• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Your, you're, there, their, they're and other difficulties...

TRF_Ezequiel

Kanko Krazy!!!
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Sharks
I see it almost every day and it frustrates me time and time again. People using the wrong words without even knowing that.

The most annoying mistakes are when people confuse your with you're and the trinity there, their and they're.

Tell me what other annoying mistakes you've seen people make when it comes to this. I am curious to see what else we can put on the list

Yeah this really annoys me too. Constantly have to correct people, and am usually given the reply "Jesus, it doesn't matter", but to me it matters a lot. I always just thought it was me being pedantic, but, as this thread shows, its just lots of people are very ignorant to correct English.

Other things that grind my gears:
  • When people get sayings or idioms wrong. Some classic real life examples include: "Been there, done that, wore the t'shirt", "After this season of Britain's got talent I think they'll plug it"
  • General poor punctuation that makes sentences unreadable, or their meaning ambiguous.

My Granddad actually gave me a really interesting book about misuse of punctuation called 'Eats shoots and leaves'. Well worth a read if you are commenting on this thread!

Its and It's. Is another one.

It's not as annoying as the other ones because it's less obvious than the other ones but I think people should just get it shoved down their throats all through school;

It's = a contraction.
Its = Possessive adjective/pronoun for it.

What I just saw on Facebook, is a guy using his in stead of he's.

In other words: His a moron ;)

You are = you're

The ***le should have been "Players you're most worried about"

At times however people are quite pedantic about things like this. Often people who are dyslexic get things like this wrong and people who have a problem with seeing people getting these things wrong don't think about it and often open their mouths and say the wrong thing when they don't understand the situation.

Something that doesn't really annoy me, but surprises me a bit is some really common spelling mistakes in players' names, as James O'Conner and Kieran Reid.

I probably do more mistakes than most people here, but I think that not being a native is a good enough excuse. Feel free to correct anyway, always eager to learn.

At times however people are quite pedantic about things like this. Often people who are dyslexic get things like this wrong and people who have a problem with seeing people getting these things wrong don't think about it and often open their mouths and say the wrong thing when they don't understand the situation.

There's a difference between people who don't know any better and people who should know. How difficult is it to get simple things like you're, your, they're and than right? Is it a lack of education? Or just people being lazy?

Latest posts