solid performer. Watch him school that old guy something O'Driscoll this weekend 'rugbywriter', if that is your real name.

Whats with the hating on Conrad Smith. He'll keep the number 13 jersey this season easy. Not a flashy player but definately a solid performer. Watch him school that old guy something O'Driscoll this weekend 'rugbywriter', if that is your real name.
Drat, I got some solid backup right until you said, "that old guy something O'Driscoll", probably one of the most famous rugby players in the game. I think you're looking for Brian O'Driscoll.

Jeez guys calm down. I never said Conrad Smith is a bad player. I just feel that he's not as good as you guys make him out to be. And saying that he's better then O'Driscoll is absolutely ludicrous.

Ok I know ime breaking forum rules when i say this but right now i think that Smith might just be a little better than BOD hes not off from just not on fire like last year.

Latest posts