• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Your worst "great movie"

Big Ewis

Hall of Fame
Country Flag
France
Club or Nation
Toulon
Let me know what you think is THE worst movie (or make a little list, but do mention the single worst) from the films that are commonly heralded as 'great', classics, "essential".
For e.g., Carpenter's Halloween is considered a seminal masterpiece and I think it's a steaming pile of dick tumor.
Name a reason or two briefly (or not briefly) for it as well.

I'm interested in reading opinions and won't judge anyone. You can call the Matrix a piece of stretched out alligator ball sac tissue if you wish, if that's just how you feel then well no actually if you do that I will find you and I will kill you in cold blood shortly after you've made the post...but let's try to focus on everything I said before that came out just now. Positive attitude is key.

Scarface, Goodfellas, Godfather (Basically any Mafia type film)
Pulp Fiction
Anything by Tim Burton, esp Nightmare Before Christmas
Any horror film
Anything by Scorsese and/or Tarantino

I'm not sure reading the rest of your post about how serious you are, but if you mean this...:cryy: thank you. Thank you. I temporarily love you to death (although we can return to our wasteful quarrels after I'm done hugging you. Yes, I'm currently hugging you, provided you're serious here, because IF NOT !!! I unhand you, stare at you gravely for a moment and then moonwalk into darkness, all the while staring).

Everyone's saying how great Gone Girl is, biggest anti-climax ever. it builds up to possibly be something good for half the film and them fizzle out. i left the cinema thinking "was that it?"

also hurt locker. it's just meh. so many better war films out there.

Dances With Wolves. Native American history and culture have long been a huge interest of mine (I always wanted to be an anthropologist or archaeologist), and was quite keen on this film since it was heralded as the film that finally portrayed Native Americans as they really were. Well...the only Indian bit that I remember from the film was that they had sex in their lodges...as if we didn't realize that already. The rest of the film was just wanton slaughter designed to stir up passions and emotions. I HATED it and walked out on the end. It was a manipulative piece of propaganda.

(A great 'Native American' film for any who are interested is Dustin Hoffman's Little Big Man, which weaves actual events into the storyline. For modern Indian culture I suggest Smoke Signals, written and produced by Sherman Alexie, a Native American himself.)

In close second place for me is E.T. - Hated. It. on every level.

das

Last edited:
"The English Patient"

This one of only two movies where I walked out of the cinema before the end. It was so boring!

The second one was "The Hurt Locker" which, while not boring, was just utter crap from the get-go. It was universally panned by Iraqi war vets as being nothing like what it tries to portray.

How it won the Oscar for best movie when it was against so many far better movies such as "Avatar", "District 9" and "Inglourious Basterds" can only be put down to Hollywood politics; some memebrs of the Academy didn't like James Cameron so they decided to stick it to him by giving his ex-wife the Oscars for Best Picture and Best Director.

(A great 'Native American' film for any who are interested is Dustin Hoffman's Little Big Man, which weaves actual events into the storyline. For modern Indian culture I suggest Smoke Signals, written and produced by Sherman Alexie, a Native American himself.)

You should try to get a copy of Black Robe which came out around the same time as Dances with Wolves. It is everything that Dances with Wolves ought to have been.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVfMsZMiSzY

Last edited:
"The English Patient"

This one of only two movies where I walked out of the cinema before the end. It was so boring!

The second one was "The Hurt Locker" which, while not boring, was just utter crap from the get-go. It was universally panned by Iraqi war vets as being nothing like what it tries to portray.

How it won the Oscar for best movie when it was against so many far better movies such as "Avatar", "District 9" and "Inglourious Basterds" can only be put down to Hollywood politics; some memebrs of the Academy didn't like James Cameron so they decided to stick it to him by giving his ex-wife the Oscars for Best Picture and Best Director.
Oscar politics has nothing to do with it. James Cameron just hasn't come up with a movie that's deserved the Oscar. The Hurt Locker is so much better than Avatar for instance. Avatar is ham-fisted, lacks a single interesting character and was so utterly predictable. The only good spot on it was that it was pretty. Up or Inglorious Basterds should have taken it that year though. (Although I haven't seen A Serious Man yet.)

I really disliked Groundhog Day. Interesting premise but I found it really dull.

Pulp Fiction
Anything by Tim Burton, esp Nightmare Before Christmas
Any horror film
Anything by Scorsese and/or Tarantino

I got through all of that not agreeing, but kind of understanding.

Then you said that you don't like Scorsese. whhyyyy

Last edited:
True Grit with Jeff Bridges. Boring as hell. Couldn't understand a word he was saying half the time. Mumble mumble mumble.

I got through all of that not agreeing, but kind of understanding.

Then you said that you don't like Scorsese. whhyyyy

Just find the content of his films wildly OTT and uncessesary.

:eek: You are dead to me.

I think I get more hate from not liking that than I do for the others. Especially I'm the only one in my family that dislikes it. I just find Burton's style a bit too creepy for my tastes

I think I get more hate from not liking that than I do for the others. Especially I'm the only one in my family that dislikes it. I just find Burton's style a bit too creepy for my tastes

And so you should! ;)

Nah i can see why you wouldn't like it, there is a vibe with all his movies which can be hit or miss. Some of his newer or non-animated films go straight over my head with their attempt to be unique and creepy. Some i love

And so you should! ;)

Nah i can see why you wouldn't like it, there is a vibe with all his movies which can be hit or miss. Some of his newer or non-animated films go straight over my head with their attempt to be unique and creepy. Some i love

Think the only one I tolerated was his go at The War Of The Worlds (apart from that really annoying, screaming bratty kid). Not a terrible film but give me the book or Musical Versions anyday

avatar, the lord of the rings trilogy(book included), E.T, the hangover, fitzcarraldo
@smartcooky watched black robe many years ago but will watch it again now that you brought it up, cheers. But I loved the English patient, though I did suffer in the theatre with a massive dry throat and wanted it to speed up a bit. @dasNdanger did you ever watch soldier blue?

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone raved about Ted and Anchorman thought they were both ****.

Ted was such a promising concept but you soon realised it was Seth McFarlane putting all the jokes he hadn't managed to get into Family Guy in a different format. Theyre making a sequel I think you'll be pleased to know

Think the only one I tolerated was his go at The War Of The Worlds (apart from that really annoying, screaming bratty kid). Not a terrible film but give me the book or Musical Versions anyday

I don't mind the film, but it didn't do much for me. The kid and the angsty running away demanding to join the 'army' were cringe. The musical versions are outstanding. Have you seen the live stage version, i think it was at the 02 arena in something like 2010. I used to have it recorded when i had sky, really liked it.

Latest posts