• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Zimbabwe & Namibian national teams

Seaton

First XV
Club or Nation
Sharks
Just thinking, how good would the Zimbabwen national team be if all the players born there that represent other countries played for Zims?
Namibia to a certain extent as well

Can anyone help me compose two international teams? I know there are A LOT of 'SA' players that are from Zims/Namibia, however their names escape me the now...
Zimbabwe
Note: All players would preferably be alive and in a state where they could play, so if they have retired in the last 5 years or so that is ok

1. Beast Mtwarira
2. Pieter Dixon
3. Brian Mujati
6. Scott Gray
7. David Pocock
8. Bobby Skinstad (argh...)

11. Tonderai Chavanga
12. Max Evans
13. Thom Evans (we are dealing in the world of ifs and buts here...)
14. Ngwenya

Namibia

1. Wicus Blaauw
3. Jaco Engels
4. Anton Bresler (apparently)
6. Jacques Burger
7. Pieter Myburgh (plays for Western Province)
8. Marcelle Coetzee ( Sharks u21)
15. Percy Montgomery

It's amazing what info you can find looking at old match programmes :p

Last edited:
Thanks to Wikipedia:

Brian Mujati, Percy Montgomery, Tonderai Chavhanga, Pieter Dixon, David Curtis

1. Beast
2. Dixon
3. Mooj
4. Shaw (certain he was born in Zimb)
5. ???
6. ???
7. Pocock
11. Chavhanga
13. Curtis - Probably would still play if he "were" Namibian/Zimb
14. Ngwenya
15. Percy - Probably would still play if he "were" Namibian/Zimb

Good starting point.

Golden Oldies: Gary Teichmann, Ray Mordt, Bobby Skinstad, Adrian Garvey and Andy Marinos

Thom Evans was born in Harare.

@Bullitt - Shaw was born in Nairobi, Kenya ;)

Last edited:
Zamiba

Close, but not quite what we're looking for ;)

Thanks for the addtitions fae everyone

Damnnit, I knew something wasn't right. Zambia and Zimbabwe, close in both name and geography.

Its a shame the Zimbabwean team went from appearing in the 1987 and 1991 RWC's to an also ran in African qualifying. In 1987 they lost to Romania by only one point 21-20 in their pool match.

Although pretty much the same can be said for all aspects of life in Zimbabwe, hopefully better years ahead for the citizens of that country.

Born in Zambia to a Zimbabwean mother i think you'll find..

Interesting...

To keep things simple, I think it might be better to keep to countries of birth, otherwise we might uncover that half of the South African and Australian teams actually have their heritage from Zimbabwe :p

I must say that that Zim team is pretty decent, I wouldn't put it past them beating either Scotland/ Italy

Last edited:
Best Zimabwe XV possible :

1-Tendai Mtwarira (Sharks/Sprinbok) - born in Harare, Zimbabwe
2-Pieter Dixon (Natal) - born in Harare, Zimbabwe
3-Brian Mujati (Northampton Saints/Sprinbok) - born Bulawayo, Zimbabwe
4-Michael Passaportis (Rhône Ovalie Club Federale2) - Zimbabwe U19 international
5-Don Armand (Stormers) - born in Harare, Zimbabwe
6-David Denton (Edinburgh/Scotland) - born in Marondera, Zimbabwe
7-David Pocock (Western Force/Wallaby) - born in Gweru, Zimbabwe
8-David Ewers (Exeter Chiefs) - born in Harare, Zimbabwe
9-Ian Prior (Brumbies/Australia U20) - family from Zimbabwe
10-Kyle Godwin (Western Force/Australia U20) - born in Harare, Zimbabwe
11-Tonderai Chavhanga (Newport Gwent Dragons/Sprinbok) - born in Masvingo, Zimbabwe
12-Dante Mama (Doncaster) - Zimbabwe U20 international
13-Garth Ziegler (Petrarca Padova) - born in Harare, Zimbabwe
14-Takudzwa Ngwenya (Biarritz Olympique/USA) - born in Harare, Zimbabwe
15-Nils Mordt (Saracens/Saxons) - born in Harare, Zimbabwe

Last edited:
Best Zimabwe XV possible :1-Tendai Mtwarira (Sharks/Sprinbok) - born in Harare, Zimbabwe2-Pieter Dixon (Natal) - born in Harare, Zimbabwe3-Brian Mujati (Northampton Saints/Sprinbok) - born Bulawayo, Zimbabwe4-Michael Passaportis (Rhône Ovalie Club Federale2) - Zimbabwe U19 international5-Don Armand (Stormers) - born in Harare, Zimbabwe 6-David Denton (Edinburgh/Scotland) - born in Marondera, Zimbabwe7-David Pocock (Western Force/Wallaby) - born in Gweru, Zimbabwe8-David Ewers (Exeter Chiefs) - born in Harare, Zimbabwe9-Ian Prior (Brumbies/Australia U20) - family from Zimbabwe10-Kyle Godwin (Western Force/Australia U20) - born in Harare, Zimbabwe11-Tonderai Chavhanga (Newport Gwent Dragons/Sprinbok) - born in Masvingo, Zimbabwe12-Dante Mama (Doncaster) - Zimbabwe U20 international13-Garth Ziegler (Petrarca Padova) - born in Harare, Zimbabwe14-Takudzwa Ngwenya (Biarritz Olympique/USA) - born in Harare, Zimbabwe15-Nils Mordt (Saracens/Saxons) - born in Harare, Zimbabwe
Good work!

Just thinking, how good would the Zimbabwen national team be if all the players born there that represent other countries played for Zims?
Namibia to a certain extent as well

Can anyone help me compose two international teams? I know there are A LOT of 'SA' players that are from Zims/Namibia, however their names escape me the now...
Zimbabwe
Note: All players would preferably be alive and in a state where they could play, so if they have retired in the last 5 years or so that is ok

1. Beast Mtwarira
2. Pieter Dixon
3. Brian Mujati
6. Scott Gray
7. David Pocock
8. Bobby Skinstad (argh...)

11. Tonderai Chavanga
12. Max Evans
13. Thom Evans (we are dealing in the world of ifs and buts here...)
14. Ngwenya

Namibia

1. Wicus Blaauw
3. Jaco Engels
4. Anton Bresler (apparently)
6. Jacques Burger
7. Pieter Myburgh (plays for Western Province)
8. Marcelle Coetzee ( Sharks u21)
15. Percy Montgomery

It's amazing what info you can find looking at old match programmes :p

Pieter Myburgh was born in Windhoek yes, but he's a South African. he was with me in Pre-primary and Primary school before he moved to the Cape. Both his parents are also South African Citizens.

Jacques Burger and Jaco Engels have played for Namibia, so I guess they serve as just a filler to the Squad?

I think if we dig a little deeper, we would get a lot more names, but I'm a bit lazy to do that now.

George Gregan and Corne Krige are both born in Zambia.

Pieter Myburgh was born in Windhoek yes, but he's a South African. he was with me in Pre-primary and Primary school before he moved to the Cape. Both his parents are also South African Citizens.

As with the already/past Bok players in that list (which mind was composed nearly 2 years ago), just a hypothetical bit of fun.

Jacques Burger and Jaco Engels have played for Namibia, so I guess they serve as just a filler to the Squad?

I think if we dig a little deeper, we would get a lot more names, but I'm a bit lazy to do that now.

Indeed we could, but as noted to keep it simple the names/players I added were/are qualified by birth in the country, so as to avoid assembling a composite Southern Hemisphere XV.

Latest posts